"Slipping" into neutral

Thread: "Slipping" into neutral

Bike
    Honda NC19

"Slipping" into neutral

Here's the problem...

The light turns green and I start moving. After the intersection I shift into second. I start giving it throttle and I accelerate for about 3 seconds in second gear and then suddenly... VROOM!!! It goes into neutral and engine redlines.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Shylock
    That happens to me sometimes. It just means it never fully got into second. If you make an effort to give it a good click rather then just a tap - that should solve it.

Wanna come over for lunch Array ehtaylor's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 GSXR 1000
    I used to get that on my R1 , had to get the tranny rebuilt.Do you wheelie a lot?
    Maybe check the linkage's on the shifter , sometimes they can bind.
    Bring it on Fatboy

Twins Are Better Array IcemanRR's Avatar
    Bike
    1998 TLR
    check the oil. time for a change? how is the chain, is it at a good tension?

kick harder..

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    Try adjust ing your shifter for a little more leverage. It is surprising how many tranny problems are "cured" by this.

Crotch

Registered User Array evo-blade's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR9 '98
    Could be a toasted clutch. I had that happen on my bike and had to replace the clutch plates. Only happened when I was hard on the gas.. one of the shitties feelings you can get when you're hard on the gas.. go to shift and Vroom... do don't get any gear and your tach redlines!!!.. If this is happening not only from first to second.. then it's probably the clutch.

Smoker
    Could be any of the above.

But if you notice that the problem only occurs during hard accelerating and only second gear than it's probably transmission problems.

Chances are you will need to replace that gear. When you change gears the shifter locks the gear into place. Over time the dog (part the locks the gear in place) rounds off and starts to pop out. Common problem on bikes that have been trashed or high mileage.

Smoker
    If your talking about a NS400R. I just sold a bike like that with a second gear problem.

Replacement parts are not available. PM me for more info.

Bike
    this happened to me at Whistler yesterday, sitting at red light, goes green, i take off quick, bump it up to 2nd and goosed it, then a few seconds later it pops outta second into neutral and the revs shoot way up. Just gotta make sure you bump it up into 2nd real good, instead of a half-ass tap.
    BCSB- Moderator

Vertigo
    Originally posted by CrotchetyRocket
    Try adjust ing your shifter for a little more leverage. It is surprising how many tranny problems are "cured" by this.

Crotch
    bingo. it seems like nobody adjusts their pedals when they get a bike. i used to have the same problem until i adjusted mine. hasnt happened even once since.

Bike
    Honda NC19
    Originally posted by Smoker
    If your talking about a NS400R. I just sold a bike like that with a second gear problem.

Replacement parts are not available. PM me for more info.
    Actually I think Smoker hit this one riht on the dot. I sort of recall reading somewhere that there's a problem with second gear on most NS400R's... Perhaps this was the problem that I was reading about. Now if only I could find that link again...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

Smoker
    Yeah there was a recall after 1986. It involved replacing the gear, drum parts, and the shifter fork.

The gear is still available but not the shifter fork. What happens is everytime the gear pops out it causes the shifter fork to bend and makes the problem worst.

I've found a few wreckers in Canada that have NS400R's.

Check out this site:

http://www.soniccyclesalvage.com/

They have an NS400R scrapped, complete transmission for $300, crank for $500.

I have more info, I'll post it tomorrow when I get back to work.

Bike
    Honda NC19
    Originally posted by Smoker
    Yeah there was a recall after 1986. It involved replacing the gear, drum parts, and the shifter fork.

The gear is still available but not the shifter fork. What happens is everytime the gear pops out it causes the shifter fork to bend and makes the problem worst.

I've found a few wreckers in Canada that have NS400R's.

Check out this site:

http://www.soniccyclesalvage.com/

They have an NS400R scrapped, complete transmission for $300, crank for $500.

I have more info, I'll post it tomorrow when I get back to work.
    Hmm... Thanks for the info. Sounds like if I plan on keeping my NS for a while I should probably look into getting these parts replaced.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    happens to me too
    im pretty sure its half assing the shift to 2nd more than it is my bike having problems..
    no