Need The Gogo Juice

Thread: Need The Gogo Juice

Hookedonphonics dropout Array f4kneedragger's Avatar
    Bike
    Arseefiddywun

Lightbulb Need The Gogo Juice

Just thought I would share a humbling observation from this weekend. Went out for a long ride Sat. morn. on little sleep and even less food in my belly. It was a scorcher and I was keeping myself hydrated, but as the day wore on I started making poor decisions and it almost resulted in a crash.
    When I first started riding my friends and I used to mock the "seasoned " riders about their advice and emphasis on a pre ride meal, after a close call with a fellow rider and the gravel shoulder I was rethinking my morning routine.
    " JESUS SAVES "...
    " But Miroslav Satan picks up the rebound and SCORES!!!"
    " What a move!, he beat JC like a redheaded step child."

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

dn
    It only takes a brief lap in judgement to make a very costly mistake.

I really try and not ride if I feel tired, or I'm in generally pissed off the world for one reason or another.

Be careful out there.

-dn

Bike
    600RR Yeeeellllooow
    Eat more chili... then you'll have lots of gas and if you hold a lighter to your butt, you can blow out fire.. natural bodily NOS for your bike...
    We rode our bikes together, we laughed together, we cryed together, we even lived together. All our friends said we were a the perfect match. I can tell the world that I know I'm the luckiest person alive because I got to live my dream for 3 years 7 months and 11 days.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    i experianced true tiredness on my bike for the first time yesterday comming home form surrey
    almost fell asleep on it... and it wasnt even late in the night. made sure to get a lot of sleep that night, it was kinda scarey how you can be affected
    no

KruzeMissile
    Yeah riding is like anything else that requires "concentrated" concentration. like flying, operating heavy machinery, and anything else you see on the back of a pill bottle saying not to opreate while under it's influence.
    Not a good idea to go rippin' around while groggy, it takes about 1/5 of a second to get into trouble.

Bike
    sorta
    I agree with you all. First and only time I dropped my bike (I was extremely exhausted) resulted from a U-turn off of a gravel covered shoulder (a smaller side street). Foot went down ,...slipped on the gravel,...bike went over and I just didn't have the strength to keep it (way too fatigued). Only minor scratches and luckily I wasn't acutally moving. NOW I don't ride if I am too tired, or I pop some uppers beforehand,...Hehe. JK.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    What is far more important than the pre-ride meal is drinking lots of water. HAveing a coke and a burger for lunch in pentcton is a bad thing. The caffiene dehydrates you and your digestive trac pulls water away from the rest of you to handle the burger.

On all long rides I carry 4L of water in a water-bag (it fits easily in my tankbag) and try my best to drink at least a 1/2liter per hour.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    I started riding with a camel back and it makes a huge difference. One: I am way more alert, and two: Because you are sipping all day instead of pounding water down at each stop you don't have this raging urge to pee because your body is absorbing most of what you drink.

Last year I when we would stop I would just lay down on the grass for 15 minutes and close my eyes. Alot of people thought it was funny, and there are a few pics around here somewhere, but that pause was very refreshing.

I hae getting "Road Head"
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Bike
    (^_^)
    Originally posted by CDG
    I started riding with a camel back and it makes a huge difference. One: I am way more alert, and two: Because you are sipping all day instead of pounding water down at each stop you don't have this raging urge to pee because your body is absorbing most of what you drink.

Last year I when we would stop I would just lay down on the grass for 15 minutes and close my eyes. Alot of people thought it was funny, and there are a few pics around here somewhere, but that pause was very refreshing.

I hae getting "Road Head"
    That camel back sounds like it was worth the money; very cool!

I have never actually gone and taken a 'time-out' on the grass like you say, but when I am somewhat fatigued and want to relax in the middle of a trip I will space out for a while during a break.

Example: Everyone sits down for lunch/coffee/whatever and has a chat. I share one or two words with others around me and then proceed to stare into open space, at nothing in particular (trees blowing in the wind, a stream, clouds, birds, a chipmunk, etc.), saying nothing, for a good 5 minutes.

I get the feeling that people think I'm a little odd when I do this, but nobody has complained and it is really relaxing; meditation-like.
    When I get back on the road I am ready to ride.
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA
    Yeah, I'll second the camelback idea. Hydrate or die!

You don't even notice a few litres of water on your back when you're riding, and most of them will fit under leathers.

As an added bonus, if you find yourself in the ditch, water is always important to have.

-Matt

Bike
    '07 GSX-R 750
    Originally posted by Jayson
    i experianced true tiredness on my bike for the first time yesterday comming home form surrey
    almost fell asleep on it... and it wasnt even late in the night. made sure to get a lot of sleep that night, it was kinda scarey how you can be affected
    me too...2:30 am on hwy 99 comin into surrey...restin my chin on the tank...coulda slept rite there...

the best way to make sure ur well fed and energized b4 a ride...is plenty of Nandos Chicken!
    25,000 feet is my own little piece of heaven

Midnight Rider Array TeknicGSXR's Avatar
    Bike
    1997 GSXR 750 Red / Blk
    Hey guys where can I get one of those camelback thingys?
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Coast Mountain Sports carries them.
    SportsCheck
    Mountain Equipment Co-Op
    Any ski/snowboard shop.
    Check online because there are alot of different models. I have a 100oz capacity model. I never fill it more than half. I mean who's gonna drink 100oz of water between stops?

http://www.camelback.com/

Heck they even have a motorcyccle specific section: Just click on "Products"
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Midnight Rider Array TeknicGSXR's Avatar
    Bike
    1997 GSXR 750 Red / Blk
    Perfect thx.
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely