2010 gsxr start up issue
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2010 gsxr start up issue

  1. #1
    Registered User Array brewed in bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    2010 gsx-r 600

    2010 gsxr start up issue

    Hey all, long time lurker seldom poster.Recently just shortly after start up my bike began to idle low and eventually died. Something that has happened in the past only this time when I tried to start it up again all i got is a clicking from behind the battery. The battery is brand new, ive checked the connections and fuses everything appears in order. Could be the starter solenoid from what ive read, im not all that mechanically inclined but am trying to avoid costly shop time lol

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Fixxa of 2-wheeled beasts Array
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    hondayamasuzkasaki
    sounds like a weak battery.... take the battery out and get it tested or charge it up. These bikes are dependent on a strong battery voltage (DCV 12.3+

  4. #3
    Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    K1300R
    Go to Canadian tire, buy a cheap multimeter (aka voltmeter). Youtube how to use a volt meter (it's pretty simple). Test your meter on some AA batteries or whatever you have and make sure you're getting correct readings (1-1.5 volts for AA/AAA batteries)

    Open up your seat or wherever your battery is located and stick the probes into the battery terminal. The meter should give you a reading between 0-20volts. 0 volts means you're doing it wrong. 20 volts means your battery is shot. The sweet spot is somewhere between 12V and 14V.

    Then hit the starter with the meter hooked up. Does the voltage dip? Does it stay the same?



    If it dips drastically, then your battery might be dead.
    If it doesn't dip, then there's a relay problem.

    Regardless report back!

  5. #4
    GSX R600 K9 Array vancitymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Before the engine died, did you notice the red check engine light go on?

    To me it sounds like you need a ned rectifier. The same shit happened to my 09 gixxer.


    Download the service manuals. It shows you how to diagnose problems with your 2010 gsrx600.

    http://servicemanualsgsxr.com/suzuki...ervice-manual/

  6. #5
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Autobahn.
    Bike
    2014 S1000RR
    ^ is probably right. A lot of gixxers come across that.

  7. #6
    100% Asshole Array SpookyjacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by brewed in bc View Post
    Hey all, long time lurker seldom poster.Recently just shortly after start up my bike began to idle low and eventually died. Something that has happened in the past only this time when I tried to start it up again all i got is a clicking from behind the battery. The battery is brand new, ive checked the connections and fuses everything appears in order. Could be the starter solenoid from what ive read, im not all that mechanically inclined but am trying to avoid costly shop time lol
    Save yourself the headache... if you openly admit you're not that mechanically inclined listening to the advice of a forum is not going to help you much.

    I think you'd be better served to ask for a good reputable shop in your area.

  8. #7
    Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    604
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyjacK View Post
    Save yourself the headache... if you openly admit you're not that mechanically inclined listening to the advice of a forum is not going to help you much.

    I think you'd be better served to ask for a good reputable shop in your area.
    What he said..
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

    ...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

  9. #8
    Registered User Array brewed in bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    2010 gsx-r 600
    Thanks for the quick & numerous replys everybody! Will definitely be picking up a voltmeter this weekend as its handy to have regardless. Will also be downloading the service manual. @vancitymike the light didnt come on until after it died, there was also a significant backfire(I do have a two bros full exhaust). The light however is off now. I know it would be much less a hassle to bring it to holeshot(a few blocks away) but im in a tight spot financially at the moment so that will be a last resort. Also this may serve as baby steps in becoming more hands on, something i told myself id do when i bought the bike

  10. #9
    100% Asshole Array SpookyjacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Bike
    N/A
    There are a lot of shops better than Holeshot...just saying.

  11. #10
    Registered User Array brewed in bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    2010 gsx-r 600
    Ive heard this from a few people particularly when it comes to what they charge $/hour shop time. I get a discount on parts seeing as i bought my bike there but im open to new shop suggestions.

  12. #11
    100% Asshole Array SpookyjacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by brewed in bc View Post
    Ive heard this from a few people particularly when it comes to what they charge $/hour shop time. I get a discount on parts seeing as i bought my bike there but im open to new shop suggestions.
    In Langley? Try Dave @ Supersport

  13. #12
    Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array EdmondsBatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Surrey/Langley/Burnaby/Abbotsford
    Bike
    Looking
    Sounds like a charging issue to me. When you get that checked/fixed, also remember to charge your battery up with a proper charger before riding, otherwise you risk damaging the new stator by trying to charge a discharged battery. Stators (and reg/rec) are good at running bikes, but not charging batteries.
    *Quote "BCSportbikes.com" to receive 15% off ANY new in stock Battery!
    www.edmondsbatteries.net
    Automotive - Marine - Deep Cycle - Power Sport - Home Alarm
    Authorized dealer of Yuasa (Motocross), Odyssey, Shorai, Northstar, Deltran Battery Tender,Noco Genius, Energy Power, Fisher Price Power-Wheels

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •