Where did the term "squid" come from
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where did the term "squid" come from

98smokinjoe

Where did the term "squid" come from

A few buddies and me were talking the other night about the post about riding squid, and nobody could come up with where the term came from.
    Just wanted to know if anyone could enlighten us.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Jason R
    Squids go fast in a straight line but are slow side to side. I donno about the rest.

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    I've heard it's a combo of 'Squirly kid'. Who knows though.

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    Originally posted by Scheme

I've heard that the term came from the fact that people look like squids when they're sliding down the road with their arms and legs flailing about.
    I hardly doubt that's where the term came from...just the version i heard.... i'd sure love to hear the right one though
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Whach u talkn bout Willis Array smokedvw's Avatar
    Bike
    its got 2 wheels
    Yeah I have no clue either

Ride to you limits Array clutch's Avatar
    Bike
    To big and to fast for you
    Originally posted by Scheme
    Scheme is COrrect you win a prize

Allot of Acrinims for bikers come from believe it or not the Harley-Davidson Culture

SUQirly kID SUQID
    RUB
    Rich urban biker Biker with more money than brains...

1%r
    A name for the 1% of bikers who are really bad trouble makers

Apes, Ape Hangers or Hangers

Refers to very tall, somewhat wide handlebars - usually seen on choppers.

Brain Bucket, Skid Lid, etc..

What else but a helmet.

Cage or Cagers

Cagers are those who sit in 4-wheeled metal cages when traveling from one place to another.

Chopper

Generally could mean several things. If a brother takes his ride and leaves it mostly stock & just trims it down with accessories such as drag bars closed in lighting system and the list goes on - it could be called a chopper. But technically chopper means extending the length of the bike and making it a totally customized bike built just for you (forks have been "chopped" & extended). This generally means cutting and changing the dimensions of the frame. changing the ride height and adding parts built to fit that bike.

Crotch Rocket

Speed bike - Ninja, Kujo, HariCary, etc. Also known as the first stage of bike trash left alongside the highway because a 100 mph RUB hit a 35 mph Cager because he was a SQUID and trying to show off what he didn't have - experience.

Evo or Evolution

Introduced in 1984 the Evo was the most radical change Harley motors had seen. With aluminum cylinders as well as new aluminum heads designed to decrease oil leakage. Side-squish combustion chambers and flat pistons. A new lower end designed for electronic ignition for better spark control. All these changes came about as a result of higher big-brother emission standards. which the shovel just did not seem to be able to handle. The Evo was proven to be the most reliable and maintenance free v-twin until the release of the Twin-88.

Flat Head

Harleys manufactured from 1930-1948. They moved the valves to opposite sides of the combustion chamber for more power which was needed in the heavier motorcycles. Which where reminiscent to what we see today.

Four Wheelers - see "Cage".

HOG

Technically refers to Harley Owners Group. Also used to refer to Harley's in general.

Knuckle Head

Introduced in 1936. The valves in the knucklehead were moved to the top of the combustion chambers and made in 61 cubic inches. In 1937 Harley incorporated the first dry sump oil system. Harley also offered a 74 cubic inch engine in 1941. The knuckle received it's nickname by the appearance of the heads which look similar to the top of a hand.

Long Fellow

refers to the Harleys first few year models. Long fellows came equipped with a single cylinder motor till 1909. They then came with the option of a v-twin which was not a very popular motor. It relied on suction to open the intake valve. Which proved very unreliable. In 1911 they equipped the v-twin with the more reliable mechanical pushrods for the intake and exhaust valves.

One Percenter

Comes from a government study done in the 60's/70's that showed only 1% of bikers were actually trouble makers & outlaws.

Pan Head

Introduced in 1948. Received its nickname because its valve covers look like an upside down cake pan. The Panhead didn't change much from the knuckle in internals. But it came equipped with aluminum heads. Again for more power for the growing weight of the motor cycles. It also dispersed the heat better. in 1955 Harley modified the pans by installing a quieter more efficient lower end. Pans were also the first v-twin to come with an electric starting system in 1965.

Rice

Asian-built motorcycles.

Road Rash

The extreme rash and removal of flesh that the human body experiences when scraped against blacktop at high speeds & prolonged distances.

RUB

Rich Urban Biker - usually referring to inexperienced riders or those with "Trophy Bikes".

Scooter

Yeah, it's ok to call yer bike this - especially if you're around the old guys.

Shovel Head

Introduced in 1966 with new heads which worked better with the upgraded lower end. The shovel also came with hemispheric combustion chambers. Which they had already introduced in the Sportster in 1957. The shovel came in a 74 incher and an 80 incher. It received it name for the look of a coal shovel.

SQUID

Squirrelly Young Kid - usually on a crotch rocket, often a RUB looking for a serious case of Road Rash.

Trophy Bike

Refers to a bike that usually sits in the garage without being ridden, so the owner can claim that he/she "rides" a certain brand of bike. Old, low mileage bikes.

Twin-88

Refers to Harley's current 88 cubic inch engine model.

Wrenching

Working on your bike - maintenance, adding chrome, etc..

I hope this helps

solutions
    here's one heard
    Super Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead

Bike
    Originally posted by solutions
    here's one heard
    Super Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead
    How long did it take you to think that one up?

Shylock
    This is what I heard:

Stupidly
    Quick,
    Under dressed
    Immanently
    Dead

Seems to ring true...

And here's a history lesson for y'all. Back in the days when Harley could actually compete in races - when they won, they would put their racing team's mascot on the gas tank for the victory lap. You guessed it, a little pig. That's how the term Hog / Hawg got associated with Harleys

Whach u talkn bout Willis Array smokedvw's Avatar
    Bike
    its got 2 wheels
    thanks for all the detail!

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    clutch - you've got a couple of repeats in there...and too much to read by the way.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Bike
    Originally posted by Sailor
    clutch - you've got a couple of repeats in there...and too much to read by the way.
    Sorry,
    Cut n paset from the Biker Linguistic book.....
    plus I figured sinece people are throwing arround the Lingo with out knowing the Def.'s I'd pass on a few just incase someone might be "SUB" and say the wrong thing to the wrong person

SUB
    Stupid
    Unexperiences
    Biker

Shylock
    "Unexperiences"????

Ummm ok... is that like inexperienced?

Bike
    Originally posted by Shylock
    "Unexperiences"????

Ummm ok... is that like inexperienced?
    hey biker lingo not harvard grammar school

Top Gun wannabe Array AviationFuel-ed's Avatar
    Bike
    '98 ZX6R no more, sold to pay for the plane
    I always thought a squid was...well...we've all seen what a squid thown on the ice at an NHL game looks like. I thought a squid was someone who rides with no gear and risks ending up looking like that. ???????????????
    I came to my own conclusions though.
    20% Temper
    80% Mental