Moving truck rental
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving truck rental

Bike
    R1200RT

Moving truck rental

So we are pulling the trigger on a move to Kelowna, tired of the big city and the rain. Some of you may say that Kelowna is no better, but our new place is outside of town surrounded by vineyards and llama fields. We are 15 mins to the airport and 30 mins from Big White. I'll take -10 and sun over +5 and rain anytime.

I got an online quote from Uhaul for a one way truck and shit my self when it came to $700. Budget is sold out for the weekend we need it, (its half the price - $350) so anyone know of any other decent truck rental options? I need to load a Honda Shadow 500, so a low deck and ramp would be nice.

The bulk of the costs seems to be KMs. U-haul includes ~400kms, and Budget was .35 / km ($140 for my move). I know from my logistics days that renting a truck and driving 400kms should not cost $700. Plus the fuel cost over the Coquinector won't be cheap.
    BOOM de ya dah!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    How long ago are your logistics days? I say that because... I have watched the cost of logistics rise substantially in the last 4 years.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    how big of a house? or rather.. how big of a truck do you need?

That shine guy Array StreetShotz's Avatar
    Bike
    06 R1 - RIP
    Call around and see if you can get one with unlimited miles. The wife did this when we had a long move and she found a location with a truck they said we could drive as long as we like for a flat fee.
    We picked the truck up in Surrey on 24th and King George. Perhaps try and give them a call, were super helpful and even gave us the truck for an extra day for nothing extra.

That shine guy Array StreetShotz's Avatar
    Bike
    06 R1 - RIP
    Oh, and we used the biggest truck they offered.

Bike
    R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    How long ago are your logistics days? I say that because... I have watched the cost of logistics rise substantially in the last 4 years.
    I was doing logistics from about '95 to 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    2 bedroom townhome. My U-Haul quote was for a 17' truck. We don't have a lot of stuff, but do have some large pieces of furniture, plus space for the bike.
    BOOM de ya dah!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    I was doing logistics from about '95 to 2001.
    Well in 15-20 years, logistics has gone way up. For a one way like that, you may be paying a hiking premium for hauling it back. I think the quote of $700 is
    incorrect, you should call them.

Local rate for an in town uhaul 26" or whatever was around $200 just 2 weeks ago. You'll be paying likely at least twice that rate for a 1 way to the interior if you ask me.

I can't see you getting a 2 bedroom townhouse and motorcycles into 17 feet, unless you really don't possess much furniture.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    very true, it truly has skyrocketed, most blame it on cost of petrol, though thats kinda odd when you're paying for the fuel yourself and only renting said truck... lol

just read your follow up post, yeh i guess that makes sense they'd get you on cost of bringing truck back too...
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    http://www.clearwaybc.ca/

Privately owned rental company.
    Great business rates.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Well in 15-20 years, logistics has gone way up. For a one way like that, you may be paying a hiking premium for hauling it back. I think the quote of $700 is
    incorrect, you should call them.

Local rate for an in town uhaul 26" or whatever was around $200 just 2 weeks ago. You'll be paying likely at least twice that rate for a 1 way to the interior if you ask me.

I can't see you getting a 2 bedroom townhouse and motorcycles into 17 feet, unless you really don't possess much furniture.
    Yeah, I was struggling with how much truck I would need. All my past moves I was able to borrow a 5 ton from work so no problem. Our bed, my office desk, tv stand and kitchen table are ikea crap, so can go pretty flat. We don't have any appliances to move, so i'm thinking that a 17ft should be adequate. We will also have two cars on the day of the move which can take some boxes and misc sized stuff.
    BOOM de ya dah!

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    btw, congratulations on the big move!! i can see your logic, a cousin of mine lives out there; has been for a long time n' is involved with the MOtocross n' mountain bike scene as a photographer..
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Can't help with truck advice, but I would love to hear your feedback on the overall "moving to Kelowna" idea in a year or two. Seriously, set yourself a reminder and bump this thread when the time comes (please ).
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    btw, congratulations on the big move!! i can see your logic, a cousin of mine lives out there; has been for a long time n' is involved with the MOtocross n' mountain bike scene as a photographer..
    Thanks. I grew up in small towns, Hope, Squamish, Agassiz, Mission etc. I only ended up in Vancouver when I couldn't find work and had to live at my grandparents. That was 23 years ago, and I'm finally able to move on and escape the nuttiness here. Really, what do I do in Vancouver that I can't do elsewhere such as Kelowna? Maybe ride a bit earlier / later in the year? Other than sitting at the beach and listening to the sound of the waves, not much. I work from home and only need a decent sized airport near by for my work travel. I'm looking forward to being able to go for a ride without slogging through traffic for an hour getting out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Can't help with truck advice, but I would love to hear your feedback on the overall "moving to Kelowna" idea in a year or two. Seriously, set yourself a reminder and bump this thread when the time comes (please ).
    "Hey Siri, remind me in 2 years to review my move to Kelowna on BCSB" - Done.
    BOOM de ya dah!

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    You siriously going to have the same iPhone in two years? lol ...
    Heck, bump this thread in a year after being there. I'd like to hear what you think after a summer living in the Okanagan ...

Bike
    unicycle
    If you can survive the winters in the okanagan the Summers are a no brainer.