Anyone done Sportbike West's Annual Meet/Rally/BBQ/Camp in Kelowna?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone done Sportbike West's Annual Meet/Rally/BBQ/Camp in Kelowna?

YSG

Anyone done Sportbike West's Annual Meet/Rally/BBQ/Camp in Kelowna?

Curious to know how this event is... I've read all about it, but have never spoken with anyone that's done it. Apparently they get over 400 sportbikes there, and the rally goes throughout the Okanagnan on 5 different routes to accomodate all the riders! It's at the beginning of August in Kelowna. Any info or comments would be appreciated! Thanks.

YSG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

ridenrain
    You've got to check out the web site.
    http://www.members.cnx.net/sbw/
    They have a number of small cabins with 4 bunk beds that you can reserve. That way, all you need is a sleeping bag. Camping is the way to go but carrying the gear is a pain.
    The rides have been downsized from the original. The last "old style" poker run was full racing in the streets and the newer broken formats allow everybody to sample some of the best roads with some level of control and sanity.
    Go and have fun but watch your mirrors. There's always someone much more deserving of a ticket.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I went last year and YES it was a hoot and a 1/2. It's heady stuff indeed to be around that many sportbikes in one place.

The rally rides were kinda crazy though. The group of about 50 that I went with were pretty cool until we got out of the main built up area and then in the rush to get by traffic and get to each rider's preferred place in the line up (the front naturally) I saw 2 or 3 close calls. Added to that was the fairly heavy 4 wheeled traffic so after about 10 minutes I just gave up, turned around and went for my own rally and met up with someone else and we had a great ride.

If I go again I'll just do my own "group" right off the bat and avoid the squids. The camping, talking about and dyno runs were super cool by themselves though.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Want an appliance? Buy Japanese.
    Ditto Bruce. I've gone 3 times now and last year was the first time they split up into different rides. Owen hinted that they're forced to do it that way now because of RCMP pressure.

There's always crashers there and it seems to be people from Alberta. Guess they don't have corners there. I came up on one 2years ago that must've been wild to see. The guy must have panicked as he overshot a not terribly difficult corner, his bike took a road sign off, him and the bike went under the brace part of a braced hydro pole, just narrowingly missing the pole and the brace by going between them, over a fence and landed about 100 feet away in a field. The TLS1000 he was riding had the back wheel pushed into the fuel tank. He had some boken ribs etc. but was ok other than that.

Last year, I did exactly what Bruce did. Went up westside road to Vernon and shot the breeze with a dealer there and went back the same way and met up with some friends that run and work at Valley Motorsport and the Yamaha dealer. I came back through Washington via hwy 20.

doug
    went last year with cosworth. the ranch was hard to find. REALLY hard. we stayed in town at a hotel and just met up with people for short burns and basically did our own thing. watched the big pack do the circle of the town a few times. cosworth's bike is even in some of the pics.

Bike
    2009 BMW F650GS

sportbike west

You guys are talking about past years but what about this year? Me and scooter6r were planning on going this year and wondering if anyone else is planning on going.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I'm not sure yet. I did have a good time last year and wouldn't mind doing it again. But I'm just not sure what's happening for that part of the summer yet.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    GSXR750K7
    Message HDs99, I think he went last year.

I'm planning to go this year ... it sounds like a lot of good road fun.

Bike
    1198 S 999R 990 superduke
    I'v been incolved with SBW form the get go,and I'v seen many crashes ,and was in one of those crashes due to a rider not holding his line in a corner(fucked my monster right up) but it's one of those event's that you choose your own pace now.And you just have to be wise when choosing the pace you want to go on?

If anyone is going to be looking for accomodations, there is a B&B just around the corner from me ,I think they have 10 room's and if you wanted to get something together,you could rent the whole shootin match,and call it home for the weekend?

A taxi ride would be about $8 from the B&B to the ranch so you don't have to worry about riding drunk?

I do a guided ride on friday night at 6 that people in the past have shown up for just to go on that ride,it's fun,fast,and you get to see the whole town in a matter of minutes(1.5hrs)it's more of a ride through the orchards and back roads of Kelowna,and some of the local's don't evin know these road's

WARNING: Be carefull when choosing a pace! These guy's don't lie when discribing the pace or the route!

I lead the well done tour(fast as it get's) last year ,and will probably be asked to do it again this year, we started out with 20 or so guy's and got to Vernon with 10 and by the time we got to the ferry at Needles we were down to just4 but we put on over 500k's .

Just choose a pace that your comfortable with?

I'm going to chang my route this year to include a dip into the states,and I'm looking at 500k's again on this route,but it will be fun,and I hope some of you can join up with me(cosworth) didn't get to meet ya last year,but I look forward to it this year,all gixxer stuff aside, If ya want more info,you can message me on this event.
    Getting married is like stickin your hand in a running lawnmower.....if you are smart..you'll only do it ONCE !
    (by S Whiting)

I took the "Short Bus" to school....only kuz they told me it was faster......What did they tell you ?

Super Addict Array
    Bike

Thumbs up

Some of the roads through the orchards make you feel like your in Italy or France. Nice curvy 2 lanes that dip and rise.

chicksfly
    8 Mile Ranch is really easy to find. You take Hwy 33 towards Big White and within 8 mins your at the ranch. The format changed last year because Honda pulled out because of all the holliganism. The dyno is the big attraction at night of course. But it is very loud which makes any social activity difficult. A band would be great, but that takes $$$$$$

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    My dad lives 5 minutes from 8 mile Ranch. But I prepefer to stay at a certain hotel in town that has good rates. I always stay there anyway. I'll most likely ride there with Doug and stay fairly low key. Too many feds and too many crashes for me to get involved with. No offense Squid Vishious, but I'd rather not ride with ya. Not a personality thing, just a safety issue. I tend to ride at my own limit and the red mist rises too easily for me. Riding by myself or with Doug keeps me alive.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    I was thinking of loading up the dirt bike and taking my truck this year. Lots of dirt riding to be had

doug
    i am trying to convince myself that pocketbikes must go up there for a burn up mt knox

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Will we finally use the trailer hitch or just rent a truck?