I just got too old for sportbikes....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I just got too old for sportbikes....

Save water, ride oil cool Array PeteDawg's Avatar
    Bike
    Bmx-r

I just got too old for sportbikes....

I made a bit of an impulse buy the other day. A mint 2004 Red Ducati 999.

I had a 2003 999 a number of years ago that i loved and when the deal came up i couldn't say no. I recalled it being the perfect v twin and, albeit in my misdirected youth, would drag knee pucks on the street on that bike on a regular basis. I currently have a 2008 zx-14 that i've ridden on street and track over the last 4 years. I've added heli bars, heated grips and all sorts of other goodies. Despite its size and comfort i never really considered myself anything but a hardcore rider. I rode the 14 all year around and didn't have a car. I had a ton of cold weather gear and laughed at all the "riding season over" threads. I have ridden sportbikes since i was 18. I had an RC-51 that i rode to kitimat, and was my sole (soul!?) transportation when i worked there....fishing tackle and all i carried on that thing. I rode a supermoto for a number of years. I street fightered a buell XB12r that was fairly bad ass (but ultimately gutless)....however, life changes and i rode very little this past year with a new job and blah blah blah. I still found it quite surprising to find myself cursing on the ride home with the Duc. "Who can ride these things any more?" "Why are the mirrors so bad?" "This tank range is awful and my wrists and nuts hurt" "this suspension is awful stiff isn't it?" "do people really like this dry clutch racket?" ...i can pinpoint the day i got old and soft.

Needless to say, there will be mint condition 2004 999 for sale in the spring with very low miles on it if anyone is interested?

Pete
    if some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough.

I'm not Fast...your just Slow

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    i will take it... i'll trade you my nice comfy bike and 14 dollars for it.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDawg View Post
    I still found it quite surprising to find myself cursing on the ride home with the Duc. "Who can ride these things any more?" "Why are the mirrors so bad?" "This tank range is awful and my wrists and nuts hurt" "this suspension is awful stiff isn't it?" "do people really like this dry clutch racket?" ...i can pinpoint the day i got old and soft.
    ummhhh.... plenty of us could have told you that, its amazing to me how long it takes most riders to realize, trellis frame, tight suspension.... committed crotch rocket, on the street

I hear those things are wicked at the track, alas when i look at bikes these days its all about comfort! yeah thats coming from an R1 rider mind you.. i hope i dont get old
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I hate to break it to you but, `...you will get old before you die.` If you are lucky. Don`t we want to be comfy on the WWD road trips to N. California and the like.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Supersports are awesome bikes. But, if you live in the lower mainland, and your definition of a ride is a 6-800km day ride up in the canyons, then they suck ass for the 2 hour commute to and from. Even in the canyons they really offer no advantage over a sport tourer or an upright sport bike.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    -=none=-
    your not old, your just more experienced.
    -gurp

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Nahh, just dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    N/A
    Too bad...but I'm probably older and still riding an RC.

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyjacK View Post
    Too bad...but I'm probably older and still riding an RC.
    It helps that they're comfortable
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    If they were on 650 v-stroms we could all just conclude they were weetarded.

Bike
    RC
    The 999 is the least loved duck of all time.

Dropping sport bikes because of that would be like marrying this and then swearing off women.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  56.5 KB
    Fill the house with bees.

"Missing a few pieces!' Array Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    >snip< however, life changes and i rode very little this past year with a new job and blah blah blah. I still found it quite surprising to find myself cursing on the ride home with the Duc. "Who can ride these things any more?" "Why are the mirrors so bad?" "This tank range is awful and my wrists and nuts hurt" "this suspension is awful stiff isn't it?" "do people really like this dry clutch racket?" ...i can pinpoint the day i got old and soft.
    Pete
    Hey Pete,
    don't stress the small stuff. Honestly I didn't step over a motorcycle from 1999 until 2003(?) right after SBW ended. All motorcycles did was remind me of rally stress, even the bike show become fucking work ..........
    life evolves and in 2005 I built up a CBR919 and slowly my love affair with sportbikes returned but sadly it was only sex, great dirty sex but nothing long term came of it,the passion was gone.
    A brief affair with the Ugly Bike followed but we just couldn't reconcile our different stages in life, too many years between us and then along came the Shitter.

Happily now the Shitter and I have explored mid west USA, back country BC and upper Washington.

Don't buy into the "gotten soft" bullshit. You're just looking for a different type of ride and it may take a while. Enjoy some affairs and see what fits.

Owen

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    I made a bit of an impulse buy the other day. A mint 2004 Red Ducati 999.

I had a 2003 999 a number of years ago that i loved and when the deal came up i couldn't say no. I recalled it being the perfect v twin and, albeit in my misdirected youth, would drag knee pucks on the street on that bike on a regular basis. I currently have a 2008 zx-14 that i've ridden on street and track over the last 4 years. I've added heli bars, heated grips and all sorts of other goodies. Despite its size and comfort i never really considered myself anything but a hardcore rider. I rode the 14 all year around and didn't have a car. I had a ton of cold weather gear and laughed at all the "riding season over" threads. I have ridden sportbikes since i was 18. I had an RC-51 that i rode to kitimat, and was my sole (soul!?) transportation when i worked there....fishing tackle and all i carried on that thing. I rode a supermoto for a number of years. I street fightered a buell XB12r that was fairly bad ass (but ultimately gutless)....however, life changes and i rode very little this past year with a new job and blah blah blah. I still found it quite surprising to find myself cursing on the ride home with the Duc. "Who can ride these things any more?" "Why are the mirrors so bad?" "This tank range is awful and my wrists and nuts hurt" "this suspension is awful stiff isn't it?" "do people really like this dry clutch racket?" ...i can pinpoint the day i got old and soft.

Needless to say, there will be mint condition 2004 999 for sale in the spring with very low miles on it if anyone is interested?

Pete
    Well that is unfortunate, but you did purchase perhaps the most uncomfortable motorcycle ever produced for street riding. The 749/999 are great bikes, but they were
    absolute torture racks to ride.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine-and-a-half View Post
    Hey Pete,
    don't stress the small stuff. Honestly I didn't step over a motorcycle from 1999 until 2003(?) right after SBW ended. All motorcycles did was remind me of rally stress, even the bike show become fucking work ..........
    life evolves and in 2005 I built up a CBR919 and slowly my love affair with sportbikes returned but sadly it was only sex, great dirty sex but nothing long term came of it,the passion was gone.
    A brief affair with the Ugly Bike followed but we just couldn't reconcile our different stages in life, too many years between us and then along came the Shitter.

Happily now the Shitter and I have explored mid west USA, back country BC and upper Washington.

Don't buy into the "gotten soft" bullshit. You're just looking for a different type of ride and it may take a while. Enjoy some affairs and see what fits.

Owen
    Great analogies. The most important part is to pick the tool for the trade.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    The 999 is the least loved duck of all time.

Dropping sport bikes because of that would be like marrying this and then swearing off women.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  56.5 KB
    lmfao.... hahaha.