BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Do I really need a fuelpump?

7K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  chaksur 
#1 ·
So since I got the R1, the fuel pump's been making this noise (not the priming, that's actually pretty quiet). It's a continuous buzzing sound from the tank after the bike is started. I should mention that the bike is a rebuilt and was rhubarbed medium-well by the prev owner.

Seeing as the gas tank is above the injectors and from my understanding of gravity and how fuel pumps work, the pump doesn't really do more than force some gas in there while the bike isn't level. Do I really need it?

I can see one advantage being that it would knock off like 5 lbs from the overall weight.

Anyone done this before? Only disadvantage I can see is that when wheelieing the bike would have the possibility of getting starved for fuel.

#22 ·
just suck and blow hard enough.

you are a of gypsy roots, should be well versed in sucking fuel with a hose :D

#16 · (Edited)
Why would it be a joke?

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part

Does anyone know how to separate the throttle bodies from the fuel injectors? I think I might be missing a step somewhere...

As an aside, anyone looking to do this can use the rubber dustcap from one of the high beams to bring the hole left by the lack of fuel pump to something more suited to a fuel line. I used a soldering iron to melt it to the tank. Seems to be holding so far.

#27 ·
thats one expensive can of Guinness :devillook

i think i've got a drinking problem.. :drinkbeer
There's only one person in this thread with a drinkin problem and it isn't either of us.. :spinsmile

So I put the bike back together and now it wont start... anyone have any idea why? Is there a mechanic open on sundays? I need the bike for work tomorrow.

#33 ·
fuel pump was working fine.

blame non-OEM equipment.

always buy OEM stuff.

cheap man pays twice. i cheaped out on extra 200 bux for a race ecu (500 total) vs 300 dollar flash.

ended up buying the race ecu anyways on top of it all spending money for the dyno, and god knows how much in extra fuel.

ps.
i have a feeling your R1 on that dyno will not display the numbers you think it might ;)

#34 · (Edited)
ps.
i have a feeling your R1 on that dyno will not display the numbers you think it might ;)
:laughing, "probably not its just a number it would be up one day down the next", gets the mileage i can live with and useable power everywhere, about what i expected with a tune so shes good

but yeah i hear you on the RACE Ecu, and a proper tune... lets be realistic nobody wants to ride behind either one of our bikes when they're running rich... bloody hell hahhahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.