Buying a phone off CL

Thread: Buying a phone off CL

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter

Buying a phone off CL

Is there any way to determine if a phone is free and clear, i.e. does not have a remaining subsidy on it? An IMEI check today doesn't help much if someone skips town in a month.

GF needs a new one but wants to keep her cheap plan + bring your own device discount. With the premium plans now needed for subsidized phones the plan upgrade would substantially exceed the CL price for an S5.

Seems like the only way is to conduct the sale in a [Telus] store after you get the seller to check contract status while standing in front of you.

I'm turning to BCSB to see how the experts do it.

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array EdmondsBatt's Avatar
    Walk in to Staples. Pick up a brand new, unlocked Moto X or Moto G for ~$200. Better than wasting time with flakes on CL.
    *Quote "" to receive 15% off ANY new in stock Battery!
    Automotive - Marine - Deep Cycle - Power Sport - Home Alarm
    Authorized dealer of Yuasa (Motocross), Odyssey, Shorai, Northstar, Deltran Battery Tender,Noco Genius, Energy Power, Fisher Price Power-Wheels

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    hard in the mac
    do they have the original bill of sale with the full price shown as paid?
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Husaberg FS570, Aprilia Tuono V4R
    A friend got bear sprayed last week when he was selling a phone on CL.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    Another problem is the major phone providers participate in a blacklist service to help curb the resale of stolen phones.

I would highly recommend meeting the buyer at Rogers/Virgin/Telus etc. location so you can verify on the spot that the phone isn't already declared stolen/is still subsidized. If the seller doesn't want to do that, big red flags.

There is also no guarantee that the seller won't take your cash, blacklist the phone, and claim an insurance loss from it being lost/stolen. Take a picture of their ID........

Best deal going last year was a prepaid Virgin Moto G from Costco, $150 payout on the phone, get $100 back instantly in GC's, and then cancel the plan the next day. Net cost $50 + $3 in account charges + $15 unlock fee.