sena feedback
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sena feedback

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA

sena feedback

I have available to me an attractive offer for a pair of SMH10s, and I'm thinking of buying. I don't listen to music while I'm riding, nor do I use a GPS, and I don't ride two-up, so pretty much the only purpose would be rider-to-rider communication. There have been a few discussions on here, which I've read thru:
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...highlight=sena , etc.

and I've worked thru the seemingly very thorough reviews on webbikeworld.
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...mh10-intercom/ , etc

I could use a bit of real-world feedback. Is rider-to-rider communication a valuable asset on your trips? Is the SMH10 up to the task? What are its strengths and weaknesses? Can you hear OK with ear plugs in? Is it worth considering the 20S, to get the greater range (at a considerably higher price)?

Thanx.

p.s. more reading, and I've discovered I can Bluetooth pair it with my TPX radar detector, which would be a big improvement on the poor volume at highway speed that the TPX headset provides...
    Last edited by doser; 01-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    03 FJR1300
    Me and 3 others I ride with have used the 10's for the last 3 years and they have worked great. A good 7 hours or more on a charge.
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    Ride no faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    I have the latest Sena, it holds a charge very long time.

It's completely useless in my view unless you are plodding along. Nobody stays within range on any sort of windy road.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    The rider to rider communication is a HUGE benefit
    • Makes any slab riding go by much quicker by having someone to talk to
    • Allows a rider up front to warn riders of debris on road, farm girl on a tractor, deer, etc
    • I need gas, I need to pee, etc
    • You get to play "Tap Out", which can be hilarious
    • You learn a lot more about your fellow riders when you talk for 12 hours straight (What is shared on Sena, stays on Sena)
    • At full charge, I have never had my batteries die in a single day
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    Can you hear OK with ear plugs in?
    I don't think anyone can answer this one for you. It really varies depending on the rider's hearing, how quiet their helmet is, etc. Some find the standard helmet speakers + foamy ear plugs work great. Others (like me) prefer custom molded earplugs for hi-fidelity and clarity.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Personally for me, the best combo is earplugs and then maximum volume on the Sena. It actually works because the audio quality in the Sena is surprisingly better (probably because all the other noise is cut off with the ear plugs).

I use my Sena in all my group rides with friends. In traffic, we as a group get to be a lot more agile, moving as a single unit.

Bike
    04 SV650
    I was in the same boat as you Doser, and still partially am. I dont listen to the music, I dont talk on the cell while riding. I use GPS on my phone, but never had the need for audio cues. I bought 20S in November of last year only because I got a really good deal on 2 pack. Cheaper than 10S, so I figured why not. I am still not planning on using it for music or GPS, but everyone keeps saying how much fun it can be to yap back and forth with other riders. I havent used it yet, so i will see how it works when bike gets insured again.

Registered User Array GhostFlame_zx7r's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda 954RR; 2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    If you only plan to use it for rider to rider communication, I would suggest you go with the Sena S10, cheaper and will meet your needs.

Having the ability to communicate ( pee breaks, road conditions, discuss change in directions on a trip without stopping ) is valuable. Plus, the occasional humorous remarks keeps you on your toes, as your laughing so hard you almost rhubarb lol .

Having the extra distance ( Sena S20 ) is nice, but as Bandito stated, unless your right on someones butt, you will still loose communications pretty quickly in curvy roads ( not that I would know that first hand lol )

For me, the Sena 10 I could happily use the speakers and hear just fine with ear plugs in. However, on the S20, I could not hear a thing while riding. So I have opted to use Audio Ear buds connected to my Sena S20, which only for the hassle of putting my helmet on with them in ( PAIN IN MY ARSE ) I am very happy with the set up.

For me it was the ability to communicate with multiple riders, use my GPS, multiple Cell Phones ( 2 ) and hear music with it not cutting out every time someone talked, that made me decide I wanted the Sena S20 instead of the S10

But for your particular wishes the Sena S10 will be very adequate in meeting those needs.
    LIFES A BITCH...... Then you just do it all over again

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    • Allows a rider up front to warn riders of debris on road, farm girl on a tractor, deer, etc
    • You learn a lot more about your fellow riders when you talk for 12 hours straight (What is shared on Sena, stays on Sena)
    Pretty much sums up the Sena....

I still haven't found a GPS that ( Garmin or TomTom) that will give out road directions over it's bluetooth. So far only my cell phone only does that, and I don't like that because it uses up data.

So, I just use the phone for rider to rider talk.

Registered User Array GhostFlame_zx7r's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda 954RR; 2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    Buy this....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009E1NK2G/...24141598070386

Works like a charm with my Radar detector and GPS hooked up to it......

Run the audio cords from your devices into the SR10, and it Bluetooths to your sena.
    Last edited by GhostFlame_zx7r; 01-16-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    LIFES A BITCH...... Then you just do it all over again

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post

i still haven't found a gps that ( garmin or tomtom) that will give out road directions over it's bluetooth..
    zumo.....
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    Pretty much sums up the Sena....

I still haven't found a GPS that ( Garmin or TomTom) that will give out road directions over it's bluetooth. So far only my cell phone only does that, and I don't like that because it uses up data.

So, I just use the phone for rider to rider talk.
    Great feature on my phone is that I downloaded maps for BC and WA into it, and can use it for GPS nav without using data. Map is stored on the phone, so no data is needed. Did this for my Europe trip as well. Worked great! Lumia 920 is the phone.

Bike
    2007 FJR
    I have one, as does a close friend of mine and we both love them. The only thing i use mine for is rider to rider communication. Usually we just goof off, but it's handy for suggesting a photo stop, food stop, pointing out a hot girl, talking about the asshole that just cut you off.

I was reluctant to get one, but now that i have it, i wouldn't ride without it.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    I could use a bit of real-world feedback. Is rider-to-rider communication a valuable asset on your trips?
    On group rides (two or more bikes) it's absolutely invaluable. You can make decisions about which road to take, when to get gas and food, etc. Straight slab is no longer boring because you're chatting and bs'ing the entire time. SMH10 makes rides a whole lot more enjoyable. Think of it as a pub night, but less beer and more motorcycle.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    2013 Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    What he said plus I can still 'work' and talk on my cell but be out on the bike. Once you have tried Sena you won't be able to to figure out how you rode without it. Made me a more confident rider in California having someone in front calling out road hazards through the twisites!
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.