We welcome our US overlords

Thread: We welcome our US overlords

Bike
    04 SV650

We welcome our US overlords

So US and Canada signed a border agreement that will let customs agents work in each other's countries. It's under the guise of faster border crossing, but not so sure how this will all work out in the end

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...ings-1.2996454

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    'They' have way more, and way bigger, guns (and planes, tanks, bombs, ships ...) than 'we' do.
    I define Hell as having to ride back and forth from Blaine to Tijuana on I - 5 in perpetuity.

Registered User Array Greentreena's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda ST1300
    No surprise: the Canadian government has tried hard to get the borders opened back up again to faster trade: all those trucks waiting at the border have a cost. This is in line with some of the policy references to "fortress North America".
    2004 Honda ST1300
    1999 GSXF 750 Katana (Sold)

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Meh. There have been US Border Officers at the Coho ferry terminal in Victoria for years doing pre-screening before boarding the ferry. Hopefully this will eliminate the need to also go through US customs again when you arrive in Port Angeles.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    Homland security is already in the airports.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Does this fit into Bill 51 or am I just seeing Yankee ghosts. Slippery slope? Thin end of the wedge? I think it's as much about security as it is about trade speed. Now Alberta is saying, at least some are, that they would be better as part of the USA. I've had no border issues nor has my wife. But is do see a big net over NA organized by the States but fully supported by Canada. Too many boogie men these days. How would you feel about one currency, or being the 52 state, or group of states. Do you want to be part of the Republic.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Happiness is the corner Array Land Roving's Avatar
    Bike
    Sea bee yar eff for eye.
    And there's been border guards for both countries in all the Nexus interview locations too.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    This has been in place in airports for a while now. It's just an expansion. Everybody keep their conspiracy hats in the drawer.

We took the train to Portland last summer (11 hours... never again) we had to do screening at the station and again at the border (but that was just a walk-through). Streamlining it makes sense.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    This has been in place in airports for a while now. It's just an expansion. Everybody keep their conspiracy hats in the drawer.

We took the train to Portland last summer (11 hours... never again) we had to do screening at the station and again at the border (but that was just a walk-through). Streamlining it makes sense.
    I'll agree on your point regarding the conspiracy mongers. I will offer the thought however, that, as you have not seen even ONE Canadian pre-screening centre in ANY U.S. airport, you will unlikely NOT see a Canadian booth even 1" south into the U.S.A.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I'll agree on your point regarding the conspiracy mongers. I will offer the thought however, that, as you have not seen even ONE Canadian pre-screening centre in ANY U.S. airport, you will unlikely NOT see a Canadian booth even 1" south into the U.S.A.
    Likely because it's only 8 canadian airports that have pre-screening; I don't know how many US airports have flights to Canada, but I bet it's a few more than that.

Rail, bus and sea (I'm thinking cruise ships) could be more efficient from that perspective, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised see your prediction come true.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Because the gov't does not want to spend the money. Talk big, spend nothing.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    US Customs are at a lot of international airports because you clear US Customs before entering the planes.
    So basically, you are on US soil when you have passed the US Customs at yvr.

USA does have many "border crossings" before entering the planes that will end up in their country.

I say it's smart.
    Saves time and money to return the inadmissible travelers.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)