ICBC Settlement

Thread: ICBC Settlement

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

ICBC Settlement

Last edited by CanadianBird; 04-06-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Your lawyers SHOULD be providing you with comparable legal cases which demonstrate what others have gotten in similar circumstances. That's why they would be recommending you ask for more.

Go back to counsel, ask them politely how they're coming up with the legal opinion (which you are paying them for) as to why you should be counter-offering. Ideally they will do the counter-offer to ICBC on your behalf, and will be teeing up the appropriate case law to bury ICBC's lawyers if it goes to trial. This is the point where the two lawyers sit down with each other or pick up the phone and make it clear that you're open to a REASONABLE settlement, but neither you or your lawyer are stupid.

It may be that there isn't much difference between what they are offering and how much higher case law will get you, so the decision will be yours. If it's $50,000 vs $100,000 though you will understand why your lawyer is recommending you hold out.

Here's a blog from a personal injury lawyer. I have not used him, and am not recommending him (I've got him on the other side of a slip and fall case, and he's a right PITA), but it will give you some idea of the sort of case law decisions that your lawyer should be knowledgable about and provide you with.

http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/

Good luck.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    agree with the above, in my experience icbc's initial offer is just to get the ball rolling and most will advice you to do your research right n' come up with a 'reasonable settlement'...
    I was happy with how icbc handled my own accident and found them to be easy to talk to, but you gotta have the facts straight, in your case that is where your lawyer comes in..

listen to the advice, you're paying for it
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

ICBC Settlement

Last edited by CanadianBird; 04-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Mods, there seems to be many icbc post and I could not find the one I recently posted on.....
    To find any of your old posts go to "my profile", top right between Notifications and Settings.

click it.

then on the left click on "find all posts", that'll give you a list of all the posts you've made and you can scroll down until you find the one you're looking for.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

ICBC Settlement

Last edited by CanadianBird; 04-06-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Given the fact they actively read this forum, I'd suggest you keep your discussions about your involvement with a claim with them, off the forum.
    Last edited by bandito; 04-05-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    RC
    Given that insurance is a pool I suggest you take the first offer and be happy.
    Fill the house with bees.

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Given that insurance is a pool I suggest you take the first offer and be happy.
    Let me know when you decide to sell your RC
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    RC
    I'll sell you pictures of it. Here's a tease. Name:  2015-04-06 13.52.04.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  154.9 KB
    Fill the house with bees.