BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

WHich battery tender for Yuasa battery

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  cvrle1 
#1 ·
Battery in the track bike needs a boost. Bike turns over and it is trying to start up, but battery is almost drained fully. 1st time It almost starts, and then it just cranks less and less. Need to get a battery tender for it to try and get it boosted up, but have no idea which one I should go for

Battery is Yuasa YTZ14S

Would just a normal battery tender work like Deltran Battery Tender Junior/Plus, or do I need some specific one. I have a tender for my Shorai Lithium battery, but that one has a special plug that goes into the battery. I dont think it would work as Yuasa is not Lithium battery, but could be wrong

Thanks for the help

#7 ·
Remember that a battery tender cannot charge a dead battery - only maintain a charged battery. Buy a simple battery charger at CDN tire as the Yuasa is a normal lead acid battery. Nothing crazy as 10 amps is a lot for a small battery (short time) and 2 amps will charge it up over a few hours.

One thought occurred... This is a track bike? Might it be running total loss electrics, i.e., no charging system?

#11 ·
I find the Deltrans are made a bit better than the Yuasa chargers. Amperage is higher on the equivalent priced Yuasa, but the Deltrans seem to last a bit longer. C-tek would be good as well. A fully discharged bike battery, depending on its age could well be garbage now too -they just don't like being drained. Charge it as best you can, then pop it in to one of the shops for a load test. At least that will give you an idea if putting it back in the bike for the season is worth the time.

#17 ·
I would also suggest the Deltran Battery Tender Plus for this battery since your battery is an "agm", and its charge capacity is well matched. Moreover, the Tender Plus has a desirable charging algorithm for "agm" batteries, especially for the "absorption charge" stage. The Tender Plus has a higher tendency to charge "agm" batteries more fully.

I have collected quite a few smart battery chargers for lead acid batteries now, and I would have to say that although most of them are different in some way, most of them have simple charging algorithms. Lead acid batteries can become "weaken" (but still reasonably healthy), even when brand new from a store. And the there many different conditions that a battery can be in. For a reasonably healthy battery, a good charger like the Tender Plus has a higher chance of recharging an "agm" battery near full again, when used in the manner most owner would use them.

Bear in mind that a lead acid battery does lose charge capacity over time. A recovery charge procedure is recommended from time to time. And here the Tender Plus would do well too.

However, for unhealthy lead acid batteries, knowledge, experience, and chargers with very specific functions, are often needed to successfully rejuvenate them.

#19 ·
I think any of those little maintainers are decent. I have a ctek and a cheapie from Walmart. Leave them on the battery for 24 hours once a week seems to work nicely. I've also heard its good to hit a battery with a high charge occasionally. But not enough to boil or over charge the battery.

#20 ·
Took the battery for test last night to canadian tire. They do some full test, not just load, and that can take few hours. They plugged it in and basically right away it said test failed, replace battery. It didnt give any reasons or codes. That looked strange, so I went to Edmonds Batteries easrlier today and got the load test done. Person said that battery could use a chanrge, sitting at 12.10V or there abouts, but that it is holding just fine under the load. Just to make sure I didnt misunderstand, I asked if it si good to use, and he said yeah it is, just needs a bit of a charge.

I think it still has an issue. When i came home I put a multimeter on the battery and it showed 12.53V. I charged it back up, and it was showing 12.89V. I just measured it again, 30 min after charging, and it is now showing 12.78V, so not sure if that is normal to go down.

Will leave it alone for a while and measure again, and see what happens.

#21 ·
Yes its normal for it to drop after charging, If you had put a meter on it the second you disconnected the charger it would be reading 14 something and will drop over a few hours to around 12.6..

#22 ·
Did you check the voltage of the battery before putting it on the C-tek? It's possible that just an overnight charge wasn't long enough to bring it all the way up, so it needs more time before it would be fully charged. I spoke to the store manager you dealt with, and he told me which tester he used and the results, so based on what he said, I would suggest putting the charger back on for another night (24 hours is often suggested) then putting it in the bike. As it stands, since it does have cranking power, and it holds the charge, it might just fire the bike right up, but doing that would not be advised.

#24 ·
As it stands, since it does have cranking power, and it holds the charge, it might just fire the bike right up, but doing that would not be advised.
I've had it happen where it holds a charge unloaded, fires the bike up, but the bike stalls in 45 seconds. I'd rather spend the $100 and get a new battery. Just for piece of mind....

#23 ·
I checked voltage before I put it on the c-tek 2nd time (few hours ago). That was 12.53V I just checked again and it is sitting at 12.66V. of course this is a cheap multimeter, so these numbers may be off. Manager at EB told me that it was 12.10V and that was only 30 min before I tested it 1st time and got 12.53V. Maybe numbers aI am getting on multimeter are higher than they actually are. Wouldn't surprise me.

I did not check when I took it out of the bike and when I started this thread.

I will plug it in once again now and see how things go tomorrow.

Thanks

#26 ·
30 minutes on a charger definitely not gonna do it... but i agree with the whole new battery thing if you're having issues; last thing you need is, well you know :laughing

if you already have Shorai's charger just get one of their LFX units.. they've been solid for me, going on 4 years :coffee

#27 ·
So, after leaving battery on a charger for 24 hours here is what happened. Once I was done charging, I left battery alone for a while. After an hour or so passed I started taking measurements. 1st one was 12.71V. I was checking every hour and after about 3-4 voltage went down to 12.69 and stayed there for good.

Plugged battery back into the bike and after couple tries, it started up. Ran it for about 10 minutes checking some things. Turned bike off, and started it back up without issues. Didnt have multimeter on me, so I am not sure what voltage is battery at currently. Will check today and let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.