The definitive ABS repair answer

Thread: The definitive ABS repair answer

East Van
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS

The definitive ABS repair answer

The plastic on my bike is unobtainable in OEM form for anything like a reasonable price, and I'm not particularly concerned with visible cracks I just want to repair and prevent. There's one in particular over the R/R, it's been fixed several times and keeps breaking.

Yes I've searched this, the problem is the range of answers.

So the options are:
    -JB Weld
    -Crazy glue (cyanoacrylic?)
    -Acetone and ABS shavings

The all-knowing internet says some are ok, some not, some not flexible enough, much contradictory information. So at the risk of getting more of the same, what's the final, long term, heat tolerant fix that you have done successfully?

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array Mechannibalism's Avatar
    east van
    '87 GPZ 400 '87 GSXR 400
    You can forget about all those. This is my method; reinforce it and repair it like a fibreglass crack, first thing is to clamp it together so the surface is flush, use methyl chloride or liquid model cement, let it sit over night. Get yourself a small "kutsall' (available at Lee Valley) for a Dremel and hog it out on the back side (I finish it off with a small "cookie wheel"), 3/4" from ether side of the crack, fairing it out as you go. Go at least half way thru three quarters is best. Now you're going to lay up four layers of silk, you can probably use other fabrics but I found silk to be best, you can tuck it into tight corners and it is easy to move around. I mix up plumber's ABS cement and Xylene 50/50 - you can use straight ABS cement but the mixture gives you a longer working time. Now just lay it up like fibreglass-- 4 or 5 layers. Let it harden for 24 hours and sand it down (out comes the "cookie wheel" again.) It will never break again.
    You're just a crackpot till you hit the jackpot - Wernher von Braun

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    3rd rock from the sun. po co.
    bunch "o" bikes
    The above is a good repair...the best is if you know the type of plastic and use the specific adhesive for that...and use some of Mechannnniblizimsss tricks and techniques...
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    two feet off the ground..
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    one major issue with ABS is cracking... i used a top of the line two compound mix cement which worked bloody flawless; right up till i rode the bike for 6 months... the plastic cracked half way through the fix...

i definitely suggest you follow Mechannibalism's advice..
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-27-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.