WA round trip 1

Thread: WA round trip 1

Bike
    Ninja1k

WA round trip 1

Last year I took 2 WA round trips, 1 via mt baker and another via Winthrop. Im bored with island roads, love getting off the island and exploring, and had to head to Blaine to finish my nexus application, so combined that with a stopover in Tacoma to see some friends so already put another WA round trip in the bank.

Here was my planned trip, specefically planned to avoid interstates and the like and hit up what looked like some fun curvy roads. Not much of a pic taker, you'll have to use street view here and there like I do.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fwlzq

Here's a a run down of what I enjoyed otherwise and welcome feedback on other roads to hit in the future!

Chuckanut drive from Bellingham. Alright, I'd do again. Curves ok, some foliage sight issues. Reminds me of Sooke a bit. In fact WA reminds me of a lot of BC scenery, but whereas BC has its scenery clumped in places (lower mainland, then everything else largely mountanious or valleys) WA just has endless alternating rolling farmlands, riverlands, hills, and mountains way off in the distance. Very nice overall.

Bow Hill rd/F and S grade rd to Sedro Wooley. Not much here, its ok, just a straightshot country road with the odd curve thrown in. Decent connector and got me where I wanted to be, on the 9s. Biggest thrill was seeing the old 56(?) blue chevy and then I kid you not, a dukes of hazzard replica! Stock photo here...

I was a huge Dukes of Hazzard fan as a kid, so that put a wtfgrin on my face!

Which also reminds me, dead cats and coons Im used to (sort of) but I think I saw my first dead possum on the road this trip. Weird looking thing.

9S to arlington. Enjoyed this, more curvy than 9N from sedro wooley north. Would do again, nothing challenging but keeps you awake. Was nice to have this mostly to myself and a couple on a harley, who I passed twice due to helmet/earphones readjustment, got a wave from her each time. In fact I think the majority of harley riders wave to me outside of the city, I just wave on reflex to most any rider these days. Except scooters. !@#$ those guys.

Jordan rd to Granite Falls. Now this I enjoyed! Reminds me of mosquito lake road towards the end of 9N, nice curvy country road with very little traffic. 2 thumbs up!

Menzel lk rd/lk roesiger rd. More of the same, quite curvy country road. I circumnavigated the lake a bit to check on my bearings, forgot to write down lk roesiger rd on my handwritten list of directions. Here you get one of the few pics I took, I hate to stop to take pics, I like to let the road flow under me and cant stand passing the same vehicle twice.

Name:  IMG1760.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  156.2 KB

I got a kick out of this handwritten sale sign in front, not sure if serious....;

Name:  IMG1761.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  154.2 KB

Woods Creek rd to Monroe. Once I got my bearings again it was some more decent country road. A little less windy than previous, but still nice.

203S to Fall City. A short right then left put me on this country highway, not much to speak of, pretty standard stuff besides the one accident that slowed me down.

And here I screwed up...I crossed the river into Fall City and turned right on 202 instead of left. I thought for sure it was time to start heading SW instead of further SE and I hadn't written turn directions, just road and highway names on my list, so never got to see what the 18 was like. Ah well. This meant a longer detour through kirkland and more I5 than I liked, which sucked...bad. Constantly having to keep the clutch partially engaged to keep moving, but not moving enough to fully release the clutch...was a total pain. Seriouslly thought I was going to have to stop and rest the clutch hand, finally traffic opened up and I moved onto Tacoma for the next 2 nights. Phew. Hate Interstate riding around Seattle.

When I left Tacoma I was again determined to take my time and get off the beaten path. Ive done the straightshot from there to PtAnglees before and parts of it are ok, but mostly boring.

16N not much to say here, another freeway but better moving than I5. The bridge was nice, and made me wonder why Vancouver cant twin the Lionsgate already...

302/3/106e. Nice winding country road. Although 106 is a lot slower as it has alot of waterside homes on it, reminds me very much of Qualicum beach. Also cold in the morning as the sun hasn't hit it up yet.

101n. This is more like it! I know this highway well having ridden it many times, and with the right amount of traffic, it really flows and you can let the bike go (outside of the occasional municipal area of course)! Well until I ran into the long line of Datsun club members that is! But soon enough I put them behind me as well and wicked her up again. Until it merges with 104 and gets more boring, where i've been nabbed by the local constabulary before. In fact I've been warned about the police presence in the Sequim and surrounding area before and it was borne out again, 3 or 4 cruisers sighted in this last stretch, even an rv pulled over at one point.

Stopped for lunch in pt angeles, ferry home, done. The only other bikes on the ferry were 2 harley guys chatting up 2 adv bike guys. Turns out the adv bikes had shipped over from europe and had come up from georgia on their way to alaska, total long way round types. Fun to watch on tv but not for me.

Thanks for reading if you got this far! Just ordered the DHWA and BC maps, and put the books on hold at the library again. Circumnavigating the olympic peninsula might be next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    nicely done. you've plainly done your research on how to avoid "Seattle-opolis"!
    you might know all this already, but: when your time comes for the peninsula: (a) 112 west of Port Angeles is far more involving riding than 101 - and a run out to Neah Bay and back would be glorious if you have the time, (b) the main highway on west side the Ol Pen is far less exciting than the east side (like you, I love the run up Hood Canal), (c) Aberdeen is a surprisingly nice little town - basically a dying logging /fishing town, but with good spirit and amusing public sculpture downtown, and (d) much of the riding south of hwy 8 is really good, especially the 'wandering' in secondary roads west of I-5 between Longview and Shelton - the DHWA map will not steer you wrong! just link 'em up...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Ninja1k
    Thanks for the feedback Doser! I was beginning to wonder if the basic forum user here was a "I just look at the pictures" type...probably still mostly true, heh.

112 I've heard of, check. South of 8, quick look at google maps leaves me lost, not sure what to look for there, just got DHWA from the library, seems to point me east of 8 rather than south...?

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    here's the route as I learned it from 'Scooter' a few years ago, as part of a day from Vancouver to Cannon Beach.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...UTF8&msa=0&z=7

variations are possible...

btw, the northernwestern corner of Oregon bristles with technical roads!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Ninja1k
    Clearly I wasn't looking far enough south! Ive seen mapped Cannon beach and portions of that route before, very tasty.