VIN # & engine ser#

Thread: VIN # & engine ser#

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Coming soon

VIN # & engine ser#

This is about the Ser# on the frame & the ser# on the engine.
    Just bought a new 2002 F4i from a dealer about a week ago, I was cleaning my bike today, and noticed that the two numbers are different. Now here is my question, are they suppose to be the same or different. The two ser#'s on my car are the same.
    History of bikes:

(1) '85 Honda Elite 150cc
    (2) '84 Honda Interceptor 500cc
    (3) '89 Kawasaki Ninja 600cc
    (4) '89 Honda Hurricane 600cc
    (5) '00 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    (6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i
    (7) '04 Suzuki Burgman 400cc

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array 2wheelbandit's Avatar
    Gix track hoe and Gix street bike
    Not sure, i heard that on jap bikes the frame is the only one that matters (for insuring purposes). The one on the engine doesnt really matter. It will give you details on the engine and thats it.

But i also heard for harleys they now put they numbers somewhere where a seal is needed(head) So that if someone where to grind the numbers off it wouldnt seal properly and it would be no good, pretty good idea.
    Ride, eat, sleep, repeat....

R.ide I.n P.eace John & Dawson

no brand loyalty..... Array 01gixxerjim's Avatar
    I like GSX-R's
    When my bike was stolen, it was the engine number that got me the bike back, even when changed, the cops still got the number off of it. So I would think they are both equally important. as for are they the same, i'll check on mine................nope totally different.
    Another Day...Another Project...

I had my engine cases replaced on my 99 Virago, so whom ever bought it from the dealer only had numbers on the frame because the new engine case had no numbers.

The Mighty One
    The numbers are supposed to be different. Nothing to worry about. Check your owners' manual. There should be a space where you can write both numbers down (may already be done).