I drove through a microburst today...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I drove through a microburst today...

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah

I drove through a microburst today...

So just leaving Spences Bridge today I see an odd cloud of dust or mist up ahead. Around the corner about 300 metres I see that this "dust" is moving at a high rate of speed. I'm 2-up leaving the warm fuzzies of the Thomspon. This place is remowned for thunderstorms and I know there is a storm coming this night.

I round the bend and see to my horrow that I've driven right into a microburst. The sky is coming down at about 100 kmh. Dust and water vapour are crashing down outta nowhere. It hits the limestone face of teh rock wall/mountian to my left and creates a giant dust/sand "avalanche" headed straight for me. I hunker down, close the vents real quick on the helmet and squint. I hammer the throttle and punch a hole in this maelstrom. Sand everywhere. Feels like I'm riding through a sandblaster. Then in a rush it's gone. I look in my mirrors and see the people on the ground that were photographing the rapids scrambling. No later than 30 seconds later I pass Floman and Kittenwalk headed straight for it. I wave ecstatically to them amazed to run into yet another BCSB crew on the prowl in the twisties. I hope they didn't have to deal with the weird weather I rode through.

Source: The USA TODAY Weather Book by Jack Williams

Deadly winds from thunderstorms

Often wind damage that's blamed on tornadoes is actually done by winds coming down from a shower or thunderstorm. Such "microburst" winds can reach more than 150 mph. In a tornado, the air is rising as it swirls around the vortex. In addition to damaging buildings and blowing down trees, microbursts blasting down to the ground are a major aviation hazard and have caused several crashes. Today, pilots are trained in how to avoid microbursts and special Doppler radars to detect them are being installed at airports. Any strong winds coming down from showers and thunderstorms are known as "downbursts." If damaging winds are concentrated in an area extending 2.5 miles or less, it's called a "microburst." If the winds cover a larger area, it's a "macroburst." Microbursts are most common from the Rockies eastward in the USA because showers and thunderstorms are more common. In the humid East, "wet" microbursts are most likely while "dry" microbursts occur more often in the West. Lines of thunderstorms that cause one downburst after another are called derechoes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    yellow plastic ducky
    I've never heard of a microbust before or have ever seen one. Thanx for the knowledge.

I can't believe you actually hammered on your throttle through

Bike
    bah
    Originally posted by huck-jai
    I can't believe you actually hammered on your throttle through

It was that or get blown over into a concrete embankment. I chose to punch through it.

You gotta lean into it! Array InvisibleSoul's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja Silver ZX1R Pocketbike (Matching ZX6R Stolen)
    The weather was pretty funky yesterday. Was out at Boundary Bay Airport yesterday and it just kept on brinking on raining and not raining... every so often some big fat drops would come down, but stop a few minutes later... never did get enough to make the ground throughly wet though...

Bike
    2002 ZX6R
    Rain got on your bike? Oh oh...what will you do?

I ran into one these leaving from work a few months ago. Entered Cassiar tunnel where it was bone dry and exited into a hurricane like downpour.
    kwodtke@telus.blackberry.net

Ex-Team X-Trojan Member

Past Bikes: CM450E, '00 F4, '01 929, '03 GSXR1000/'03 GSXR 750(Katie's), '02 ZX6R (current)

Bike
    none, till the boys are older
    So, your bike totally sandblasted now, time to paint or leave it looking like a Delorean. I'm picturing the Canonball Run, when they drove through the sand storm and came out the other end w/o paint on the entire car.
    Glad you made it through alright.
    "...than I'll be done and we can dance.."

Bike
    bah
    When I hit it it wasn't as bad as it looked. The bike was untouched (thank god) but I had sore eyes for some time from t gritty dust. The heavier debris didn't make it to my side of the road.

The wind was trying to blow me over and it was pretty nuts. All from straight up.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Holy crap. Glad I wasn't there.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Ahyc84
    ok wait wait jason. why did u hammer ur throttle through the microburst again??
    i get ur explaination of how the microburst works basically.
    but was it coming straight at u or from the side of u????

wouldn't it have been safer to just stay where you are and get on the ground?? or even slowly lower your bike on to the ground on its side at the side of the road or sumthin?

or did u just feel like being a crazy mofo n do sumthin crazy like flying through sumthin like that

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ducati BMW

weather

June 21 we where two up just south of Clinton and I notice the clouds where black in front of me,just then some horses on the side of the raod started to buck and run like hell,then the wind hit us it sounded like a train.Then the hail followed quickly by sheets of rain.I gear down two clicks and thought we may have to wait this one out and it just ended.When we got gas in Clinton the wife was shock to see I was laughing.I told her I had gone insane.

Bike
    bah
    Originally posted by Ahyc84
    ok wait wait jason. why did u hammer ur throttle through the microburst again??
    i get ur explaination of how the microburst works basically.
    but was it coming straight at u or from the side of u????

wouldn't it have been safer to just stay where you are and get on the ground?? or even slowly lower your bike on to the ground on its side at the side of the road or sumthin?

or did u just feel like being a crazy mofo n do sumthin crazy like flying through sumthin like that
    I did some quick math in my head by the speed of the wind and figured I could punch a hole through it. If I had slowed and or stopped I would have been blown over for certain.

Don't mistake this for freak rain or some crazy wind. This is literally a deadly mass of rushing air crashing out of the sky like a whirlpool. It is commonly called wind shear by pilots and it will smack a plane out of the sky in some cases.

The scary thing was the dust was only an indication. Most times you can't see these happen. I could actually see the cloud and mist hammering down out of the sky downward. It was absolutely amazing. I saw time lapse film of one in Texes near an airport once and in the time lapse it was going slower than what I saw. I'll remember that forever. Every time I go through that pass I'll tell that story.

Ahyc84
    dude, i give u props . it takes a real man to have guts to do something crazy like that even if you are crazy. musta been sweet even though it sounded insane

wat kinda math did u do really?? lol. how'd u know that u coulda punch a hole in the wind?

Bike
    bah
    I was doing 140 already... the wind looked to be going 100... I figured my force would be greater. The gixxer held steady through it.

I looked to be as far from the point on the ground that me and the wind were headed for. I was clearly faster. I just sorta thought in nautical terms of heading into the wind and holding steady. Even though it was one hell of a crosswind.

I think the concrete "falling rock" barrier saved my bike from getting blasted by limestone.

Ahyc84
    ur my idol
    lolz

Ahyc84
    how often does this shit happens???

and any area that happens more then others?