So i decided to share a little project with you guys. It's not motorbike-related, but I know there's some musicians and woodworkers alike in here that may find it interesting.
So I've owned this boutique 1990 Rivera S-120 guitar amp for many years now. It's a hand-built stereo guitar head, and I've found it to be an incredibly diverse amp....I've used it live and in the studio on recordings of anything from light folk to fairly heavy metal-rock. Over the years, the aesthetics of the amp got pretty rough. Touring, shows, in and out of rehearsal spaces..it takes its toll. The carpet was pilled and ripped in places, the handle was about ready to fall off, corner protectors cracked and losing pieces in places.
But all the audio aspects were fine....it still sounds great, so I didn't want to give up on it!
For it's 25th birthday, I decided it was time to give this snail a new shell, and a new style. Over the last few weeks, everything about it besides the amp itself and the logo, has been re-built from scratch. I'm an amateur woodworker at best....this is only my second project and first project done without significant input/assistance from others.
I started by finding myself a nice plank of peruvian walnut. 6 feet long, it was long enough to do build my whole head from the one piece:
It got measured up, and cut down to lengths. Decided to do mitred corners even though they're tougher to nail. Go big or go home, right?
Everything seemed to line up well:
I taped everything up, and discovered a small problem...
It seemed I hadn't noticed that the board narrowed from 12" wide at the top down to 11.5" wide at the bottom. I had run the piece through a jointer to straighten the edges, but forgot to give consideration that those edges may not be perfectly parallel. As a result, ended up with this!
It was easily enough resolved...I used the one side as the "straight" side, and narrowed the entire project down to 11.5", which still would be plenty of room to house the amp. Did a quick test fit of the amp (upside down) to make sure it would fit:
Next was glue! I got it all lined up, glued it up, and clamped it using these awesome ratchet strap clamp things:
Once it dried, it came out looking pretty good. I started to get excited at this point....things were starting to actually look like something: