wow....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wow....

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '04 ZX10R

wow....

KTM CEO: “if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street."

Any bike can be dangerous if handled improperly or without due diligence. I've got a 10r with just a hair under 195hp - but driven responsibly. Save the WOT for track days and closed events. Talking about blacklisting bikes because of "too much power"

I know that the majority of this applies to Murica - but it always ends up coming up here at some point. :S

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/h...-own-good.html
    04 Kawi zx10r - power commander, pazzos, akropovic exhaust, some other goodies.
    99 Honda shadow vlx650
    '09 Dizzer 400sm

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    This is old news and a repost on this forum.

Most people have no use for a 200hp superbike, and they certainly do not have the skillset for riding it either.
    Last edited by bandito; 05-24-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2012 street triple
    So maybe the problem isn't that their are 200hp superbikes out there for your average joe to ride, but that the only barrier to your average joe getting his mitts on one is a big credit card, at least in North America. Maybe if we had a sensible conversation, instead of demonizing fast noisy motorcycles, and put in place some licensing restrictions, like the UK or Australia for example, that restricts riders to certain levels of performance when they are new and inexperienced. I know America is all about 'freedom', but its about time to have some personal responsibility to go along with it.

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Most people have no use for a 200hp superbike, and they certainly do not have the skillset for riding it either.
    This.

Sure it's nice to have the power should you ever need it, but I can think of 0 times when you'd need all 200hp on a street bike in day to day use or even touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    If they were on 650 v-stroms we could all just conclude they were weetarded.

Bike
    ummm
    I'd like to hear what kind of performance mods you've done to get 195 hp out of your bike, pretty impressive!

There's certainly a place for 200 hp bikes. just as there's a place for 1300 hp cars on the street. That kind of hp on the street, used to it's full margin, will tend to increase the amount of retina donations in the transplant field. Manufactures do of course realize that there's perhaps only several 1000 people on earth that can use this power to it's fullest on the street, and they are getting paid well to race their product. For the rest of us, high levels of available computer intervention is used to protect those who have higher testosterone levels than skill levels. Yes, insurance companies, big government, etc, will probably get together if rates of youngsters end up eating the back of Kenworths go up, and a gentleman's agreement may indeed happen again. Remember the 100 hp maximum?

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I'd like to hear what kind of performance mods you've done to get 195 hp out of your bike,
    Me too, must be huge work and money........or perhaps just a good imagination.....
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2002 VFR 800
    I just have to say, I love anything that goes fast, but also definitely think licensing in North America is a joke, as compared to Europe. We should certainly be able to buy whatever motor vehicles we want, but maybe an appropriate license for something so extreme as a 200hp motorcycle makes sense. Some quality track time over the weekend can cure a lot of bad habits and make street riding a doddle by comparison (unpredictable traffic aside).

At the end of the day, its not up to our government(s) to decide what we can and cannot buy, but to protect us from ourselves. Sometimes its an outright ban on purchase , but in this case that is certainly not appropriate. Also, as was mentioned, nearly all of us will never have the skills to ride superbikes even near limits, but so what?

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I'd like to hear what kind of performance mods you've done to get 195 hp out of your bike, pretty impressive!

There's certainly a place for 200 hp bikes. just as there's a place for 1300 hp cars on the street. That kind of hp on the street, used to it's full margin, will tend to increase the amount of retina donations in the transplant field. Manufactures do of course realize that there's perhaps only several 1000 people on earth that can use this power to it's fullest on the street, and they are getting paid well to race their product. For the rest of us, high levels of available computer intervention is used to protect those who have higher testosterone levels than skill levels. Yes, insurance companies, big government, etc, will probably get together if rates of youngsters end up eating the back of Kenworths go up, and a gentleman's agreement may indeed happen again. Remember the 100 hp maximum?
    There was an agreement at 300kph, and again there is some woofuckery agreement at 200hp, which clearly Kawasaki stuck their nose up at anyways.

The OP's 2004 zx10 doesn't have 195hp, unless it has a turbo or a NOS bottle on it.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I don't get this can't use x hp on the street talk. They make these funny things called on ramps where you can use pretty much all your hp and stay fully within the law.
    If you are willing to say, exceed the speed limit for a bit, you can use pretty much all your hp on any highway. The faster you are going, the less skillful you have to be to use big power.
    Contrary to the ingrained bcsb wisdom, I think straight line acceleration is hilarious fun. Someone once told me that feeling a bike pull hard from 250kph is something you should experience at least once. On a race track. Obviously.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    I don't get this can't use x hp on the street talk. They make these funny things called on ramps where you can use pretty much all your hp and stay fully within the law.
    If you are willing to say, exceed the speed limit for a bit, you can use pretty much all your hp on any highway.
    Find me a 200HP sportbike that does not make it's peak power near the highest revs and then show me how anyone could possibly use that on the street.

It's bragging rights at best, and I would suggest 99% of those bike owners never use all that power. Simply twisting the wrist fully for short periods of time
    does not mean you have 200HP working between your legs.

I'm not for limiting anything BTW, I say build it and people will buy it, it's all good, but it's a pipe dream to assume people who have it actually use it all.......specifically on a bike.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    To all those questioning the OPs #

I have seen a tuned ZX10 with a full system pull 188 on a dyno. Zero engines mods.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

wow....

Although I have managed approx 150 hp on my BlackBird, and 175 MPH in the states, which was a bit scary, I loved it. I feel I have enough HP from my BB, and never had an issue touring with 3 loaded Givis and my wife. Would I like to ride to Nels for a reflash, of course I would.!! No turbo or supercharge for this senior. Now the truth, I want above all just to ride the S2S, in the right lane to Pemberton, Mile One for breakfast. With little to no pain. Too be able to ride again at 70 years old. Damn, sorry I ripped this post abut. I remember riding through Lions Bay in 4th gear, laughing all the way.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    KTM 1290 Super Duke
    I'm still having a problem finding any information from KTM or online showing the RC8 producing 200hp....

"With its 129 kW (173 hp) of power, V2 engine on the 2015 KTM 1190 RC8 R can be regarded as a measure of everything for twin ultra-sporty, with maximum performance, predictable characteristics and high reliability. KTM engine impresses with a very wide rev range and spontaneous throttle response, while providing the highest ride quality."

Should mention that is measured at the crank not at the back wheel...

The statement from KTM CEO: “if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street." why in the world did they improve the RC8 engine with more HP and call it the Super Duke R ???? I would suggest KTM is going to release something grander in the near future for the GP stage.

BTW.... the SDR with Austin Racing full exhaust and PCV installed is peaking at 160 HP at the wheel......

Cheers,
    LAH

WMRC #715

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    To all those questioning the OPs #

I have seen a tuned ZX10 with a full system pull 188 on a dyno. Zero engines mods.
    I looked on ZX10 forums, and most "best" numbers with full tune, PC, full exhaust are around 160ish.

How someone gets an additional 35 is a massive undertaking.......or extremely optimistic dyno.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **