Thread: Alternator

Lightbulb Alternator

My bike wasn't charging properly, so I got a new battery. However, it seems that its not charging either, so I need to go alternator shopping.

Can anyone suggest where to get one, or should I just go to Carter Motorsports? (93 CBR600 F2)

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

try to get a used one,there expensive,a.c generator.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,

F2's, 3's and 4's are all known for blowing the regulator on a, ahem, regular basis. It's much more likely that's what has gone rather than the alternator.

Check with Carter to see if they have a test setup and go that route first. It's about 90% chance that its your regulator rather than the alternator.

And if you don't know the regulator is the flat box under the right side seat fairing in front of the spark control box. It'll be the one with the recessed face with rubbery stuff in it and the white connector.

The "hot" setup (man, I'm just full of bad puns today ) is to add a computer heatsink and fan combo to your new regulator. They just get too hot for a long life on their own. As soon as I get a chance I'll be doing this to my track bike as well. It's a $15 fix and that's cheap for the peace of mind it will bring.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.