Immobilizer vs non-immobilizer parts

Thread: Immobilizer vs non-immobilizer parts

Registered User Array
    Port Coquitlam
    2008 R1

Immobilizer vs non-immobilizer parts

I bought an 08 R1 motor that I'm planning to transplant into another project, but I'm having trouble figuring out the immobilizer system.The motor came with an ECU and harness but no key switch. So I bought a key switch but it's made for an American bike without an immobilizer so it doesn't plug into my Canadian harness. I'm wondering what the cheapest way to get the motor going is. I'm thinking I can buy a US wiring harness to go with my US key switch, then get my Canadian ECU flashed with US software to get rid of the immobilizer. Does anyone know if that will work, with the cylinders identified in the right order? Are there shops in the lower mainland that do ECU flashing or do I have to buy the kit?Any help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Kits Beach
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I read on Nel's web site 'TwoWheelDyno' that you can send your ECU to him for re flashing. $299 I think. However several members do take their bikes to Nels and are better qualified to answer your question. Check out his web site.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

2003 fz-1
    The young BMW mechanic at European motorsports in Surrey just went through this with his R-6 2008, his name is Peter and he replaced the smashed lock-set with a american key and ECU to keep the cost down, there was a wiring mod to be done when he compared the 2 wiring diaghrams and some ecu function diaghram (it's got a fancy name).
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.