BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Buying a bike that hasnt had an oil change in 5 years

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  malamikigo 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about buying a bike that hasn't had its first oil change yet?
It a 2009 CBR 600RR with 3500Km, bought in 2010 brand new. All he said was it hasn't needed to go in for service yet because I hasn't hit 4000km. I'm new to the bike scene so I'm not sure if bike oil is changed any differently than a car. I would think that should of been changed regardless of he Km.

#3 ·
That kind of lack of attention to maintenance would typically extend to all parts of the bike. It's probably not "damaged" (it's a Honda after all) but you'd need to spend some money on a complete service, all fluids changed, etc. Tires may be ready for replacing as well. Should all be considered in the purchase price relative to a seller with a good service history.

#8 ·
You won't have to "change" fuel injectors and it obviously needs a battery, not that unusual.
If you're absolutely "not" mechanically inclined, don't bother, get something that runs. If you know what you're doing go for it, but it doesn't sound like it.

#11 ·
lol, I am actually mechanically inclined...when it comes to cars. I do most of my own work. Don't know anything about bikes tho. The fuel injector comment was told to me by a
motorcycle mechanic, he said it possibly may need changing because no fuel stabilizer was used when stored for 2 years. I knew the battery would need changing, just wasn't impressed he didn't atleast do that knowing I was coming there to check it out...with cash in hand!
Km was actually 2500.

#10 · (Edited)
It's going to have bad gas in it probably at this point as well. Not the biggest deal, as it's likely not varnished past the point where it will clean up on it's own. Top it up with fresh gas, change the oil, and put a battery in it (the one in it now is likely too sulfated to take a charge at this point) and see if it runs. Or offer to buy it from the guy at a big price drop as-is.

Worst case is dry rotted tires and some dry seals in the calipers and possibly the fuel system. If you can repair these things yourself then it's mostly labour and not much money in actual parts.

#15 ·
If the price is right it could be a hell of a deal, it could also be a can of worms.

One other thing worth considering is where it was stored, inside a heated garage would be best, if it was parked in the weather it could be iffy.

Take a good look inside the gas tank for signs of rust.

#17 ·
If the battery's totally shot I don't think that'd work. You need some juice to fire plugs, injectors, fuel pump etc...

OP never said if the lights came on or not.

#19 ·
Such a shame to hear that a 6-year old bike was only on the road for 3,500 kms. That's like 3-4 tanks of fuel. [crying]

#24 · (Edited)
It's an 09 it will be fine. Change the fluids, the battery, change the tires, basic stuff. I revived our old '95 race bike that had been parked since 2010. Easy. Well everything except removing the carbs holy crap those things were stuck in there! If it's being sold at a discounted price all that much better.

#25 ·
Oil/filter is to be changed out at 1k km to get rid of all the metal flakes pulled out when rings sealed and transmission settled, having that floating around in your engine is not good, but maybe 2500km is not a huge deal.

It might be a blessing that is didn't start and suck all that old gas in deeper, give the guy a call and tell him not to start it. He may be buying a new battery to try again. Tank needs to be drained, then checked for rust.

If inside of tank is rusty, discount the price of a new tank from whatever he is asking. Some people clean and re-coat, but this is only good for a few years. Fuel pump may also be rusty.

If tank is clean inside, then dump fuel, change oil/filter, refill with premium + engine cleaner (Seafoam), switch out battery, see if it comes to life. The Seafoam will take a few days to clean injectors etc.

It will be at this point you will likely know why the bike has been sitting all this time. Maybe there are electrical issues, or something worse. Buyer beware, but it could also turn out to be a great deal.

#27 ·
The odd part was he is selling for a friend that can't speak English. There is 2 of them. Same color/model/year. Bought at the same time brand new. Both are asking $7500. 1 has 2600km or whatever I said before, the other has 1 has 10,000km. He is a 35 years old, his 2 friends are 35 and 60. The 2600km bike I checked out was the 60 year Olds and it sure didn't look like this guy could hope on that bike and ride lol.
Whole situation seems sketchy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.