Use of Tinted Visors At Night...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Use of Tinted Visors At Night...

jughead

Use of Tinted Visors At Night...

Hi all. Can anyone share their experiences using a (darker) tinted visor while riding late into the evenings?

As the night falls, I imagine it's not a great idea to keep a tinted visor on for visibility reasons (if not for legal implications?)... so do you carry along a spare clear visor with you (which sounds like a hassle) or is it just too much hassle in general and use them only in shorter daytime rides?

They sure do look cool though!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    My first lid that i got off of Islandgixxer was a shoei with a tinted visor.....i kept the tinted visor on , but always kept a pair of those cool "eyejacket" type safety glasses with me....so at night, i'd lift up the visor and just have my eyes protected by the glasses.

WIth my arai though, i've only got a clear visor, so as you can imagine , i do the opposite...shades on in the sun. I prefer that much better to havin the tinted visor.
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Registered User Array omega red's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 rc51
    i never change. but it doesn't work well at night. so dont do it.
    looking cool is secondary. safty first.
    ride to last not fast.

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    I cant ride at night so the tinted visor stays on.............until that day.....

Bike
    Originally posted by darkstar
    I cant ride at night so the tinted visor stays on.............until that day.....
    I admire your will power.
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper

Re: Use of Tinted Visors At Night...

Originally posted by jughead
    Hi all. Can anyone share their experiences using a (darker) tinted visor while riding late into the evenings?

As the night falls, I imagine it's not a great idea to keep a tinted visor on for visibility reasons (if not for legal implications?)... so do you carry along a spare clear visor with you (which sounds like a hassle) or is it just too much hassle in general and use them only in shorter daytime rides?

They sure do look cool though!

Using a tinted visor at night sucks. For some reason streets in van aren't well lit to begin with, add tint and its worse. If I stay out late and I have a tinted visor on I just ride with it up. Sucks if your going down the highway too!
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bike
    oh yeah...i just noticed you ride an 89 honda.

that's goin to be one of those old school type "glass" headlights.

those are the shits when it comes to light quality.
    Takin that into consideration now, i'd say DEFINITELY stay away from tinted visors at night......if you had one of them new style halogens then it wouldn't be sooo bad.

I know the difference between my old katana and the 98 gixxer i had, was ..let's say "night and day"
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

– Albert Hubbard

Bike
    none, till the boys are older
    I almost exclusively ride with a tinted visor, rain or shine, day or night. But I don't recommend it. It is really hard to see in some corners and it does take away a bit of safety. I do though, try to have a pair of yellows (glasses) with me whenI know I'll be riding at night.

I will be using my clear visor more often now too.
    "...than I'll be done and we can dance.."

Bike
    Originally posted by HotWheels
    I do though, try to have a pair of yellows (glasses) with me whenI know I'll be riding at night.

you know...i don't know if there's much truth to this, but.....according to this guy "dawg" that i sled with, he was saying that if you wear amber lenses in the "daytime", you can actually do damage to your eyes (retinas, w.h.y?)
    according to what he was tellin me , it magnifies the intensity of the light...so i'm assuming whilst this is good for depth perception (used to use amber lenses for paintball), it intensifies the light too much for your eyes to tolerate with out suffering damage to some degree with prolonged use.

He now says the only thing he wears are the "blue" lenses.

I did read that you wear them at "Night"...just thought i'd mention that incase.
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

– Albert Hubbard

Bike
    none, till the boys are older
    Well like everything it'll prolly give you cancer. I haven't heard about the damage to the eyes wilst wearing them during the day.
    Yes, I usually only wear them at noght, but I sometimes wear them during the day...only if it's raining hard. I seems to make objects clearer and more noticable.
    "...than I'll be done and we can dance.."

Bike
    N/A Supermoto:
    I have both with me and so I just change up
    look where you want to go even if there's no chance in hell of actually getting there..

Shylock
    I never swap the tint. If it a light tint it can be ok to ride at night. Most of the time I just flip up in the summer... get that cool night breeze in my face!

In fact the one time I did have a clear visor on I felt naked! I would be staring at people and realize they could see me looking at them. LOL

Bike
    Honda NC19
    On my old helmet I used to always ride with a tinted visor... Day or night. I found that it wasn't too dark of a tint and while it made a difference during the day... At nights it didn't do too much damage. If I was doing some tight turns at night I'd flip it up before entering the turn. Otherwise I'd just leave it down in case of bugs/debris getting into my eyes.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

Bike
    sold - borrowing my wife's CBR
    I have a clear visor, and carry a pair of "wrap-around" sunglasses with me.

I used to have a semi tinted visor when I rode in England. It was a smokey brown colour up top, but got clear at the bottom. It worked great, and I wore it day or night. If it got too brght, I tipped my head down. If I needed more light, I lifted my head up a bit more.

I'm thinking of buying one of those anti fog visor things that tint automatically in the sun. Seems like a great idea, but I'll have to see what it works like for real.
    Every day I break my previous record of consecutive days still alive.

Otter
    I used to ride at night with a dark tinted visor, and it can be done. However, if you combine rain mist into the equation, it gets very hard to see. I prefer to carry both visors with me for long rides and for evening rides, I'll just take the clear. I find sunglasses aren't comfortable under my helmet, so I prefer a dark visor to block the sun out.

I suppose if you went with a mild tint, it could work for both.