BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Use of Tinted Visors At Night...

3K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  caDey 
G
#1 ·
Hi all. Can anyone share their experiences using a (darker) tinted visor while riding late into the evenings?

As the night falls, I imagine it's not a great idea to keep a tinted visor on for visibility reasons (if not for legal implications?)... so do you carry along a spare clear visor with you (which sounds like a hassle) or is it just too much hassle in general and use them only in shorter daytime rides?

They sure do look cool though!

:rider

G
#28 ·
looky here; if youze ride in de dark wid de shades on, wass boun to happin? CRASH...................tinkle, tinkle .....shit ...man that hurtz .... howz my bike?...... Damn the bitch fell off too.

if you cant see where you are going or whats on the road you will crash. but hey nobody lives forever, right? some of the good ol boys here are right on, carry some kinda spare.

here's what I do. i cut the sleeve off an old sweatshirt and then i slide my clear visor into it. cuz i have a nice round tank i can slide this nifty little package under the tank bra and voila i always have the situation covered. cool eh. it doesnt show much and nobody's ever bothered with it. cha ching.
ch

#29 ·
I wear a clear visor, and just wear my sunglasses under the lid. I have a pair of raybans and they fit perfectly. I actually prefer this, cause on a hot day, I can flip up the lid and get a nice breeze in my face, but the wind stays out of my eyes.
When it gets dark, I just take the sunglasses off.
Nice and simple, and I don't have to carry a spare visor with me.

#30 ·
Haze said:
riding with a tinted visor at nite is illegal... and even if you just have the shield up (not covering your eyes), you still get a ticket.
From the Motor Vehicle Act:

Motorcycle safety helmets

221 (1) A person who operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle without properly wearing a motorcycle safety helmet commits an offence.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a helmet that has, by regulations that may be made by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, been designated as an approved motorcycle safety helmet, is deemed to be a motorcycle safety helmet.

(3) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations exempting any person or class of persons from the requirements of this section and prescribing conditions for those exemptions.
Although some could infer that the following section of the MVA Regulations applies:

Windshields and windows

7.05 (1) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle the windshield or any window of which is in such condition that the vision of the driver is impaired.
I'd like to see the section that says that tinted visors are illegal, though. If anyone can provide a reference...

#32 ·
I wear full face with tinted visor 100% of the time I ride, and have been doing it for the last eight years. I feel it cuts down on the headlight glare that the cars headlights have at night in the city. If you are riding at night in a dark place where there are less cars and it is raining then yes it does make it harder to see but then it is time to slow down anyways. Never outride your headlights at nighttime, if you have a tinted visor then this will be a shorter distance. :cool
And as for the legality of it I don’t see anywhere that states you have to have anything more than a helmet. It’s printed right on the visor “for daytime use” so it might be illegal in some areas but in BC I’ve gone through loads of roadblocks at night and all the police want to see is a class 6 and that you haven’t been drinking. I don’t think it’s illegal, but if it is, they haven’t stated it in any M.V. Act I’ve seen.

#33 ·
I have a dark & light smoked visors, a mirrored one and a FogCity HyperOptic insert on a clear visor. (I have 2 CL-12's and a Arai Signet GT)
Point: Light smoked visors ain't bad at night, I find my eyes can adjust to it easily.
Point: Dark smoked are a little harder, but it can be done if you keep your eyes moving. At night, if you stare at a dim lit object it can disapper. Low light vison is sharper just off center.
Point. HyperOptic inserts are the best compromise, 'cause it's activated by light strenght. They're just not as kewl.
Point. If you haven't got 1 nick on your lid, even the microscopic kind and also never ride in the rain, buy a mirrored visor. If you're like the other 98% of human existance, stick with the smokes. They show far fewer scratches. And the act of just opening the visor starts to remove the finish on the mirrored.

#35 ·
Big Jim said:
I ride with a High Definition visor (yellow/amber).

No need for sunglasses during the day, and can see fine at night.
Same. I got the HiDef yellow's on my 2 Arai's...

Actually, most everything on me has yellow when I ride!! (no yellow underwear though!)

Best thing about them is that you can see just as far with the HiDef as with the clear and it actually dims the car lights at night too~ In the daytime, it helps a little in blocking out sunlight and glare~

#37 ·
I'm always riding with my Dark tint, but if I know I'm going to be out past my bed time, then I switch to a clear visor before I leave and put on my fake Oakleys for that " I can see you, you can't see me look" :) :thumbup

#38 ·
Dat said:
The High Def visors the same deal as iridium ones?
Don't know if the iridium ones are hidef or not, but my yellow one is hidef... it's not iridium where as you can still see me... it's just tinted yellow but super clear~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.