BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Use of Tinted Visors At Night...

3K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  caDey 
G
#1 ·
Hi all. Can anyone share their experiences using a (darker) tinted visor while riding late into the evenings?

As the night falls, I imagine it's not a great idea to keep a tinted visor on for visibility reasons (if not for legal implications?)... so do you carry along a spare clear visor with you (which sounds like a hassle) or is it just too much hassle in general and use them only in shorter daytime rides?

They sure do look cool though!

:rider

#2 ·
My first lid that i got off of Islandgixxer was a shoei with a tinted visor.....i kept the tinted visor on , but always kept a pair of those cool "eyejacket" type safety glasses with me....so at night, i'd lift up the visor and just have my eyes protected by the glasses.

WIth my arai though, i've only got a clear visor, so as you can imagine , i do the opposite...shades on in the sun. I prefer that much better to havin the tinted visor.

#6 ·
jughead said:
Hi all. Can anyone share their experiences using a (darker) tinted visor while riding late into the evenings?

As the night falls, I imagine it's not a great idea to keep a tinted visor on for visibility reasons (if not for legal implications?)... so do you carry along a spare clear visor with you (which sounds like a hassle) or is it just too much hassle in general and use them only in shorter daytime rides?

They sure do look cool though!

:rider
Using a tinted visor at night sucks. For some reason streets in van aren't well lit to begin with, add tint and its worse. If I stay out late and I have a tinted visor on I just ride with it up. Sucks if your going down the highway too!

#7 ·
oh yeah...i just noticed you ride an 89 honda.

that's goin to be one of those old school type "glass" headlights.

those are the shits when it comes to light quality.
Takin that into consideration now, i'd say DEFINITELY stay away from tinted visors at night......if you had one of them new style halogens then it wouldn't be sooo bad.

I know the difference between my old katana and the 98 gixxer i had, was ..let's say "night and day" :p

#8 ·
I almost exclusively ride with a tinted visor, rain or shine, day or night. But I don't recommend it. It is really hard to see in some corners and it does take away a bit of safety. I do though, try to have a pair of yellows (glasses) with me whenI know I'll be riding at night.

I will be using my clear visor more often now too.

#9 ·
HotWheels said:
I do though, try to have a pair of yellows (glasses) with me whenI know I'll be riding at night.

you know...i don't know if there's much truth to this, but.....according to this guy "dawg" that i sled with, he was saying that if you wear amber lenses in the "daytime", you can actually do damage to your eyes (retinas, w.h.y?)
according to what he was tellin me , it magnifies the intensity of the light...so i'm assuming whilst this is good for depth perception (used to use amber lenses for paintball), it intensifies the light too much for your eyes to tolerate with out suffering damage to some degree with prolonged use.

He now says the only thing he wears are the "blue" lenses.

I did read that you wear them at "Night"...just thought i'd mention that incase.

#10 ·
Well like everything it'll prolly give you cancer. I haven't heard about the damage to the eyes wilst wearing them during the day.
Yes, I usually only wear them at noght, but I sometimes wear them during the day...only if it's raining hard. I seems to make objects clearer and more noticable.

G
#12 ·
I never swap the tint. If it a light tint it can be ok to ride at night. Most of the time I just flip up in the summer... get that cool night breeze in my face!:thumbup

In fact the one time I did have a clear visor on I felt naked!:laughing I would be staring at people and realize they could see me looking at them. LOL:p

#13 ·
On my old helmet I used to always ride with a tinted visor... Day or night. I found that it wasn't too dark of a tint and while it made a difference during the day... At nights it didn't do too much damage. If I was doing some tight turns at night I'd flip it up before entering the turn. Otherwise I'd just leave it down in case of bugs/debris getting into my eyes.

#14 ·
I have a clear visor, and carry a pair of "wrap-around" sunglasses with me.

I used to have a semi tinted visor when I rode in England. It was a smokey brown colour up top, but got clear at the bottom. It worked great, and I wore it day or night. If it got too brght, I tipped my head down. If I needed more light, I lifted my head up a bit more.

I'm thinking of buying one of those anti fog visor things that tint automatically in the sun. Seems like a great idea, but I'll have to see what it works like for real.

G
#15 ·
I used to ride at night with a dark tinted visor, and it can be done. However, if you combine rain mist into the equation, it gets very hard to see. I prefer to carry both visors with me for long rides and for evening rides, I'll just take the clear. I find sunglasses aren't comfortable under my helmet, so I prefer a dark visor to block the sun out.

I suppose if you went with a mild tint, it could work for both.

#16 ·
I'm a huge pack rat and almost always carry my tank bag with me when I'm out for the day.
I always take my clear visor with me and as soon as the sun starts to set, I switch out the tinted one with the clear.
I find it unsafe to ride at night with a tinted visor, and not to mention, since tinted visors are illegal anyway in Canada, I don't need to get stopped at night with one of those on. Some police officer would likely write me a ticket for the tinted visor, too on top of whatever he pulled me over for.

#19 ·
SpideRider said:
since tinted visors are illegal anyway in Canada, I don't need to get stopped at night with one of those on. Some police officer would likely write me a ticket for the tinted visor, too on top of whatever he pulled me over for.
Tinted visors are illegal in Canada day or night? I didn't know that, i thought they were fine during the day but were shunned upon at night. Or did i read into this post wrong ;)

#20 ·
Cogitate said:
Tinted visors are illegal in Canada day or night? I didn't know that, i thought they were fine during the day but were shunned upon at night. Or did i read into this post wrong ;)
Cogi, Cogi, Cogi *tsk tsk* Haven't you figured it out by now? If there's a chance you could be the subject of paying in for yet more wasted revenue, then consider yourself fair game for tickets. :rolleyes

I actually never had a problem with riding around with my tinted visor on at night.......the reason for this, because vehicles with newer bright lights would not put glare in my eyes....of course somenights were just too muggy though.

Hotwheel- "like everything it'll probably give you cancer"
Bwwwwwwwwwhahahahha .....ain't that the truth though :rolleyes *sigh*

#21 ·
rearwheelrider said:
Cogi, Cogi, Cogi *tsk tsk* Haven't you figured it out by now? If there's a chance you could be the subject of paying in for yet more wasted revenue, then consider yourself fair game for tickets. :rolleyes
Hmmmm I never prescribed to contributing to our famed government's ludicrous spending habits, nor do I willingly contribute to their revenue...

But I thought that wearing a tinted visor during the day was OK, but at night it was a no no... but I get your point, why wear it for fear of being fined, in the end just don't do it or carry a spare.

#24 ·
wicked_police said:
Your sled buddy smokes too much pot.
Guilty :D

I'm goin to go ask an optician just to be sure though.

wicked_police said:
And I don't know about tinted visors being illegal during the day, or at night for that matter. I never worried about that chicken-shit stuff.
well...when it comes right down to it...the only people that have to be worried about tinted lenses bein illegal are the ones that stop for cops! :roflmao

G
#26 ·
Rain or shine I wear my dark tinted visor during the day but if I think It'll get dark before I get home I'll ethier change to my clear visor or carry it with me. Unlit roads + Dark visor = Nathan can't see a f*cking thing, my eyes tear way to much with the visor up to ride properly :evil

I just get really emotional when I'm riding okay:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.