BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Engines and stuff...

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  InvisibleSoul 
#1 ·
I've often wondered...

Could you not take two inline 4 motorcycle engines, and put them together into a car? Would that create double the HP and torque of just the one engine alone in a bike?

It would be fun to drive a car with a 12,000rpm redline, nice and smooth from essentially a small block 8 cylinder engine.

I don't think you could just take two engines and stick them together, but if you could, make one solid engine block with 8 cylinders but only have the displacement at 2.0L?

Comments? Ideas?

;D

#2 ·
Inline 8 would not be balanced well, but a V-8 would be..

Isn't that what F1 car engines basically are? 3.0L V-10 engines. I believe they can rev to 15,000 rpm because with such small cylinders (and of course super light weight parts) they have very low friction.

I heard a washington university Formula SAE team made a 600cc V-8 for their race car..

#4 ·
Wannabe said:
Inline 8 would not be balanced well, but a V-8 would be..

YOu can balance any inline engine if you want to go to the trouble. it's not "hard" as such.....

Rolls Royce made an inline 12 cyl. ran like a top.......the biggest concern with inline engines is that the heads suffer warpage far easier then V engines for the V engines are of shorter construction making for strength....which even then is sometimes a piece of shit. :rolleyes

there's other things to consider too....such as havin sufficient bearing support journals to aid the crank pulses to stop warping/cracking of the crank.

As for "could i put two bike engines together"? yeah.... we do it with model airplane engines even....takes a bit of know how, but the point is it's an option.

where you're main concern is , is like i posted in the other thread with a like wise question.

the torque factor of these bike engines isn't there to pull the weight of a car......leightweight parts are a huge factor...accompanied with shorter strokes......abscence of the heavy fly-wheels etc (lightweightparts, once again)

Like Len mentioned- but didn't go into detail....if you can get a comparitive weight (such as the 5/8th scale mods) then you can acheive your goal of getting fast car.....but what it comes down to is the fact that your car's got to weigh near enough the same as the bike weight it's designed for.

#6 ·
I'm sure you could... there are people who have put motorcycle engines in cars, and people who have put two engines in cars... so I'm sure they can put two motorcycle engines in cars.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/xtr2.htm

Check out this car. Westfield XTR²

This thing uses a Hayabusa engine in it. It's street legal (at least over there in England) and it can beat the Lamborghini Murcielago and Pagani Zonda on the racetrack because it's so light. Of course, being a Hayabusa engine, it can rev nice and high.

#8 ·
I can't find the site just now but there was a place that was putting twin ZX-9R engines into Lotus Super Seven copies. 0-100kph in 3.6 sec. That's liter bike performance if you didn't realize it.

#9 ·
I once saw two ArticCat 900cc motors mated together with a turbo on it.It made something like 700 hp.It was in a snowmobile set up for drag racing.The best way to describe that thing was "really fucking fast".I dont remember the 1/4 times,but it was beating full on tube frame pro stock type drag cars.

#10 ·
InvisibleSoul said:
I think someone's gettin ripped off here. :rolleyes

InvisibleSoul said:
The best way to describe that thing was "really fucking fast".
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice :thumbup I get the FULL picture now. there's things that are "FAST'...and then there's things that are "FUGGIN FAST".... we like things like the latter, eh Arcz? :thumbup :D

#18 ·
InvisibleSoul said:
...? Don't get it.

Dude, learn to quote... arcrz said that, not me.
what do you mean you "don't get it"? Zonda....Honda...made the connection yet? sheeeit...sell me an ounce of whatever it is you be tokin. :cool

And i make ONE teensy mistake in ONE of my many thousands of posts....and sure'nough... you go and get all hot to trot.
WELL, i'm sorry i'm not good enough for you.....between all my postin and keepin the fire goin with Floman, there's just really not much left for you. sorry. :p

Over

#19 ·
HotWheels said:
okay, so it would seem that you could take a 'busa motor and slip it into a Mini?
An old original Mini? Now that would be cool. A new one? Forget it. BMW has done a lovely job of bringing out an updated Mini but it's way heavier than the original and the 'busa motor wouldn't light it up like a lighter package would. With the 160 or so you'd only be up to the Cooper level or close to it.

BTW, the same company that I can't fine is making the Lotus Super Sevens with 'busa motors as well. Now THAT would raise my eyebrows....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.