06 CBR600rr Temp Gauge reading all over..

Thread: 06 CBR600rr Temp Gauge reading all over..

Bike
    '06 cbr600rr

06 CBR600rr Temp Gauge reading all over..

Weird problem just recently started occurring on my '06 cbr600rr. The coolant temp gauge is jumping around like crazy, upon warm up it raises fairly normally, but jumps up and down ~ 20 degrees, and continues jumping back and forth while riding etc. within 20-40 degree variations every few seconds. Fan still kicks on as normal, but the temp even for a brief second will read as overheating, and the warning light will come on, and then jump back down to normal..

I tried googling for other people having similar symptoms with no luck. Any suggestions? Is there a certain way to check the temp censor etc. with a multi-meter? Possible wiring short? or any shop recomendation? I am in Port Coquitlam. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    I hope it's not what caused my old bike to send out false readings, head gasket.

It could be a sticky thermostat.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    N/A
    Any idea where it picks up the temp? Could be the sensor starting to fail...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2013 CB1100
    You can check a temp sensor with a multimeter and a pot of boiling water on your stove.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHWpgHMAvY

You could also just hook the multi meter up to the sensor while it's sitting on the bike and just run the engine to get it up to temp, while monitoring it the same way. Though I'm pretty sure you need to take your gas tank off to get at the sensor so the pot would be a better bet. IIRC the sensor is next to the thermostat basically under and behind the intake runners from the head to the airbox.

From what you describe, as it seems to be fluctuating faster than the water could realistically change temperature. I'd say it's likely the temperature sensor that has failed.

Bike
    '06 cbr600rr
    Thanks for the replies! I will try the pot of water method tomorrow and let you know how it worked.

and Pea Souper, I am pretty sure it is sensor/electrical related not mechanical, as it jumps around literally every second it refreshes, and big jumps too. doesnt matter if im idling, or cruising on the highway. No strange smoke/smells of anything being burnt, but you never know.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    It's an electrical problem, not the temperature fluctuating that fast as you say. I'd check 600rr.net to see if anyone has had the same issue, it might speed up your troubleshooting.

If it were me, I'd just order the temperature sensor... because that is almost certainly the problem here if it's the only thing on the dash going wonky.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!