How did you pilots pay for your training?

Thread: How did you pilots pay for your training?

BMW meet Buster Array katana1150's Avatar
    east and south of portmann
    98 tiller

How did you pilots pay for your training?

Just wondering how some of you who fly managed to pay for your ppl or your comercial licence?

good christ it is not cheap to learn how to fly....ground school is nothing much but man the rental of the plane is astounding. Not to mention the cost of owning and maintining a airplane these days. My father owned 2 back in the 70's, I have no idea how he managed to fly and maint. a single and a twin. He wasn't rich or anything.

I have been looking into the prices of aircraft lately and there is nothing much under $50,000 US

I was thinking that it would be better to learn in something a little larger than a C-150/152. Maybe more like a 172 or even a 182. I have some experience in a C-182 that my father used to own but I haven't been up in a small plane in nearly 20 years

I was also wondering, once I have a ppl then how difficult is it to get a multi engine rating?

You see I plan on winning one of these damn lotteries soon and then I can afford to own a plane
    Last edited by katana1150; 07-24-2003 at 06:01 AM.
    A religious war is simply a battle to see who has the best imaginary friend
    Laws without consequences are simply suggestions
    I drive a Dodge Ram3500 Dually, Go ahead and cut me off with your pretty little Audi or BMW! if we connect...........I WIN!

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Learn to fly in a 152 if you and the instructor both fit. The transition to larger Cessnas is trivial, but the cost of rental will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I did mine about 6 years ago now, but when I did it I averaged about $100/week for a year, or about $5000 total. Including a DC headset, and a Cencal flight bag. That's about an hour of flying a week, on average, and the earlier hours were a little more expensive than the later ones (earlier hours are dual-heavy, later ones are solo-heavy).

I did the flying part of my license in 44.9 hours, then did 5 hours of acro while studying to write my written. The schools all tell you that the average is around 60 hours... If you have an instructor who doesn't believe you can do it in less than 60 hours, find another instructor. 60 hours is ludicrous, it's just not that hard to learn to fly.
    My Picasa Album

Top Gun wannabe Array AviationFuel-ed's Avatar
    N. Delta/Surrey
    '98 ZX6R no more, sold to pay for the plane
    Pay??? Flyin costs money???

Alright, seriously. That's exactly why I'm just now finally completing my commercial license after six years of flying.

Start in the smallest and cheapest plane possible. Even though the ultimate goal is to fly the biggest plane possible, the smaller aircraft require a different skill level that you should learn right off the bat.
    You will have plenty of time to fly the heavy iron later.
    20% Temper
    80% Mental

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Oh, I paid dearly, let me tell you....

The costs in balsa, tissue paper for covering, broken props, fuel @ 16 oz/hr, not to mention all the gas for my vehicle to get out to the flying field..... It was terrible. And you have no idea of the pain a 12 strand rubber motor can inflict when it bursts while "packing in one last turn". Or the mixed feelings as your latest free flight creation flies away in a thermal.

............ um...... you aren't talking about model flying are you?........ I didn't think so.

I'll leave now.....

*Bruce exits stage left as katana1150, Spike and AviationFuel-ed stare at his retreating back in dead silence like he just hopped off the turnip truck. *

A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Langley, BC
    None right now...

Originally posted by TeeTee
    ........... um...... you aren't talking about model flying are you?........ I didn't think so.
    Well, he didn't ask about the costs that flying brings upon you once you get your license. Like the overwhelming desire to keep doing it, and to do things that you can't do in a rental airplane... Like fly upside down or in tight formation. Urges that lead you to do things like start building an airplane in your basement.

No, let's not go into that discussion... Let's get this guy his license first... Then he'll be hooked... 8-)

2005 CBR 600RR
    I bought a cessna 150 with 8 other student pilots . we hired an instructor and sold our shares to other students when we were done . It worked out at the time to be fairly cheap compared to renting.

why fly when you can jump out of them... I jump out of C-182's and C-205's.. wooohooooooooo
    Last edited by Travis; 07-25-2003 at 03:33 PM.