what sets bikes weight/capacity limits?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: what sets bikes weight/capacity limits?

  1. #1
    Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    its fast....

    what sets bikes weight/capacity limits?

    What is the main reason for setting bikes capacity? Is it the suspension?, Bikes frame/sub frame strength? or tires?
    And does anyone know the limits on an 07 gsxr750?
    I can find the bikes dry/wet weight, But not carrying capacity.
    Im running metzeler sportec m7 RR tires if it matters.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Array HighZoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    ..
    prob 350 or there abouts.

  4. #3
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Williams Lake B.C.
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    That info should be on the bike, along with tire pressures and size.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

    Ride safe folks.

  5. #4
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I just consulted the gixxer manual. *And I quote: "no fatties brah"
    *

  6. #5
    Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    its fast....
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    I just consulted the gixxer manual. *And I quote: "no fatties brah"
    *
    Shit, i'm out then........ lol (i wish i had a paper copy of the owners manual though)

  7. #6
    Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    its fast....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    That info should be on the bike, along with tire pressures and size.
    Negative..... The sticker thats usually on swingarm or chain gaurd is M.I.A.

    But, Good thing you mentioned it... My R6 was 38f 42r psi for 2up, If i remember correctly, Sound about right??
    I googled, But found every combination from 32/32 to 42/42 and everything in between....

  8. #7
    Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R750
    Interesting topic: I must admit I have never even thought about this! I have done a quick bit of looking:

    * I have not seen anything on the specs for my bike (2006 GSX-R750, i.e. essentially the same bike as the OP's) pertaining to max all up weight.
    * As the "most vulnerable" part I have checked on the tyres (just had brand spanking new Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas put on yesterday!). Rear tire max loading is 365kg, front seems to be 236kg from the "58W" marking on the tyre. This gives a total of pretty much exactly 600kg. With a dry weight of 163kg, this IMPLIES a total load capability of 437kg. BUT THERE ARE NUMEROUS ASSUMPTIONS IN HERE THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE ARE VALID, such as the weight is perfectly distributed in the correct proportions over the two wheels!!!!! For instance: what about when you are on one wheel only (wheely or stoppy)?

    That is it for hard data. As regards empirical experience: my bike has now done just over 31,000km. Probably around 80% of that has been two up. Some comments:

    * We are no lightweights: both of us are taller, bigger people: not far off 90kg each.
    * On top of that we tour so we frequently have a backpack each: add another 10 - 15kg?
    * This implies a load of almost 200kg from passengers.
    * Gas and oil etc must account for another 25kg?
    * We don't dawdle around. By that I do not mean we do warp speed in a straight line: I do not get much fun out of that and the risks are too high legally. But we do use corners. As indication: this is what my bike's back tyre looked like after a 3 day, 1,600km trip to the Okanagan a couple weeks ago:



    * I have never felt that the bike feels "wallowy" or imprecise or that something is flexing and/or bending inordinately. Braking is fantastic, handling is precise, even when riding "spiritedly".

    From all of that I deduce that a load of 225kg is acceptable for my bike.

    FWIW

    Alwyn

  9. #8
    Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    its fast....
    Alwyn,
    Thank you for the excellent write up and confirmation that we will be ok weight wise
    on our ride. Especially since your experience is on the same bike.

    What pressure you running in your tires for 2up?
    I was thinking of starting at 42/38 and adjust as thgew ride goes and see how it handles. But any input os appreciated.

  10. #9
    Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R750
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter302 View Post
    Alwyn,
    Thank you for the excellent write up and confirmation that we will be ok weight wise
    on our ride. Especially since your experience is on the same bike.

    What pressure you running in your tires for 2up?
    I was thinking of starting at 42/38 and adjust as thgew ride goes and see how it handles. But any input os appreciated.
    A pleasure for what it is worth!

    I run the pressures as per the manual and the sticker on the swingarm: 36 psi front, 42 psi rear. This has been the same on the OEM Bridgestones, the set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's after that and the wore out set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas I have just replaced. Interestingly enough the recommended pressures are the same for solo and two up riding. I have never bothered experimenting with pressures as I find that I am very happy with the feel and behaviour of the bike at these pressures.

    Enjoy the ride and be safe.

    Alwyn

  11. #10
    Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter302 View Post
    What is the main reason for setting bikes capacity? Is it the suspension?, Bikes frame/sub frame strength? or tires?
    And does anyone know the limits on an 07 gsxr750?
    I can find the bikes dry/wet weight, But not carrying capacity.
    Im running metzeler sportec m7 RR tires if it matters.
    How heavy are you?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

  12. #11
    Registered User Array bandito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlab View Post
    A pleasure for what it is worth!

    I run the pressures as per the manual and the sticker on the swingarm: 36 psi front, 42 psi rear. This has been the same on the OEM Bridgestones, the set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's after that and the wore out set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas I have just replaced. Interestingly enough the recommended pressures are the same for solo and two up riding. I have never bothered experimenting with pressures as I find that I am very happy with the feel and behaviour of the bike at these pressures.

    Enjoy the ride and be safe.

    Alwyn
    I've never run tire pressures that high as a solo rider. 33/34 on pp3's solo... 32/32 for track duty. 42 in the rear is crazy... unless you are maybe
    2 up and with luggage and such. Just my .02c
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

  13. #12
    Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R750
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    I've never run tire pressures that high as a solo rider. 33/34 on pp3's solo... 32/32 for track duty. 42 in the rear is crazy... unless you are maybe
    2 up and with luggage and such. Just my .02c
    Seeing that as I mentioned probably 80% of my riding is two up (and quite frequently with luggage), 36/42 works for me. And also as mentioned regarding weight: let's just say neither my wife not I are flyweights.... Also just to bear in mind that the OP apparently had concerns about the upper limit for load on the bike, so higher rather than lower pressures certainly seem appropriate.

    But on the other hand: regarding the "crazy" comment: I TOTALLY resemble that remark!

    I am curious though Jay: if 33/34 works well (and I can quite understand that due to the larger contact patch at the lower pressure), why would Suzuki (whom one would certainly hope have some understanding of their own bike!) recommend such high pressures?

    Cheers

    Alwyn

  14. #13
    Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Manufacturers will always recommend the highest (fully burdened load) pressure because consumers are stupid, and manufacturers want to avoid a lawsuit
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

  15. #14
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Williams Lake B.C.
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    I find it odd that my old magna recommends 32/32 up to #200 and 32/40 up to the load limit of #370

    FJR is 39/42 up to #200 and 39/42 above #200 to load maximum, but, does not show maximum weight on the sticker. No change in tire pressures?
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

    Ride safe folks.

  16. #15
    Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Bike
    its fast....
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    How heavy are you?
    5'10" 235. (not a complete chunky monkey, decent amount of muscle cause of my job, but still well insulated lol)
    wife is 5'9" 150ish
    Tire at 36/42 The ride was great, Handling was good. Bike had no problems with the 2 of us on there. (My old r6 wasnt as happy 2up)
    Riding solo at 42 sucks. not a fan of it. And all i did was commute to work. Nothing crazy or fast. Its going down to 36-37 i think. (Day after our trip, forgot to air down)
    Thanks for the input. This thread has been quite informative.
    Last edited by dexter302; 08-26-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •