greatest motorcycle race ever?

Thread: greatest motorcycle race ever?

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird

greatest motorcycle race ever?

was watching some stuff tonight on the youtubes and netflixes and thought wow, that's got to be the greatest motorcycle race ever. not only great racing, but an absolutely gripping outcome.

2008 nw 200

what would you put down as your vote?
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    was watching some stuff tonight on the youtubes and netflixes and thought wow, that's got to be the greatest motorcycle race ever. not only great racing, but an absolutely gripping outcome.

2008 nw 200

what would you put down as your vote?
    Mike Hailwood. Full stop.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Mike Hailwood. Full stop.
    race - not racer.

Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2002 LeMans
    It's hard to pick a specific race for me. From the archives of Agostini through to the crazy 2 stroke days and then the absolutely beyond belief modern era, so many to chose.

Waaay *back when Rossi was assessed that 10 second stop and go penalty, and he when out and cleared it in ten laps .... that should be up there.*

I don't believe that you can compare long course races held on public roads to the manicured smoothness of tracks. It's comparing apples to apples to lounge chairs, the difference is that great. The NW200 with its 9 or so mile long lap is a far cry from Mugello. And the the 37.74 mile long lap at the IoM? Incredible.*

I will let ok at the NW race you mentioned. It's the least I can do seeing as I'm wearing a NW200 *tshirt today!

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post
    It's hard to pick a specific race for me. From the archives of Agostini through to the crazy 2 stroke days and then the absolutely beyond belief modern era, so many to chose.

Waaay *back when Rossi was assessed that 10 second stop and go penalty, and he when out and cleared it in ten laps .... that should be up there.*

I don't believe that you can compare long course races held on public roads to the manicured smoothness of tracks. It's comparing apples to apples to lounge chairs, the difference is that great. The NW200 with its 9 or so mile long lap is a far cry from Mugello. And the the 37.74 mile long lap at the IoM? Incredible.*

I will let ok at the NW race you mentioned. It's the least I can do seeing as I'm wearing a NW200 *tshirt today!
    yeah, in terms of just a racing performance i would agree that an argument can be made for many other races. i was thinking though that when you consider all the factors that can make a race great, in the case of that particular nw 200 all the emotion and circumstance surrounding the race help to put it over the top.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2002 LeMans
    I just checked Wikipedia to verify. Yep, with the Dunlop family tragedy and subsequent decision for the son to race, there are all the ingredients for a Hollywood movie. That was an emotional race for everyone present, I'm positive of that.*

Bike
    RC
    Imola 2002.

Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    RC
    And in English.

Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Imola 2002.
    I don't claim a wealth of experience or knowledge, but from what I DO know, that'd be my vote too.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post

2008 nw 200
    That was a pretty darn good race!

However, the more stuff I see the more I am convinced the TT is the greatest of them all. BBC's camera team also does an outstanding job of recording it.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Imola 2002.

i'd agree as well. That was one of the last edge of your seat, yelling at the tv races.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President