Broken Conrod?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken Conrod?

Registered User Array Acuracura's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS

Broken Conrod?

Hoping this forum is still active. My 2008 Honda CBR125r suddenly died on the highway. Wouldn't restart, just a single "thunk" when I hit the starter. Has 44k km and oil changed every 5k with Mobile1 MX4T. Towed to dealer and they think it's a broken conrod by looking through the spark plug hole. Would need to split engine to be sure but either way it's going to be a lot of labour and some parts (conrod, gaskets, bearings). Waiting on a quote for worst case scenario but repair could be anywhere from $500 to over $1k.

Options:

A) Attempt repair at shop. Could waste a lot of money if expensive or unsuccessful. Who knows what hidden surprises are in that little engine.

B) Attempt repair at home. I am not a mechanic but am inclined and have some resources for help. Parts will still add up and low likelihood of success.

C) Sell bike for parts. Replace with equivalent from craigslist for under $2k.

D) Sell bike for parts. Upgrade to a used 300cc. Wouldn't have to hold WOT to keep up with hwy traffic.

The CBR125 has served me well and I'd still be riding it if it didn't implode. Don't feel the urge to upgrade as I don't venture any further out than Chilliwack. Main advantage of replacing with the same bike is I can reuse the expensive givi rack/box. Also not looking to spend a lot as this is a completely unplanned expense. Can wait until next season but probably better deals to be had now, end of season.

Thoughts or suggestions of something I haven't considered? Thanks in advance.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2002 LeMans
    On that bike, even without that mileage, it isn't worth it to repair. If it were me, I would upgrade to a larger bike and rebuild the 125 for fun.*

I used to have a CBR125. If I remember correctly, oil capacity is 1 liter? I used to change the oil in it monthly just because that little engine had to work so hard. 44,000is pretty calm good though. You must have been doing something right. *

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuracura View Post
    Hoping this forum is still active. My 2008 Honda CBR125r suddenly died on the highway. Wouldn't restart, just a single "thunk" when I hit the starter. Has 44k km and oil changed every 5k with Mobile1 MX4T. Towed to dealer and they think it's a broken conrod by looking through the spark plug hole. Would need to split engine to be sure but either way it's going to be a lot of labour and some parts (conrod, gaskets, bearings). Waiting on a quote for worst case scenario but repair could be anywhere from $500 to over $1k.

Options:

A) Attempt repair at shop. Could waste a lot of money if expensive or unsuccessful. Who knows what hidden surprises are in that little engine.

B) Attempt repair at home. I am not a mechanic but am inclined and have some resources for help. Parts will still add up and low likelihood of success.

C) Sell bike for parts. Replace with equivalent from craigslist for under $2k.

D) Sell bike for parts. Upgrade to a used 300cc. Wouldn't have to hold WOT to keep up with hwy traffic.

The CBR125 has served me well and I'd still be riding it if it didn't implode. Don't feel the urge to upgrade as I don't venture any further out than Chilliwack. Main advantage of replacing with the same bike is I can reuse the expensive givi rack/box. Also not looking to spend a lot as this is a completely unplanned expense. Can wait until next season but probably better deals to be had now, end of season.

Thoughts or suggestions of something I haven't considered? Thanks in advance.*
    I'd be very curious about the guess diagnosis on the engine. Broken conrods almost always involve massive engine case destruction with oil pouring out, quite obvious. And being a Honda, you pretty well have to pin the engine full throttle with no oil before a conrod breaks.

That said, engine repairs where parts break inside usually always means full engine replacement, even [what I think is a broken valve]. just too expensive, the engine rebuild on that bike could easily exceed the value of the bike. I'd be trying to find a complete engine for replacement of the engine complete, otherwise it's worthless, even in parts.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Depends a lot on your finances. Not worth it to repair, as to what you replace it with... well I wouldn't be running the highways on a 125, but that's just me. If you want a smaller bike and plan to look after it and run it into the ground, get a 250 they're plentiful and cheap. If you plan to sell it at some point get a 300.*

Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS
    Yes, the 1L oil capacity with no filter made changes quick and cheap. I wonder if more frequent changes or a different type of oil would've let it live longer. I did often push it beyond its limits and it was in the red going over 100kph when it blew. Glad I didn't get hurt.*

Not sure about fixing it for "fun". A much as I love tinkering it would probably remain an unfinished project indefinitely. I don't have the funds to both replace the bike AND buy parts to repair the old one. Better off letting someone else take it for parts. Perhaps a riding school that uses 125's.*

Bike
    RC
    Sell for parts as is or motor swap and sell with full disclosure.
    Fill the house with bees.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2002 LeMans
    At max speed with the needle in the red? If you're going to blow an engine, that's the way! Makes for a great story at coffee!

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    A lot of good advice has been dispensed. Your idea of getting something now, is generally a good idea, although you may see the prices of things get even less over the next few months.

If you look around you may well find a type of bike in your range with top and or side cases. Being patient will allow you to save more money as well.

Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Bike
    its fast....
    If your going to sell, PM me a price,
    The wife needs a starter bike. and depending how much you want, and condition (not engine condition, but body) might be interested,

Bike
    put a cr500 engine in it.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by HighZoot View Post
    put a cr500 engine in it.
    Be fun, maybe a good project for someone like Bill at 5th Gear, but would take a lot of work and be hella expensive.

Stock motor swap, without a doubt. Not worth it to pull the motor, split it, find the problem, order parts, wait a month for them to show up, install back in bike and have something else fail in the motor a few months/years later. Those little singles get TIRED real fast, everything wears out.

Instead, find donor motor. Pull old one. Install new one. Should only take a couple hours tops.

There's a couple on Ebay right now, one in Alberta, another in Quebec, both under $1,000 shipped to your door, one only has 1,500km on it. One of the local scrappers should have them in stock as well for around the same price.

Bike
    ok cr250...

be cheaper... as those engines cost half as much.

Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I usually ride to the end of October but can live without a bike until next season. Just don't want to be paying a premium for the same bike in March.*

Dexter, I can PM you details. Short version is bike well used. I learned on it, have taught others on it, it was my daily commuter rain or shine.

Motor swap would be easiest but at $1k plus my labour, I might as well add a few hundred more for a completely running bike and save the hassle of screwing something up. And as you mentioned, something else could go on it as a rest of the bike is 'tired'.*

I really thought this bike would last longer than 44k km. Because of the low resale value I said I would ride it into the ground. Looks like I did just that. *

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    It's had it's life... just sell it for parts.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS
    Goodbye 125
    Name:  IMG_20161022_135458 - Copy.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  131.2 KB
    Last edited by Acuracura; 10-27-2016 at 02:15 AM.