NBD (New Bike Day) - Upgrading the N1K to ZX14r
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NBD (New Bike Day) - Upgrading the N1K to ZX14r

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R

NBD (New Bike Day) - Upgrading the N1K to ZX14r

Ok, so now I'm on bike #15........sounds weird even when I type it. Owned the Ninja 1000 for 5 summers and 46,000kms and it was one of the best bikes I have owned. Granted, I sunk $6000 in to it in power and suspension upgrades and it would probably dyno at around 145hp. As more and more of my riding is touring on multi-day rides, I just felt like I wasn't getting enough wind protection with the Ninja 1000, plus there were still some little things about the bike that always annoyed me:
    • No ambient temp gauge
    • No gear indicator
    • No kms to empty gauge
    • Always hated reaching in to the dash to reset the trip

Ridiculous, I know, but those that owned a few bikes know what I am getting at

I've owned a Concourse 1400, and I ride with Chia here from time to time, and have ridden his FJR. Both are amazing bikes, but I'm still stuck on needing to ride a "Sport Bike".....chalk it up to the need to be cool I guess.

So a little more than a year ago I started looking at new bikes. The KTM 1290 Superduke was high on my list, as was the Aprilia Tuona Factory. I looked at all the other Euro bikes and really wanted to buy one, but my practicality won in the end. Bottom line, I'm not paying $25K for a bike that (1) might leave me stranded, and (2) has a dealer support network that I don't trust and is too far away from home. Add to that that the Euro bikes all had less wind protection, and about the same power as my N1K. The FZ-10 falls smack in to the "same power, less wind protection, and the looks are debatable"

Burnaby Kawasaki has been so good to me over the past 10 years servicing and selling 4 of my bikes, that I just could not NOT consider them.

So there is a new N1K expected in 2017. A new GSX-R1000, and a Honda Fireblade, all very exciting, but there is always the challenge of zero aftermarket parts availability. I hate waiting a year just to buy a damn windscreen.

My riding buddy TMR on a our 5 day burn through Idaho and Oregon last month couldnt stop talking about the crazy deal that BK had on 2014 ZX14's, and there were daily conversations about 190 rear wheel HP, slipper clutches, amazing lighting, etc etc.

You all saw the prices, so I am not going to expose them here, lets just say it was too difficult to say No. The only question was....

"Is this thing really as ugly as I think it is?"

In the end it was "who cares?" My N1K is easily the nicest one I have ever seen, but it would never turn heads. So I got past the need for a sexy machine.

A month of reading every ZX14r forum out there, building a list of "Must Do" mods, and Burnaby Kawasaki doing an amazing job of handling me, put pen to paper, and the deal was done.

First step was to swap half the bodywork that was orange for black. Second, install a full stainless and carbon Yosh exhaust on it which dropped 44lbs from the bike and reduced the ugly by about 30%. Speaking with Yoshimura's technical department, they confirmed that the 14 is one of the few bikes that they have tested that does not need a remap, or a power commander. They come from the factory rich. Plug the hoses and she's good. True enough, it runs great. Bike drops from 490lbs to 450lbs. A stock N1k is 450lbs, so we are golden.

Some stomp grip pads, 1" riser bars, rearset relocator plates that push everything back 1.5", an SW Motech tail rack, tail tidy, and swapping over my PR4's as well as my fuse block and all the wiring for heated grips, GPS, Radar, heated jacket, and USB power, and I was rolling. Still have a few bits to put on it like a ZG Corsa windscreen and a shifter arm from a Kawasaki Ninja 650 which is exactly 1.5" longer, and perhaps a shock, but I need to see how well I can dial in the suspension with the stock bouncy bits first. A 55 rear tire helped with the handling, but I still need to jack the ass up alot.

Maiden voyage was a 500km rip up the Cascades, and to no suprise, the passing power is just mind bending. It turns really well, and man does it block wind. Lee, Dean, and Jon were all plugged in, and me, usually the coldest of any group, never did. Even my hands were warm, which is weird, because when you look at the faring you can't imagine why there is no wind on your hands. It's basically a Connie, less 170lbs, with more sporty bike ergos, and electric motor like torque.

On to the pics of my new ugly bike.

The day I picked it up

The $85 USD Rearset relocator blocks FTW

My Radar "Tree"

Ridonculous lighting, especially swapping the bulbs for LED's in the two outer most lamps

Gettting back on the 14 after everyone else took it for a rip near the top of the Cascades this past Sunday
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    nice ride.. I'm kinda glad I didn't get one now
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Why is that?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    interesting switch. yah, it's not the best looking bike on the lot, is it; but you can kinda see how the wind tunnel shaped the front end for penetrating the atmosphere at roughly 300 kph... going plaid!
    as for the power, well it'll pretty much stomp anything else on the road, won' t it. that'll be fun...
    enjoy your new ride!
    Last edited by doser; 09-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Why is that?
    i was mostly being a smart-arse.. my riding mate has one, seems everybody is hopping on the bandwagon thats all; but hey i've seen it in action, seems like a great ride..

i literally was this close to picking one up but i couldnt find a deal i was happy with, then i got my chopper and i'm good,

Erik did get his ecu flashed and all 6 years tuned and he's much happier than stock, thats saying something.. i have a hard time believing anybody
    says nah you'll be fine just leave as is; knowing how neutered these bikes always come from the factory, to each their own though

he's sporting the Brocks full system, short cans with quiet insert baffles.. looks and sounds wicked

Last edited by bacchus40; 09-30-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Well, looks like my thread has re-surfaced. yay!
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    hahahah.. well done

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    Husaberg FS570, Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Bike looks awesome in person, and super comfy. It definitely had me thinking of how fast/awesome I could do trips beyond Idaho,Oregon, etc.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2002 LeMans
    Congrats on the new bike. I took mine to Rod at RMR, it solved a lot of issues. After visiting him it went went around corners much easier.*

The power is truly mind bending. To be able to go that fast, that quickly, yet be docile around town and get great mileage .... an amazing bit of technology. And the smoothness, astounding.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Sweet ride!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    says nah you'll be fine just leave as is; knowing how neutered these bikes always come from the factory, to each their own though
    Ya, I rode CDG's last week and I agree, totally neutered, LMAO. Can your buddy keep up to you on the modded chopper now?
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Ya, I rode CDG's last week and I agree, totally neutered, LMAO. Can your buddy keep up to you on the modded chopper now?
    and there it is, like clockwork.. i'm mostly talking of smoothness of bandwidth, how it makes power, not just how much; we're talking about a guy who generally doesnt care for all the
    gizmoes but he's way, way happier now that it has been setup on all 6 gears tuned individually... no power commander, just a straight reflash replacing oem mapping/timing etc to match new exhaust..

of course it has been delimited but he never exceeds it anyway as we're talking street riding here, can he keep up? to be honest i dont think it works that way with us,
    i'm always 1 or two corners ahead even though that thing surpasses machII in mere seconds.. the real question you should be asking is weather the Raider slowed me
    down this year or not, the answer is a big fat no.. not a chance with all that fvcking torque; i ride same as always, a little more cautious on the tight bends, i'm just more comfortable
    Last edited by bacchus40; 10-08-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Hopefully this thread stays alive long enough for someone to answer.
    I guess I missed "the deal". *How much were these going for?
    Abs model?

I bet the looks will grow on you. I remember being moderately disgusted with my 08 at first. *Now when I see em, I just think rocket sled.*

Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    They advertised them for $11,999 plus they threw in $1000 of accessories, so it was essentially $11,000.

ABS
    Traction Control
    Slipper Clutch
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Hang on a second, hate to de rail. Bacchus 40 goes faster or as fast on a Yamaha Raider as his Yamaha R1?

I can't take it anymore.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!