"In the news again" thread missing.

Thread: "In the news again" thread missing.

Registered User Array dexter302's Avatar
    Bike
    its fast....

"In the news again" thread missing.

I can see it on the main page forums page, but click sub forum, Its gone.
    Click on it from main forums page, It just says "invalid thread"

Are the powers that be going to fix this problem? I mean most people left, And im
    sure the rest are not far off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    Missing threads are often seen ,by me, as posts they say I haven't read the latest responses to. When I look at them, nothing's new. Even if I post on them.

Stranger than a bottle of potato chips.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    its fast....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    Missing threads are often seen ,by me, as posts they say I haven't read the latest responses to. When I look at them, nothing's new. Even if I post on them.

Ive noticed this too. Its a bit annoying, But at least the threads are there....

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Just did a search on this issue on vBulletin sites in general. Nothing recent but this thread is interesting...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ithout-a-trace

Once person mentions a missing tmp directory (post #20 in the referenced thread). Could be something like this, in my view.

My first thought from a sysadmin perspective would be to ask those in charge. Did they migrate this forum to a new server? Did they check to make sure the version of PHP and MySQL they are running (assuming it is MySQL) is correct for the version of VBulletin they are running. Forum software and most CMS require to use specific versions of PHP and MySQL. The tmp directory I would look into. This would explain a lot. Is the tmp dir in the correct or expected place, if not has a symlink been made and has the tmp dir and /or symlink been given correct permissions.

Another thought. Has there been a purge of users from the DB, have a set of sub-forums been amalgamated. These are things that could royally foul things up but I would first check the tmp directory and the dependencies on the server for the version of VBulletin that is being used.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    what he said ^^

just kiddin' i didnt understand a word beyond knowing tmp stands for TEMP.. my work is done here..

and yes what is described above is all i've been seeing for some time.. thread is technically 'there' where ever there is, but new posts dont ever show up mine including..

when clicking on a link to said thread above, all i get is this

vBulletin Message
    No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post

a bottle of potato chips is great for road trips.. less mess involved and every chip pretty much always retains its shape..
    Last edited by bacchus40; 10-10-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    This has become standard for this forum, yet the site admins seem to be treating them like separate incidents.*

Can you please be investigating the root of this problem, and not see it as solved every time you find a missing thread? Seems like that would save time long run. And perhaps save the forum. Seeing as you certainly aren't looking into the asterisk problem. **

Bike
    its fast....
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    what he said ^^

i didnt understand a word beyond knowing tmp stands for TEMP..
    Thats more than i know about this computron and intrawebz stuff.

Bike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dexter302 View Post
    Thats more than i know about this computron and intrawebz stuff.
    its really not as complicated as you may believe.. for the most part those who work with it dont have to understand it in depth either, those who wrote the language knew their shite..

as long as you know the rulez you're GTGO

tmp = temp
    dir = directory

technically just a 'temporary folder' as is used in Windows.. but the term comes from Linux (OS) , as its what most servers run on

the only real detail you need to know about most of the above post is that an MySQL is just a database engine, we use them for Security Access Control (software) Systems all the time,
    Keyscan (most widely used in industry) depends on it, and things can get seriously corrupted. I cant imagine what it takes to keep a forum of this size going year after year..
    things change when different versions of the same engine are introduced, if you dont have all updates implemented across the board, it can get messy.

MySQL is an open-source relational database management system (RDBMS). Its name is a combination of "My", the name of co-founder Michael Widenius' daughter,
    and "SQL", the abbreviation for Structured Query Language. designed for managing data

also.. In computing, a symbolic link (symlink or soft link) is the nickname for any file that contains a reference to another file or directory in the form of an absolute or relative path & (that) affects pathname resolution.

so really, i actually do have a pretty good idea of what our friend is going on about.. seems to me he could be on the right track. considering this stuff is his bread & butter

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    This has become standard for this forum, yet the site admins seem to be treating them like separate incidents.*

Seeing as you certainly aren't looking into the asterisk problem. **
    I had no idea this was even happening, kept wondering what the hell people were going on about suddenly using ** everywhere
    Last edited by bacchus40; 10-10-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    My comments are meant for the sysadmin(s), the server folks who run this site/server. I haven't done any digging to see if this server is run on some variant of Linux or even Windows Server, however the sysadmins will know what I am going on about regardless of the server OS. These gotchas happen often when a forum or other CMS is moved to a different server. It can unwittingly be moved to a different flavour of Linux where libraries and tmp directories are placed into different locations to the originating server or even the permissions on a tmp directly get locked down so the web server doesn't have permission to read the directory. If this were the case, they could check and have the problem fixed in minutes. They should also check the permissions of the directories that house all of the sundry files relating to VBulletin and make sure they are set according to what VBulletin suggest.

Good sleuthing Bacchus. You get the picture.

BTW, system administration is only a part of what I do but I've had my head in Linux and UNIX since the early nineties so much of this stuff is almost second nature to me.

EDIT:

One other thing for the sysadmin to check is in the VBulletin preference file to make sure it references the correct location of the key file and directory types... tmp directory, database, acceptable file extensions, etc. Probably either locatable in the admin backend of VBulletin or in a PHP Config file.

OK I am done.
    Last edited by heisenberg9; 10-10-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg9 View Post
    Good sleuthing Bacchus. You get the picture.

BTW, system administration is only a part of what I do but I've had my head in Linux and UNIX since the early nineties so much of this stuff is almost second nature to me.
    i dabble.. tell you the truth i wish we'd sat down for a beer or two to discuss this stuff while i was young and stupid

when you speak of 'variants of linux' i get a bit of a chuckle.. as i know there have been many, RedHat (introduced in late 1994) i messed around with early on but my interest waned as i got into Electronics Engineering..

Unix i wont even pretend to understand. But i got a guy who knows a guy, you know the type; San Francisco startups and all that jazz

addendum to comments made above... i dont believe these little issues are really on a per-case basis.. treating them as such may be whats actually 'the real problem'..
    there is always a root to the cause.. something got broke months ago, the sooner somebody sees the light the better... its winter so demand on the forum will lessen somewhat..

please fix these little gremlins.. our user-base will take care of the rest
    Last edited by bacchus40; 10-10-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Here to help. This happened shortly after we re-synced the site to regain the Idaho thread that went missing (and is now back)

I'm going to let tech know to re-sync again and do what they can to see if there is a reason we keep getting out of sync.

For now, using the same case #2242614.

Kevin

And it's back again.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...97#post2579297

Still no word on why the site is going out of sync. If/when it happens again let me know. Keep collecting data and maybe we can find the cause.

Kevin

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipB View Post
    And it's back again.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...97#post2579297

Still no word on why the site is going out of sync. If/when it happens again let me know. Keep collecting data and maybe we can find the cause.

Kevin
    Somewhere there is a server or resource with it's time or date set wrong. It's always something that small and/or stupid.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    Somewhere there is a server or resource with it's time or date set wrong. It's always something that small and/or stupid.
    this is something i always keep an eye on with above mentioned Keyscan. synchronize often

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    That's a good point. *I've had incorrect dates be the source of weird problems, hard to track down. *