BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Polish or Chrome?

873 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  J.B. 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of shining up my zx9's swing arm. It's stock now so what's involved. Would it be better to polish or chrome, and what would be involved in polishing an aluminum swing arm? Better yet how do you keep it looking good? Is it coated with something?

#3 ·
If you were to chrome the swingarm, you'd have to chrome the rest of the frame as well... but that looks ghey~

Get it all trim black~

#4 ·
caDey said:
If you were to chrome the swingarm, you'd have to chrome the rest of the frame as well... but that looks ghey~

Get it all trim black~
Definatley. I agree, by just doing the swing arm would'nt cut it.I do find chrome however is very easy to clean. If it is done properly it will last a long long time. I had my wheels done in '98 , and they still look new. My buddy had his done (polished) cost him $845.00. Mine to get chromed, $600.00.:thumbup

G
#5 ·
chromedome said:
Definatley. I agree, by just doing the swing arm would'nt cut it.I do find chrome however is very easy to clean. If it is done properly it will last a long long time. I had my wheels done in '98 , and they still look new. My buddy had his done (polished) cost him $845.00. Mine to get chromed, $600.00.:thumbup
$845.00??? , your buddy got ripped off bigtime!!!

G
#6 ·
Almost every piece of my bike is polished! frame(inside and out) , swing arm , wheels etc.....Go with polishing , you'll actually strip weight off your bike. Yes it is a bitch to keep clean but it looks awesome. Chrome adds weight to your bike and if not properly maintained can chip or bubble. Polished all the way! Chickies will flock to you :thumbup

#10 ·
Polishing all the way. You can do that job yourself. Check my gallery, it looks good and costs next to nothing, only your time.

It's not hard to maintain. I just wash my bike with soap and water and the finish has held up very well. I'll have to touch it up after the bike is parked but that's the price you pay for the look.

G
#11 ·
polish it yourself as a winter project, i did my frame and swingarm in 30 hours and it looks great! Total cost was around $50. YOu need sand paper of varying grains, and aircraft paint remover to get the paint off. From there you just sand, sand, sand.

#12 ·
Its seems like you would rather do the project yourself.Polishing your parts is simple winter project and it looks good.
If your gonna pay someone, you have to go chrome all the way.The best polish job will look dull compared side to side to good chrome.As the prices are close to the same find a chrome shop that stands behind there work and go nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.