BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Buying bike unseen. Would you do it?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  cvrle1 
#1 ·
Would you buy a bike unseen? Of course always better to see it, test ride it and get inspected, but what about bikes that are hard to find locally (BC, AB, WA, etc) or when they do come up they cost arm and a leg. Seeing some good deals on few unicorns back east and south (US), but have no way of actually taking a look at the bike. And i dont know anyone that lives remotely close to the bikes, so that is out of question as well. I guess I could fly out, but that is $500 or more for a flight ticket, so that wont really work.

#3 ·
I've bought a ton of them sight unseen. But always from a dealer where I had some recourse if things weren't as represented.*

Private sale? *That's case by case.

#6 ·
I would have to get an extremely strong feel for the seller and that would be assisted with a lot of high res shots, discussions
via phone, and good facts in writing. I have personally never *bought* sight unseen, but have committed to buying in principal
and traveled with the intention to buy.

Furthest I went personally, was a truck in CA, met the guy at SFO and drove it home, paid him at the airport after seeing it in
person......probably a lot more $$$ than most peoples bikes, so wasn't going to take any chances, even though I had nothing
but solid vibes.

Phoenix is pretty close and there are, or were, often cheap flights out of Bellingham on Alegiant. If you are not saving enough
to offset the flight costs, then why are you even bothering in the first place? If it's not about getting a great deal, but more about
finding a special bike that's not avail locally, you simply have to chalk this up as part of the cost of doing business IMO.

Fly in first thing in the morning and fly back later that day if time is an issue, worst case, one night over.

I'm not up to speed on the import process as it's changed quite a bit a couple years ago, but thought it was a bit of a pain in the ass now?

Hopefully you have all your ducks in a row on the process before you make any steps towards pulling the trigger......clear title in seller's
name being #1, and any recalls being completed, #2.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I imported my car from US 4 years ago, and that was really straight forward. I spent today looking into it, and it seems that things havent changed much in terms of what is needed documents wise. Clean title, Bill of Sale, recall letter (which could be hard one to get, as some dealers dont want to give it out, or want to charge some ridiculous amount of $ for free piece of paper) I checked RIV and bike is ok for importation, it is not on the inadmissible list. Truth be told, I didnt look at the flights, thinking they would be at least double the cost. $250 is fine, and would make sense to do.

Thanks again

#9 ·
Here's an idea......might be a little out there......but , certainly less money than a flight ? Have it inspected at a motorcycle shop in Phoenix

#10 · (Edited)
that was exactly my thought too. and I have a suggestion: Go-AZ Motorcycles in Scottsdale. Huge, and they sell most brands so they're familiar with them all. Built by the guy who made his fortune thru Go-Daddy. Worth a visit if you're in the area...
http://www.goaz.com/

#11 ·
The inspection idea is good, but for me, I would not trust someone I did not know to judge the overall condition.

How many Craigs List ads have you seen where some idiot describes his bike as "MINT" and then talks of a dent in the
tank and a few small scratches here and there. If the same type is inspecting your new bike, he may be able to accurately
speak to the mechanical standing, but other than that....very subjective.

Depends how picky one is, and what the expectation is too.

I have never personally had a motorcycle checked out at a shop before buying, and have found that anyone who keep s a bike
in near perfect cosmetic condition, is typically the the type to not skip basic maintenance. Of course that's a bit of an assumption,
but it's proven accurate for me.

Again, with high res pics and the great sunshine in AZ, it's possible that you can get an extremely good idea that way too.

Have the seller take pics underneath, in the shock area, the chain/sprockets, all engine cases/exterior, under the seat, should all
be tell tale signs of how well things have been kept.

#13 ·
Thanks again everyone. I didnt know that shops would do an inspection for someone who is 1000s of km away. Thats good to know in general. I also do see Chia's point of view as well on this topic. It is kinda luck of the draw who will look at the bike, and if they are having a bad day, or whatever, some things may be missed.

While there is a bike in AZ, I wanted to get more of a general feel and info on this subject. I talked to AZ seller over the phone yesterday. Turns out he is fellow countryman of mine (which could be a good or bad thing lol) I am taking things slowly, as I am not in great hurry to pull a trigger on any bike right now.

#14 ·
One more specific question in regards to importation, if someone knows. I googled it, but it not something that happens often I guess. There is a bike in AB that was imported from US. All was done as it should in AB and bike is registered. I am guessing if I buy it and bring it into BC, I wont have to get any extra checks done, since it was US bike originally? I know that if I just take Canadian bike from another province into BC, ICBC just looks at the VIN number and that is all. I am guessing this should not make any difference as there is no provincial check for bikes being imported from US

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.