BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

If anyone is interested, in getting kevlar.

912 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  b166er 
#1 ·
You can buy it in a shop in Richmond. It's called Ultralux Plastic and they sell it up to 12oz ballistic strength. I bought some 7oz stuff to sew it into some jeans. I paid about $20.00 taxes included, for a piece 17" by 50". 604-278-8333 his name is George.

#3 ·
frEEk said:
excellent info, thanks! i assume they just supply material and don't do tailoring (alterations & repairs etc)?
For the right amount of money, you can get people to do anything...even tailor up a pair of pants.

money talks ;)

#4 ·
Yeah, they just give you the material. Kevlar cloth.

However, the guy lets you use his special scissors to cut the kevlar since it is a little hard to cut with regular scissors. I think it wouldn't cost too much more to have a tailor sew in the stuff for you.

G
#6 ·
i'm more looking for someone with experience in tailoring kevlar. i have a 1pc kevlar suit that needs a good bit of alterations and repair, and i'm not sure any tailor would really be appropriate since i understand working with kevlar is a bit of a different beast, tho how true that is i don't know. woudl jsut get the manufacturer to do it, but i dont have time to ride to cali just for that.

#7 ·
Re: Yeah, they just give you the material. Kevlar cloth.

wildboar said:
However, the guy lets you use his special scissors to cut the kevlar since it is a little hard to cut with regular scissors. I think it wouldn't cost too much more to have a tailor sew in the stuff for you.
just give 'im a pair of "Cutco" scissors and put him to work.
make sure the conditions are sweaty...don't want him to feel home sick :evilgrin :laughing

#8 ·
The cloth has a weave to it, so I don't think there would be any problem sewing it onto another fabric. It isn't like a solid piece of impenetrable plastic. He said that you can even "spray glue" it onto another cloth if you wanted. The thing with Kevlar is, don't use any bleach on it. I thnk it weakens it considerably. Also remember to use a strong thread to sew it on. Otherwise it might not be of much use. Oh and to everyone else, your welcome. I hope it helps. I've been riding in jeans lately. I feel uncomfortable taking a spill in them, however wasn't willing to fork out the 175 bucks to buy some kevlar lined jeans. I was actually thinking of sewing the kevlar knee pieces to make a pocket for some knee armor. So not only do you get the abrasion resistance of kevlar but you get some impact protection as well.

#9 ·
As someone who spent the 175 bucks on the Draggin Jeans at the bike show this year I have to say that it was worth it :thumbup I feel much more confident knowing that I have more protection than plain jeans. Have yet to test the abrasion resistence tho, maybe I'll get the knee down one of these times and see :p :rolleyes Only thing is the kevlar material is somewhat thick, I had to go up a size and then it was a more-or-less comfy fit. So if you're planning on making this a DIY project I'd suggest buying a pair of "fat" jeans, as my gf calls em :eek :D and put the kevlar in those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.