Feel free to move this out of the newbie area if any mods disagree with the content/placement of this thread.
I'm still seriously thinking about getting a bike. Heck, I'd have one right now if I could swing the extra cash, but my nice car just cracked a head and my beater is needing a bit of work. I can't justify selling either.
I've thought long and hard about the good parts of owning a bike. The feeling of freedom, the increased involvement with the road. Transportation that is more fun than the destination. Coolness factor. Cheap gas. Something new.
I've even thought about the obvious drawbacks. Expensive. Can't get groceries. Don't want to take passengers. Way easier to damage. Dangerous.
So now I need your help. I need some experienced riders to educate me about the nasty things that you don't often hear about. Honestly, I'm almost hoping somebody can come up with something terrible enough that I'll be able to silence the voices telling me to get a bike. :P
Here's a rough list, feel free to add anything else that'll make a newbie think twice.
1. How many close calls have you had? More than with a car?
2. How many accidents have you had?
3. How bad were you injured in the accidents?
4. Have you ever been scared so badly that you wanted to stop riding?
5. Was it worth it?
6. Would you feel comfortable with somebody you care about on a motorcycle? I know for a fact that I don't want my fiance on a bike with me.
Post pics if ya want. Please don't think I'm just looking for an excuse not to get a bike. I'm just not comfortable with making a decision this important unless I've seen all sides of it.