Breaking in my Honey
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in my Honey

Bluestone

Breaking in my Honey

I need KMs!!!! but it's gonna be rainy all week, and i'd rather not ride in the rain yet. If I were to put Honey on her rear stand, turn her on, put 'er in gear and ride her while on the stand, could i put a few kms on her this way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    I wish.
    I think it's better to have stress on the engine. So I'm going to go with an uneducated, "no".
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    2003 GSX-R 1000
    You are gonna need tro ride it if your gonna break it in properly. You have to very your speed and RPM's and dont forget the tranny needs the same attention that the engine does, its still real tight and need to be loosened up. The engine needs load in order to wear it self in.
    "Life is like a book. If you have not travelled, then you have only read one page."

MSN - burton6r@hotmail.com

Bike
    2014 FZ-09
    I'm picturing that movie, "Ferris Bullars Day Off" your bike falling off the stand and flying through your garage door.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Originally posted by absolutdm
    I think it's better to have stress on the engine. So I'm going to go with an uneducated, "no".
    Elevate yourself to the ranks of the "edumacated" because your 100% right.

Bluestone, you need to have a load on the rings to break them in properly. Just running it on a stand won't generate enough pressure in the cylinders.

Save it for a nice day and plan on a set of boutique coffee shop stops. You want the first half dozen runs to be about 6 to 8 miles with a full cool down for about an hour in between. The first few runs is all about heat cycleing the metal to relieve any machining stresses. After that just use it but don't abuse it. No full throttle for the first 1000 km but graduated short bursts starting at 1/3, moving quickly up to 1/2 at about 400 km and then up to 3/4 over the rest of the period is good practice. And the rpms can move from peaks of 5000 to 9000 over the same period. Then after the valves are done at the first big service you can spank that puppy.

This is a bit more aggressive than the manual suggests but well in line with normally accepted practice.

And besides, we don't want it popping out through the garage wall like Quasi suggested now, do we?
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    just ride it in the rain

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R
    yeah, just ride it in the rain and make sure you're smooth with the controls (cause it help makes you become smoother and faster in the dry)
    Last edited by thr1; 02-18-2002 at 12:58 PM.

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    it's gonna be a pain in the ass to clean the bike after riding in the rain though.
    i still have to wash the salt off from last week's ride

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R
    Originally posted by bl1tz
    it's gonna be a pain in the ass to clean the bike after riding in the rain though.
    its raining now, just park the bike outside

Bike
    dont worry about it, after a few weeks, you'll get too lazy to wash the bike A good wash once a month is all I do. If my bike has been treating me really good, I may give her a wax.... but ONLY IF SHE TREATS ME NICE!

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    Originally posted by thr1

its raining now, just park the bike outside

if only i had an R6 !!!!

Bike
    '07 Aprilia RSV1000R

if only i had an R6 !!!!
    i see you still dream about owning a R6 huh?

Bluestone
    I gave in and rode in the wet today. It just started raining lightly 10mins after I left, so I figured what the heck. After all, I'm gonna be riding her in the rain later on, so might as well break her in that way. And, I need the kms.

Bike
    I wish.
    Originally posted by Bluestone
    I gave in and rode in the wet today. It just started raining lightly 10mins after I left, so I figured what the heck. After all, I'm gonna be riding her in the rain later on, so might as well break her in that way. And, I need the kms.
    I feel your pain man. I can't tell you how many nights last summer I snuck out in the evening just purely to put on kms and nothing more.

I wanted to break that baby in BAD.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R

Too late, Bl1tz. The salt will have done it's worst by now.
    What was it all about?