Simple great question

Thread: Simple great question

Registered User Array
    Bike
    RR

Simple great question

When I push the bike at low speed i can hear a squiky noise from the front brakes. I understand this might be due to cold brakes in the morning. But I hear the same noise under braking after riding for 1 hr. Is this noraml? I just got new pads.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    Do your brakes squeek constantly, or intermittently?

could have warped rotors.

info please
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Registered User Array
    Bike
    RR
    yes has been squeeking constantly lately
    also when coming to a slow stop the front brakes skips

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    That skip thing makes me suspicious that your rotor(s) may be tweaked a little. It may be worth getting a shop to check it with a dial guage for any warping or kinks. Or it may be a spot of oil or other contaminant on the rotors. Clean them first and then see what happens.

My original pads only made sporadic mild scuffing sounds when being pushed around but my new EBC HH pads make more noise. The big question is whether or not there's any significant drag associated with the noise. If no then forget it, if yes then have your brakes rebuilt over the winter. Older or neglected systems can build up friction in the pistons that restrict the pad travel resulting in too much pad pressure in the idle condition.

Our brake systems do not use any sort of pad retraction springs or other devices so they depend on simple riding forces to move the pads back to a clearance spacing. Having your pads still show signs of slight scuffing after a ride shows that your rotors are very flat and aligned and that the pads are in very close proximity. If they had any significant runout they would push the pads back and you'd hear silence or once per turn scuff sounds when pushing the bike. And THAT would, ironically, be a sign of trouble.

So be happy with your (light) scuffing sounds. Scuff proudly and scuff often...
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.