In-Lane Passing Etiquette?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In-Lane Passing Etiquette?

jughead

Question In-Lane Passing Etiquette?

Hi all... can I get your thoughts on in-lane passing etiquette (if there even is such a thing)? Here's the situation...

So I'm riding (solo) and waiting at the end of the line behind a few cagers in a left-turn (signal) lane sitting in position 2.5 (and enjoying the fantastic day I might add). As the light goes green and I start to take off, some hotshot on a bike comes up from behind and doesn't miss a beat in passing me in my lane (thru position 1) and proceeds to turn through.

What's up with this? While it wasn't that dramatic, a second later and I would've started the turn in the proper lane position (being 1) and likely would've clipped this guy and we'd both be laying on the road. There was another biker riding with him (ending up behind me) but he made no such attempt like the other joker (though he had me eye-balling my mirrors out of concern).

Anyways, is there some protocol that I missed out on? I can understand some form of in-lane passing if this were a group ride (e.g. waving each other up or something) but just some stranger that happens to come up from the rear and sees a split-second opening? Let alone in a stop and go turning situation? Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. It would be my understanding that it would be MY lane (whether I decide to weave back and forth or not) and not have to worry about another bike squeezing in there... it's bad enough to have to worry about the cagers let alone fellow bikers!

Any insights are appreciated.

And so the poetic end to my 'lil incident is that I passed this guy a few lights down noticing that he had to pull over to the curbside after nearly rear-ending a bus (yes, a BUS) 'cuz this moron was going too fast (and not respecting the bus pulling out...). I doubt he learned any lessons though...

Be safe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    No there is no protocol that you are missing out on. As you said, this guy is just simply a moron. There is simply no excuse for what he did. The least he could have done was sound his horn so you knew he was coming. It probably didn't matter even if you were in position 1 because it sounds like he would have passed you either way. This guy doesn't deserve to have a license, if he has one at all. To endanger his life is one thing but to endanger the life of someone else, and another fellow biker at that, is just plain stupidity.

The only advice would be to also look behind you, whether in mirror or over shoulder, before you start off. Glad to hear nothing happened.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    He was a dumbass, plain and simple.
    Why were you in position 2.5?
    Aren't you supposed to be in 1 or 2?
    2.5 would have been considered a passive lane positon, almost confusing to the rider coming up behind you.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    No bike should ever be passed in its own lane unless waved on.

Frank pretty much summed it up.

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA
    Yup. Always check your mirrors and blind spots before changing lane position, because all the idiots aren't on four wheels...

-Matt

You gotta lean into it! Array InvisibleSoul's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja Silver ZX1R Pocketbike (Matching ZX6R Stolen)
    Yeah... how come you were in 2.5 though?

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    Originally posted by cosworth
    No bike should ever be passed in its own lane unless waved on.

Frank pretty much summed it up.
    werd.

ALways gotta look out for Morons splitting your lane.

I've had this happen a few times myself...scares the shit out of ya, cuz like you say...shortly you're always about to change position for a turn, etc.
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Bike
    I wish.
    Ditto to what is said above. It's happened to me before, and I'm really not sure what these people think, as I can change lane positions (especially at speed) instantly.

The only time I'm guilty of it at all is when I ride with people I know very well, and often times in slower traffic we'll ride tandum.
    BCSB- Administrator

jughead
    Being at pos 2.5? No real reason in this case (I suppose a lack of discipline/experience then... or me just being a Sunday rider). Don't get me wrong though, I know I should be approaching a LH turn in pos 1... then mebbe this would've been avoided... or I'd be posting to you about the same dude passing me in pos 3... heh.

Thanks for your comments though.

WHOOOOSSHHHHHH... Array
    Bike
    95 Ninja ZX600C
    clarification: i know the lane positions by their icbc's "tuning for riders" name --> left, centre, right....but i don't know it by numerical...which corresponds to which #?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '00 Suzuki SV650SY
    Originally posted by CB450
    clarification: i know the lane positions by their icbc's "tuning for riders" name --> left, centre, right....but i don't know it by numerical...which corresponds to which #?
    1 is left
    2 is centre
    2 is right...

WHOOOOSSHHHHHH... Array
    Bike
    95 Ninja ZX600C
    do you mean 3 is right? ok, that makes sense...thanks!

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    It shouldn't matter what lane position he's in. Ideally, 1 but for a number of reasons (e.g. oil patch, tar strip, etc...) he could have chosen a different position. Irregardless, the dumbass shouldn't have passed.

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    Originally posted by jughead
    Being at pos 2.5? No real reason in this case (I suppose a lack of discipline/experience then... or me just being a Sunday rider). Don't get me wrong though, I know I should be approaching a LH turn in pos 1... then mebbe this would've been avoided... or I'd be posting to you about the same dude passing me in pos 3... heh.

Thanks for your comments though.
    I'm in the same boat, being in pos 2.5 instead of 1. However, it's usually when the light turns yellow and I hit the brakes.

----
    Did my first day ride today. Still a LONG LONG way from being good enough to pass my class 6.

Registered User Array overdraft's Avatar
    Bike
    08 Honda CBR1000rr, 05 Honda CBR600rr, 70 Honda CB350
    Why the HELL has someone developed a numbering system that has to be cross referenced to REAL position descriptions? Why not just say left/center/right? I know I'm an old fogey (you know, I hate change) but I'm not gettin' this. Maybe one of the new riders can help me figure this one out?