BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Reversed shifting

968 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Thrasher 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what are, if any advantages to having reversed shifting (1st up, 2,3,4,5,6 down).
Do the gears go in more positive because of pushing it down instead of pulling it up?

Thanks,

#6 ·
i've done it for a month now, easy to adjust while on the street, i found my first track day with it, the first few sessions i was about to reverse it back, but i stuck with it, and now i wont go back. I was repeatedly hitting neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd in the tight stuff all the time and it was getting annoying, that was the main reason why i switched.

#9 ·
I understand the benefits of a reversed shifter when upshifting, but doesn't make it harder to downshift? When you're braking for a corner your weight shifts forward, the balls of your feet are on the pegs and instead of just pushing down on the shift lever to downshift you have to slip your toe under it and lift the lever up one or more times to downshift. That seems to me like it would be awkward.

It's an easy mod (at least it is on my F4) and should only take a couple of minutes. Since I don't know the correct technical terms so I won't bother describing what you have to do.

#11 ·
KatRider said:
I understand the benefits of a reversed shifter when upshifting, but doesn't make it harder to downshift? When you're braking for a corner your weight shifts forward, the balls of your feet are on the pegs and instead of just pushing down on the shift lever to downshift you have to slip your toe under it and lift the lever up one or more times to downshift. That seems to me like it would be awkward.

It's an easy mod (at least it is on my F4) and should only take a couple of minutes. Since I don't know the correct technical terms so I won't bother describing what you have to do.
i didn't find shifting into a lower gear any problems. What i find is these street rearsets, the levers are hard to get my toes onto cause they are so long, i need something thats curled so i can shift while tucked easier.

#12 ·
Not every bike converts to this easily. Some don't have the clearance to do it and require more serious modification. I used to do this to every bike I could, especially older stuff with worn shift dogs, etc.

Most people don't have as much movement upwards in their ankle as they think they do. Adjusting the shifter is vital to proper trans performance.

Reversing the pattern allows you to stop grinding your toe off while leaned over and upshifting and will provide quicker and stronger engagement.

Caveat: You can damage the trans doing this because of the excess force you might be applying to the shift lever. Too much force is as bad as too little and, the potential for damage is greater.

Also, be careful hopping on a regular shift bike after this, as you will be downshifting when you're shifting up.

Crotch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.