Lawmaker kills Biker
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lawmaker kills Biker

Bike
    1966 CCM

Lawmaker kills Biker

I wonder what kind of mickey mouse sentence this guy gets..

Lawmaker Said to Run Stop Sign in Crash

By BERNARD McGHEE
    .c The Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - Rep. Bill Janklow ran a stop sign before his Cadillac collided with a motorcycle at a rural intersection over the weekend, killing the motorcycle rider, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Investigators still have not determined how fast Janklow was driving, said Moody County State's Attorney William Ellingson.

But preliminary reports indicate Janklow went through the intersection without stopping, Ellingson said. He said Janklow's car traveled about 300 feet after impact.

Randolph E. Scott, 55, of Hardwick, Minn., died when his motorcycle collided with Janklow's car near Trent, about 25 miles northeast of Sioux Falls. Scott did not have a stop sign at his intersection.

The investigation should be done in the next two to three days, South Dakota Highway Patrol Capt. Jeff Talbot said. The results will then be forwarded to Ellingson, who will determine if charges should be filed, Talbot said.

The most severe potential charge would be vehicular homicide, although alcohol or drugs must be involved, Deputy Attorney General Bob Mayer said Tuesday. The maximum penalty for vehicular homicide is 15 years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

If alcohol is not involved, second-degree manslaughter can be charged if evidence suggests death was caused by recklessness, Mayer said. Second-degree manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Careless driving, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine, also could be charged if there is no evidence of recklessness, Mayer said.

Other possible charges include failure to yield and running a traffic signal, among others.

Talbot said Janklow's 1995 Cadillac has a black box, which records information such as how fast the car was going and whether the brakes were applied.

``We've recovered that and that's going to be analyzed to see if any information can be derived from that,'' Talbot said.

Authorities are also talking to five witnesses as they investigate the crash, Talbot said. One of the witnesses is a second motorcyclist who was traveling with Scott.

The crash has led to closer scrutiny of Janklow's spotty driving record. The former four-term South Dakota governor is a notorious speeder, picking up a dozen speeding tickets in a four-year period in the early 1990s.

However, Janklow has not been ticketed for speeding since October 1994, just before he was elected to his third term as governor. He served as governor from 1979-1986 and 1995-2002 before being elected to the state's lone House seat last year.

Janklow also got several speeding tickets during his first term as governor. He was warned in 1982 that he was in danger of losing his license after being stopped for going 80 mph in a 55-mph zone in Turner County. Janklow had received a similar warning in 1979 during his first year in office.

Janklow hurt his right hand and suffered a head injury in Saturday's crash. Chris Braendlin, one of Janklow's staff members, was traveling with him but was not injured, authorities said.

Janklow was on his way home to Brandon after attending an event in Aberdeen to honor Korean War veterans.

Blood was taken from Scott and from Janklow for testing and authorities expected to get results back sometime Tuesday, Talbot said.

Last month, doctors considered double bypass surgery after they found a narrowing of a main artery leading into his heart. But doctors ultimately decided the narrowing was just part of Janklow's natural physical makeup. Instead of surgery, Janklow said he would take some additional medications and try to lose weight.

In 1998 and 1999, he suffered life-threatening health problems and was hospitalized at the Mayo Clinic. He was diagnosed with and treated for diverticulitis, inflammation of the pancreas and diabetes.
    Iím not crazy, I just need to get off this island. The doctors donít believe I invented the chocolate ťclair. But I did. Iím going to burn them all and drink soup from their skulls! Happy soup! Untie me and Iíll kill you last!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    Book 'im danno
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    Ė Albert Hubbard

Bike
    thats why you should be slowing down a bit and use caution when going through a intersection without stop signs or lights.
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    1966 CCM
    Originally posted by CG
    thats why you should be slowing down a bit and use caution when going through a intersection without stop signs or lights.
    This one had a stop sign, it said the guy in the Caddy ran it
    Iím not crazy, I just need to get off this island. The doctors donít believe I invented the chocolate ťclair. But I did. Iím going to burn them all and drink soup from their skulls! Happy soup! Untie me and Iíll kill you last!

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    CG meant 'without a stop sign...' in your direction of travel. Don't assume others will follow all the rules.

You don't have fender benders on bikes

Bike
    XR650R Sumo
    What with this, do all newer Cadi's have these??

Talbot said Janklow's 1995 Cadillac has a black box, which records information such as how fast the car was going and whether the brakes were applied.

You gotta lean into it! Array InvisibleSoul's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja Silver ZX1R Pocketbike (Matching ZX6R Stolen)
    Probably not? You can get them for any car though, I believe.

Bike
    yup, some interesections, i notice on side streets, some dont have 4 way stop signs, just 2 way.
    BCSB- Moderator

wimmeh
    Originally posted by CG
    yup, some interesections, i notice on side streets, some dont have 4 way stop signs, just 2 way.
    whats even scarier is there's many intersections in Vancouver where there are NO stop signs in any of the four directions. wunder if sum of those crew guyz r too lazee 2 put them up =]

Bike
    Originally posted by wimmeh
    whats even scarier is there's many intersections in Vancouver where there are NO stop signs in any of the four directions. wunder if sum of those crew guyz r too lazee 2 put them up =]
    yup, tons of those, and people just fly thru those like crazy. i slow down to a snails pace and check both ways on those too.

heck, i see people run stop signs in neighbours alot, it pisses me off.
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    Yeah right!
    not just cadi's. luxury cars in general have this. my buddy's m3 has an equivalent of an airplane black box that records every little detail. it's especially for those that lease vehicles and return it in bad shape.

Originally posted by orbit
    What with this, do all newer Cadi's have these??

Bike
    1966 CCM
    my god....I sure hope my Busa doesn't have a "black box" recorder

Bike
    Red
    Originally posted by 3 of 7
    my god....I sure hope my Busa doesn't have a "black box" recorder

especially when the boose is for sale and up comes some jackass with a laptop.
    one of these days i'm gonna change my evil ways, till then i'll just keep ridin' on.

Bike
    1966 CCM
    Originally posted by avsagain

especially when the boose is for sale and up comes some jackass with a laptop.
    That would be embarrasing ....(it would make it pretty tough to bullshit about my riding abilities eh?)

Bike
    Red
    blows the whole "mature rider" status right outta the water.
    one of these days i'm gonna change my evil ways, till then i'll just keep ridin' on.