LINUX help please...

Thread: LINUX help please...

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Naked SV

LINUX help please...

I am running Mandrake 9.1 and a new ASUS motherboard with integrated sound card. Previously there were no new drivers that would let me have sound when using Linux (I am new to Linux so I have an XP partition as well) but I recently downloaded a new driver from the VIA site that works with my sound card.

Now how the heck to I install it? I went into Mandrake control center to configure the sound driver, but there is no 'browse' option that allows me to select the directory which I have the new driver. Is there a specific driver directory I have to save the driver to so that when I go to my drivers list the new one will be on there? It gives me the option of picking my own driver, but the one I just got is not in the list.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    השטן שב

seriously. if the company makes the driver, they damn well better have documentation to go with that. no README? no INSTALL file? or is it just a single piece of source you need to compile?

$ man insmod
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

was it a binary file, or source? if its binary, just insmod the module..if its source...compile and then insmod