Wanted: Nice Roads for New Riders

Thread: Wanted: Nice Roads for New Riders

Registered User Array ConcreteCarver's Avatar
    Bike
    '05 CBR 600RR

Wanted: Nice Roads for New Riders

Just started riding this year and I`m looking for suggestions for some good roads to ride locally. I`m in Burnaby. I`ve done Harisson Hot springs and Golden Ears, back roads of Pitt Meadows... I want to wait a bit for the Sea to Sky since I heard it`s a bit much for a newbie like myself. But maybe that`s BS.

-Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1965 - 2005 Hondas

re: routes

I can't offer any personal recommendations, but grab yourself a copy of the book "Destination Highways" (ISBN 0-9684328-0-8)which has many BC roads and routes detailed. Includes authors assessments of road difficulty & condition / scenic quality, remoteness, and character of a road. Also includes B&B / Hotels contacts etc.

According to the website, its available in Burnaby at:-

Burnaby Kawasaki
    7771 Edmonds 604.525.9393

Honda Centre
    3766 E 1st St 604.293.1022

or check the website destinationhighways for other locations.

Well worth a read.

Bike
    its blue

Re: Wanted: Nice Roads for New Riders

Originally posted by ConcreteCarver
    Just started riding this year and I`m looking for suggestions for some good roads to ride locally. I`m in Burnaby. I`ve done Harisson Hot springs and Golden Ears, back roads of Pitt Meadows... I want to wait a bit for the Sea to Sky since I heard it`s a bit much for a newbie like myself. But maybe that`s BS.

If you've ridden all those roads already then I suggest you immediately head to Squamish via S2S the next sunny day (probably tomorrow).

The road is just fine for "newbies" it all depends on how fast you want to go.

No one says you have to take the 60km/h sweepers at 130+
    Just hold it at a level you're comfortable at and you'll enjoy the ride.

Note that, as usual, the posted limits (60's) are pretty conservative. You can easily take those at 90 and still be riding a very easy "newbie" pace.

don't worry so much, and go have fun.

Bike
    600RR Yeeeellllooow
    I'd suggest the Sunshine Coast but that is not really a newbie road unless you're willing to take it at EXACTLY the speed limit for at least the first time going. There are many decreasing radius turns and is pretty known for its accidents. But that is one of the best rides I've had since it's pretty filled with nice twisties. When you get more experience, check it out, but remember to follow the speed signs until you at least know the road~

As for the DH (Destinations Highway) book, I highly recommend it to see which roads you would like to ride. It comments on how nice the road is, if it is twisty or not, how much of the road is gravel/paved/blah blah blah, and it also tells you where there are gas stations, eateries, motorcycle shops... and if you show them the book, you can usually get discounts (stated in the book) and stuff~ Definitely worth those coupla bux~ Ride safe~ Have fun... and save racing for the track~ cya on the road... rubber side down~
    We rode our bikes together, we laughed together, we cryed together, we even lived together. All our friends said we were a the perfect match. I can tell the world that I know I'm the luckiest person alive because I got to live my dream for 3 years 7 months and 11 days.

Bike
    '05 CBR 600RR
    Right on, thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Bike
    check out Byron's site (BCrider99), he has some good maps and routes for local riding.

http://members.shaw.ca/bjs1/motorcycle_pages.htm
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    Originally posted by CG
    [B]check out Byron's site (BCrider99), he has some good maps and routes for local riding.
    Yeah, Byron's site is awesome, and make sure you head out with him on his newbie rides on Thursdays too. Check out his "ridefinder" message board and he usually posts up. He's a great leader for newbies and knows most (if not all) of the great roads close to town.

Happy riding!!

Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

bonafide hedonist Array baboon's ass's Avatar
    Bike
    06 k6, 08 cbr1000rr
    go up to cypress bowl sometimes. there are a few good curves on that hill but beware of the usual radar trap at the bottom just before the first big right turn. sometimes the cops will setup shop just before the the view point . so beware on that long straight away. if the road is closed then head to squish.
    06 k6
    08 cbr1000rr

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Highway 7 past mission is a nice quiet ride with some corners.
    Its not a whole lot of road, and it will only take you to Hope, but I can see it being a good beginners road.
    I recommend doing this road westbound at dusk.

Bike
    '05 CBR 600RR
    Never been to whistler in the summer, I think it's S2S time. I'll just avoid riding past my ability, maybe find a station wagon to tag behind.

Thanks for the link, wicked site.

Cheers

Faster, Faster! Array Sparklebunny's Avatar
    Bike
    FZ6
    You should check out the Fort Langley area and go up towards Aldergrove via River Rd. At the end of River Rd (272 St) , make a right. There is "some" very nice twisties but mostly it's all farm land with nice long stretches to let her rip. It's nice and quiet and VERY stresss free riding. Absolutly no traffic. It can get kind of boring but if you're like me, you might enjoy just exploring all of those little streets and finding what's out there. Easy afternoon riding, perfect for those days when you woke up too late to actually go for a day long ride.
    Sparklebunny

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    Originally posted by Sparklebunny
    There is "some" very nice twisties but mostly it's all farm land with nice long stretches to let her rip.
    I usually find the long stretches to be the most boring. Nothing to do but let her rip. But then, I'm paranoid about cops. I prefer lots of twisties. Much more fun. I'll head further out to Sumas, or to the best twisties in Washington.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Originally posted by Dru
    I usually find the long stretches to be the most boring. Nothing to do but let her rip. But then, I'm paranoid about cops. I prefer lots of twisties. Much more fun. I'll head further out to Sumas, or to the best twisties in Washington.
    Great idea. Cross the border at Sumas (usually a very short wait) and head out towards Mt. Baker or south on Hwy 9 towards Sedro Wooley. Plenty of little side roads to explore and traffic is light.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    But it isn't really newbie friendly. However, I can still be considered a newbie... It's tougher than the S2S, but if you take it slow, and within your comfort, it will put the biggest smile on your face. Just ask Squire or Rice Rocket. They will tell you the exact same thing.

BikerGirl

Re: Re: Wanted: Nice Roads for New Riders

Originally posted by johan
    If you've ridden all those roads already then I suggest you immediately head to Squamish via S2S the next sunny day (probably tomorrow).

The road is just fine for "newbies" it all depends on how fast you want to go.

No one says you have to take the 60km/h sweepers at 130+
    Just hold it at a level you're comfortable at and you'll enjoy the ride.

Note that, as usual, the posted limits (60's) are pretty conservative. You can easily take those at 90 and still be riding a very easy "newbie" pace.

don't worry so much, and go have fun.
    Have to agree - Sea to Sky was on my list the third week after finishing Action (May 2003). Ride the speed limit - cars will bitch, but let them bitch. After you go from Vancouver to Squamish three or four times it will all feel right.

P.S. If you've ever gone up Cypress or Seymour - you'll do just fine.

Good luck..

Y.F.N.B.G.