ROAD RACING - Hayden over Hayes in Superstock
By Henny Ray Abrams

To the Wire

Kawasaki’s Tommy Hayden made sure the Genuine Suzuki Accessories Superstock Championship would go down to the final round by riding his Kawasaki ZX-6R to victory at Virginia International Raceway.

Hayden took the lead from Attack Suzuki’s Josh Hayes on the 12th of 17 laps, then incrementally edged away to win by 2.046 seconds.

“I think I had the bike to win the race, I definitely had the speed and horsepower,” Hayes said. “He was just doing lap times that I couldn’t run. We’ve got to race for the championship so you’ve got to be smart here.

“We got one to go so it ought to be a barn burner to the end.” Third went to Kawasaki’s Tony Meiring with Valvoline EMGO Suzuki’s Steve Rapp making a late bid for fourth.

“Those two guys (Hayden and Hayes) were there all week today, they run hard,” Meiring said.

Then came Corona Extra EBSCO Media Suzuki’s Adam Fergusson, the Australian fading from an early second to fifth after a near high-side in the opening laps.

Yamaha’s Jason Disalvo rode aggressively on his Yamaha R-6 to take sixth, dropping Hooters Suzuki’s Vincent Haskovec to seventh.

Going into the final round at Barber Motorsports Park in three weeks, Hayes lead Hayden by eight points, 298 to 290, with Haskovec dropping to third at 279.

1. Tommy Hayden (Kawasaki)

2. Josh Hayes (Suzuki)

3. Tony Meiring (Kawasaki)

4. Steve Rapp (Suzuki)

5. Adam Fergusson (Suzuki)

6. Jason Disalvo (Yamaha)

7. Vincent Haskovec (Suzuki)

8. John Haner (Suzuki)

9. Eric Wood (Suzuki)

10. Jacob Holden (Suzuki)