Custom Ear Plugs - Custom Protect Ear
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Ear Plugs - Custom Protect Ear

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)

Custom Ear Plugs - Custom Protect Ear

A lot of you have ridden with me and have seen the ear plugs that I wear. They are silicone, molded to my ears. They are a convertible earplug, which means that they have a cord that you can take out, or leave in, depending upon what you’re wearing them for. These ear plugs that I have (and that are recommended for motorcyclists) are vented and thus allow you to hear outside noises (ambulances, screeching cars, etc.) while removing the wind noise and high decibels that will ruin your hearing. I find them very comfortable, and the company will guarantee that they will last for 5 years. (They keep the original mold on file and will make another pair for you at a cost of $65 + tax).

I have just spoken with the representative, and he is offering these ear plugs for $83 + GST to us (the regular price is $130). He also looks after the Vancouver Island district and will also make arrangements for those of you who are in the Okanagan and Caribou that wish to purchase them. He tells me that he will come to your home and do the mold for you. The plugs take about three weeks to arrive.

If you’re interested, you can check out their website at www.protectear.com and the model number that I’m speaking of is NNR25 “db Blockers Convertible Vented”.

Here is the contact information:

R.T. (Ron) Davis, Account Manager
    Custom Protect Ear
    #681 - 7789-134th Street, Surrey, BC
    (604) 599-1311
    1-800-520-0220

You may have seen their booth at the Motorcycle Show at Tradex, and if you want to wait until then I know they can make them at the show. For all of you fashion buffs, there are different colours too!!
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    1200 RT
    Can you say Costco??

Can you say $55?

Bike
    Next summer I'll buy another.
    Originally posted by BMR
    Can you say Costco??

Can you say $55?
    which costco has these??? I'm interested.

Bike
    1200 RT
    Richmond and PoCo

jughead
    I wonder what are the differences between these and the Costco brands (other than price, duh)... anyone know?

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    Quality... you get what you pay for. Also, make sure you check the dbs... what sound each of the ear plugs blocks out might be different.
    Taking It to the Track

Crabalocker
    The ones from custom protect ear have a small "filter" thing inside that can be exchanged to vary the dB range it blocks out.
    I have been using plugs from these people for years through my work and i love them. (they are the "convertible vented" kind.)

I would definitely recommend them for anyone who wants the best hearing protection available. However, the company i work for pays for them, and i didn't realize they were so expensive.

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    I have had a few people ask about my moulded earplugs lately, here's the thread from last year.
    Taking It to the Track

I Came,I Saw,I Conquered Array Yammer Jammer's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Duc 848
    I picked up a set of the vented ear plugs the beginning of this season. These things are the best investment you could make. I will not... repeat... will not go on a "spirited ride" with out them. You'll find that once you start wearing them (on the highway is the most nocticable) that you will wonder what the HELL you were thinking not wearing them in the first place... Oh wait, you couldn't think cause the wind noise was so FRICKEN loud with out them. I occasionally wear them around the city and they probably hinder your hearing about 5% than if you werent wearing them. If anything they make it easier to hear ambulances and other emergency vehicles along with horns honking cause I've found they filter out majority of that "Road Noise" that you get while in heavy steady moving traffic. I'm sure we've all had the shit scared out of us by some Jackass and his 35" knobbed out mud huggers howling by us right? They are a little frusterating while sitting at a stop light beside one of your buddies and he's trying to talk to you. Takes a little getting used to. I would recommend these ear plugs to anyone that wants to listen. Like Tony the Tiger said...... TTTTTtttthhheerrrreee GREAT!

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    any thoughts on how these compare to 3M foamies?

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)

Earplugs

Ace, no comparison for comfort. These are moulded to YOUR ears and fit quite comfortably. You kinda have to stuff the 3M's in and let them expand... not quite as nice a fit. These earplugs are definitely a good investment.

In terms of noise reduction - check out the website and if any of the db tests mean anything to you that should give you a good indication of the noise blockage. I think the salesman told me that they reduce the noise in the db's that can affect your hearing (whatever that means). Give them a shout & I'm sure they'll be able to answer your question better than I can attempt to do so.
    Last edited by Squire; 06-21-2004 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Information update
    Taking It to the Track

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    ah sorry i was actually wondering how much better are they in terms of noise reduction. personally i dont have a big problem with the comfort level of the 3Ms but they still are noisier than i would like.

Bike
    08 KLR
    Quote Originally Posted by ace`
    ah sorry i was actually wondering how much better are they in terms of noise reduction. personally i dont have a big problem with the comfort level of the 3Ms but they still are noisier than i would like.
    Here's a really good comprehensive link on the subject:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm
    Transportation is serious business.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by ace`
    They have different levels of protection, well over anything you'll need on a motorcycle.

The biggest difference I find (I have a set of customs from the same place) is that the vocal range of frequencies isn't as attenuated as higher frequencies. So, it's easier to hear voices and other stuff (like ambulances and engine revs) , but you still get protection. They are absolutely FABULOUS to wear in a noisy bar/club and still carry on a conversation. And the foamys always started to hurt my ears after a while.

Dietrich
    Hm.. damn another thing to consider buying. Custom fit definitely makes sense, but is there anything else comparable that is a bit more affordable, maybe $30-40 price range?