BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Custom Ear Plugs - Custom Protect Ear

8K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  SVR 
#1 ·
A lot of you have ridden with me and have seen the ear plugs that I wear. They are silicone, molded to my ears. They are a convertible earplug, which means that they have a cord that you can take out, or leave in, depending upon what you’re wearing them for. These ear plugs that I have (and that are recommended for motorcyclists) are vented and thus allow you to hear outside noises (ambulances, screeching cars, etc.) while removing the wind noise and high decibels that will ruin your hearing. I find them very comfortable, and the company will guarantee that they will last for 5 years. (They keep the original mold on file and will make another pair for you at a cost of $65 + tax).

I have just spoken with the representative, and he is offering these ear plugs for $83 + GST to us (the regular price is $130). He also looks after the Vancouver Island district and will also make arrangements for those of you who are in the Okanagan and Caribou that wish to purchase them. He tells me that he will come to your home and do the mold for you. The plugs take about three weeks to arrive.

If you’re interested, you can check out their website at www.protectear.com and the model number that I’m speaking of is NNR25 “db Blockers Convertible Vented”.

Here is the contact information:

R.T. (Ron) Davis, Account Manager
Custom Protect Ear
#681 - 7789-134th Street, Surrey, BC
(604) 599-1311
1-800-520-0220

You may have seen their booth at the Motorcycle Show at Tradex, and if you want to wait until then I know they can make them at the show. For all of you fashion buffs, there are different colours too!! :)

See less See more
G
#7 ·
The ones from custom protect ear have a small "filter" thing inside that can be exchanged to vary the dB range it blocks out.
I have been using plugs from these people for years through my work and i love them. (they are the "convertible vented" kind.)

I would definitely recommend them for anyone who wants the best hearing protection available. However, the company i work for pays for them, and i didn't realize they were so expensive.

#9 ·
I picked up a set of the vented ear plugs the beginning of this season. These things are the best investment you could make. I will not... repeat... will not go on a "spirited ride" :evilgrin with out them. You'll find that once you start wearing them (on the highway is the most nocticable) that you will wonder what the HELL you were thinking not wearing them in the first place... Oh wait, you couldn't think cause the wind noise was so FRICKEN loud with out them. I occasionally wear them around the city and they probably hinder your hearing about 5% than if you werent wearing them. If anything they make it easier to hear ambulances and other emergency vehicles along with horns honking cause I've found they filter out majority of that "Road Noise" that you get while in heavy steady moving traffic. I'm sure we've all had the shit scared out of us by some Jackass and his 35" knobbed out mud huggers howling by us right? They are a little frusterating while sitting at a stop light beside one of your buddies and he's trying to talk to you. Takes a little getting used to. I would recommend these ear plugs to anyone that wants to listen. Like Tony the Tiger said...... TTTTTtttthhheerrrreee GREAT! :thumbup

#71 ·
I used to use the foamies @ work and for riding. I was geting ear infections due to rolling them up either with dirty hands or even the natural oils from my hands. I now work and ride with the custom protect ears and they ROCK! I could not work a day without them. I had my work pay for them as a safety item.

#11 · (Edited)
Earplugs

Ace, no comparison for comfort. These are moulded to YOUR ears and fit quite comfortably. You kinda have to stuff the 3M's in and let them expand... not quite as nice a fit. These earplugs are definitely a good investment.

In terms of noise reduction - check out the website and if any of the db tests mean anything to you that should give you a good indication of the noise blockage. I think the salesman told me that they reduce the noise in the db's that can affect your hearing (whatever that means). Give them a shout & I'm sure they'll be able to answer your question better than I can attempt to do so. :)

#14 ·
ace` said:
ah sorry i was actually wondering how much better are they in terms of noise reduction. personally i dont have a big problem with the comfort level of the 3Ms but they still are noisier than i would like.
They have different levels of protection, well over anything you'll need on a motorcycle.

The biggest difference I find (I have a set of customs from the same place) is that the vocal range of frequencies isn't as attenuated as higher frequencies. So, it's easier to hear voices and other stuff (like ambulances and engine revs) , but you still get protection. They are absolutely FABULOUS to wear in a noisy bar/club and still carry on a conversation. And the foamys always started to hurt my ears after a while.

#16 ·
Yes, it's expensive, but well worth the money. Consider you will wear these for several years at least (as long as you don't lose them).

I love mine for all the reasons listed above: comfort, quality, protection, AND they're easy to insert, AND they are easily cleaned AND they live in my jacket pocket and are always there, ready to use.

They work well trackside when I'm a corner marshall at Mission too :D

#18 ·
Important Update!

I called Ron Davies this morning, he was out but I left a message for him. He just called back with some updated info for us.

The price for the Convertible earplugs is now $110.90. If we can get more than 10 people together for an order, we can get the <b>discounted price of $87.00</b> a pair (plus GST, I believe).

He has two names of people who are interested, and expects this thread may encourage more to call him. I offered to coordinate names for him from people here on the site, so if anyone here is interested in a pair of these please pm me, if I can get 11 people together we'll go ahead.

G
#20 · (Edited)
Spike said:
I called Ron Davies this morning, he was out but I left a message for him. He just called back with some updated info for us.

The price for the Convertible earplugs is now $110.90. If we can get more than 10 people together for an order, we can get the <b>discounted price of $87.00</b> a pair (plus GST, I believe).

He has two names of people who are interested, and expects this thread may encourage more to call him. I offered to coordinate names for him from people here on the site, so if anyone here is interested in a pair of these please pm me, if I can get 11 people together we'll go ahead.

Edit: Misread.

#21 ·
Dietrich said:
Maybe he'd be willing to do a price cut if we had a group buy... ?
Ummm... the $87 instead of $110 IS a group buy!

But I also would recommend trying the foamies before worrying about the custom ones. I like the AOSafety ones from Canadian Tire, they are PVC foam - I find them easier to use than the orange 3M ones.

#24 ·
I have a set sitting in the drawer in my desk, I prefer the 3m foam ones...I find the custom ones are easy to knock out of place when I put my helmet on...And at 10 cents a pair for the 3m's I can have a pocketfull around for whenever I need em (or to lend to friends)...The foam ones also fit nicely in the lining at the top of your helmet, so you always know where they are......

Whatever plugs you use....Use plugs!!!!!

#26 ·
Dietrich said:
Hm.. damn another thing to consider buying. Custom fit definitely makes sense, but is there anything else comparable that is a bit more affordable, maybe $30-40 price range?

My sis is an audiologist, and makes me custom plugs for free. I have three different pairs, but I always go back to regular foamies. I find them comfortable, and I don't give a shite if one falls down the sewer drain after a ride.

I just wash the foamies in lightly soapy warm water when they're dirty, and let them dry overnight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.