Bent Wheel or alignment off ? Also Tire Sun Damage......

Thread: Bent Wheel or alignment off ? Also Tire Sun Damage......

Bike
    ZX9R

Bent Wheel or alignment off ? Also Tire Sun Damage......

When my buddy is riding behind me he says my wheel is not spinning true, its a tiny bit wobbly. I can feel it sometimes, and im kinda worried that it might cause an accident at higher speeds. Could this be an alignment issue, or do I need a new wheel ? Also, my front tire is a bit sun damaged (cracking) and I dont want a blowout on the highway, and the back tires feels a bit spongy when im riding. Where is a good place to have these 3 things looked at ? Could the bent rim be causing headshake when I take my hands off the bars when going slower ?
    A friend is someone who will come and bail you out of jail.....A best friend will be sitting next to you saying "damn that was fun"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If your wheel is bent then if certainly could induce headshake. This is not an alignment issue. If you had a true running rim it could still be misaligned.

You need to;[list=1][*]check you rear wheel bearings[*]check your rim for runout if the bearings are good[*]check your tire for bead or tread distortion if the other two above check OK[/list=1]

You can check you own rim and bearings easily. Put the bike up on the center stand or a rear stand and try to rattle the wheel from side to side while feeling for any play. Any at all and it's new bearings for you. If the bearings are OK then stick a wire or clothespin or whatever onto something on the swingarm so that the end is sitting real close to the bead of the rim and turn the wheel. Watch for any runout by looking at the space between the end of the pointer and the wheel bead. I'd have to check a shop manual but if it's less than 2 mm's then it's fine. That leaves the tire as the suspect.

As for the drying and cracking of the front tire it's time for new ones unless you don't ride aggresively. Those are age cracks and indicate the rubber is turning hard. Hard tires don't grip very well. It won't blow but you may get some nasty surprises if you start conering hard or have to panic brake. If they are older than 5 years spend some money for heaven's, and your own sake.

Your rear feeling spongy is probably related to the wobble, tire wear or low pressures. If your rear is as old as the front obviously is then it's probably just wear. Long before you notice the tread is worn the tire has lost it's proper profile and the bike handles like crap.

The tires on my 9R have just over 9000 kms on them but I'll be replacing them very soon because the flattish center area is making the bike feel like it's possessed by evil demons......
    Last edited by TeeTee; 05-15-2002 at 04:15 PM.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    ZX9R
    thanx very much for that thorough response.....appreciated

A friend is someone who will come and bail you out of jail.....A best friend will be sitting next to you saying "damn that was fun"