BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Rossi jumps ship to Yamaha; Edwards joins Hayden

3K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  ehtaylor 
#1 ·
#29 ·
CG said:
even if he did get out of his aprilia contract, why would he want to go back to honda? I thought he was pretty pissed off at them.

Yeah, but to get back on a competitive bike I'm sure Edwards could put his hurt feelings aside. (There's something to be said for never burning any bridges.)

G
#34 ·
Ruben Xaus and Hodgson on the D'Antin Ducati??? That Ducati 4some is gonna be tough to beat. WSBK looks like it's going down the drain, losin the top 2 riders in WSBK.

I would like to see Rossi on the Yami. Would help balance the powers between the top 3 manufacturers.

#36 ·
CG said:
heh, i thought there we rumors that ducati wanted Xaus to come over to AMA superbike and ride a duc in that series, can't remember where I heard that, think it was on Speed TV.
There was an article on that interview on RRW.com...you may have seen it there.
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=7414

...then he said Ducati wants him to stay in World Superbike. Originally he said he didn't want to compete in a single-tyre championship, "I may as well be club racing..." Now he seems to have flip-flopped.
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=7429

#37 ·
ahh...

"My goal is to go to MotoGP and I want to continue with Ducati. They fired me last year because they thought they had Edwards and then when Edwards went to Aprilia they made me a good offer and I went back, but it was more like Hodgson's team." -Xaus

i find that amusing, ducati fires him, then brings him back right away. Shows that anybody is expendable, even if your a superstar.... not like in pro. sports over here, where the athletes have so much power in what they get paid and where they want to go.

#39 ·
Re: Xaus

CG said:
i find that amusing, ducati fires him, then brings him back right away. Shows that anybody is expendable, even if your a superstar.... not like in pro. sports over here, where the athletes have so much power in what they get paid and where they want to go.
I think it has to do with the fact that there are so few competitive seats available and the need for teams to secure sponsorship and other commitments long before the start of the season.

I'd like to see Xaus racing in the AMA, but I'd be worried about how his crash-happy style (though he is having more success staying upright of late) would mix with the concrete walls on the AMA circuit.

#40 ·
This was posted on MD a couple days ago:

Where did most of the blame go for Jeremy McGrath's poor performance in the 1997 AMA Supercross series: his riding skill or his Suzuki RM250? You probably figured this one out . . . his Suzuki took the lions share of the blame, because his riding skill was proven before he left Honda at the end of the 1996 season.

By all accounts, Yamaha is trying hard to take Valentino Rossi away from Honda for the 2004 MotoGP season. If successful, Yamaha will have the best roadracer in the world aboard its factory MotoGP machine next year. A double-edged sword, for sure.

Maybe it goes something like this. If the best rider doesn't win on your bike, it's your bike's fault. If he does win, the rider, not the bike gets most of the credit. Any way you look at it, if Yamaha lands Rossi, Yamaha better win next year.
Interesting, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.