The best penetrating oil and degreasers?

Thread: The best penetrating oil and degreasers?

Bike
    1987 TZR 250

The best penetrating oil and degreasers?

I have a ton of carbon and oil buildup. I have to get this caked on tar off. Citrus degreaser was way too weak. WD40 is too mild and superclean didn't help much either. Enyone know of a really good degreser?

Also, the power valve is stuck due to carbon build up. Mr Wrench looks like it might do the trick, but again, anyone know of a more powerful penetrating oil?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    WHen it comes to getting most things off, i go straight for gasoline....and paint thinner too. they both work great, and for the most part, unless you're actually on paint, you don't have to be too concerned about damaging a finish. (you can always try it first in a place you can't see)

Go to Lordco. they've got lots of really good products.

oh! break cleaner works something fierce too!

and have you tried CLR? probably the pooriest of 'em all, but you may have some around to try first.
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Super-Fast Redneck Array jschapansky's Avatar
    Bike
    99' Yamaha R6 turned Streetfighter
    use gasoline just dont leave it on long. feel free to scrub a little with a soft bristled tooth brush.. thats what i do
    2 wheels or 4 wheel drive

Bike
    :'(
    Penetrating oil: Natural lube, you might have to work at it if you're not slick, or if she's not into it, otherwise....KY.

Degreaser: Ivory usually works.

Sorry, I had to.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Z1000
    Simple green! smells good too!
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

Bike
    1987 TZR 250
    I tried out some kerosine this afternoon, and it worked great for getting the tar off.

I also stopped by a heavy duty mechanics shop, asked them what they use as a release agent. They recommended something called "Howe's Penetrating Oil". I got some Gunk Liquid Wrench too, and I'm going to pit them against each other. I'll let you all know which one works better.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    For cleaning off the goo I recomend Kleen-Flo engine shampoo. Unlike solvents and kero it's OK on the rubber bits for short term use and it cleans up with a water sprinkle really nice. Get it at Lordco. Scrape off the worst buildup and then work the Kleen-Flo into the remaining crap with a small brush scrubbing it up into a dirty foam. Rinse and smile.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array kevsninja's Avatar
    Bike
    ninja
    brake fluid is one mother of a stripper

Team No Team Array
    Bike
    CRF450X
    Brake cleaner works good, especially cause its pressurized. But if its a chain its best to clean it with lube, cause you don't really want to strip the o rings of the lube already in there.

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    Watch yourself folks. Stuff like "Simple Green" has a nice name but actually contains some very harmful stuff. Gloves and ventilation. Same goes for brake cleaner, which contains the same active ingredient as dry cleaning fluid and is very poionous. Hazards of gasoline and kerosene are well documented. Several known cancer causing agents as well as things that can build up and do liver and kidney damage. Easy entry to bloodsstream through skin contact.

Wear heavy gauge gloves when working with any of these (save Ivory ). As a health and safety officer, I get this kind of information all the time.

Crotch

Master of Puppets Array Cometman's Avatar
    Bike
    Team Green
    Our shop uses a penetrating oil called Moovit. Our Millwrights swear by it and from my experience it does seem to work pretty well.

Brake cleaner works exceptionally well as a degreaser, but as Crotch said it is nasty stuff.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Originally posted by kevsninja
    brake fluid is one mother of a stripper
    This was probably meant to say brake CLEANER. Brake FLUID will strip the paint as well as the grease....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    2003 GSXR 1000
    try this:

Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Dexron II, IIe, or III Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

- mix them all together depending on how much you need, then walla!!!!! u got a powerful and cheap degreaser.
    R.I.P. - Corey(Xyban)

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Dano, skip the acetone if you're planning on using this witch's brew on any sort of paint.

Folks, PLEASE go back and read Crotch's info about the toxicity of many of the solvents we tend to use. Do yourself a favour and get some of the green nitrile gloves and USE them whenever working with any solvent. Latex will dissolve after a while when used with solvents. The nitrile is immune to most of the common ones.

Brake cleaner especially will strip the oils from your skin almost immediately. Using this stuff for a few days in a row can often lead to temporary solvent induced exzema. That scaly splitting skin condition that can be so painful. Other solvents will do the same thing but just take longer.

Think smart and plan for a HEALTHY old age....